Hopefully someone can help me. This is the second model I have had this happen with. I primed the model with the Alclad gray primer and let it dry for 24 hours. I then sprayed the Aclad Aluminum and 24 hours later the paint is still tacky. I don't leave a finger print on it but it is tacky to the touch. The last model I let it alone for 2 weeks and it was still tacky. Has anyone else had this experience? I'm really not sure what to do at this paint.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tom

Something is not right. I can shoot Alcald II over Tamiya primer that has dried for less than an hour - in dry conditions. The Alclad dries almost as soon as it hits the surface.

Are you thinning or otherwise adding anything to the Alclad before you shoot it? Are you shooting the coat in very humid air? Are you shooting thin coats and working your way back?

Alclad is pretty bulletproof and forgiving.........................I can't see how it can be tacky after 24 hours. I'm usually working with it within a half hour.

Edited by Ace Airspeed

I did not thin it. I am airbrushing at 8 psi and building up with several light coats that I sprayed one after the other. The primer coat seemed fine, it's the aluminum that never set up properly. It was humid outside but I was running the air conditioning the past few days so I would think it was dry inside.

Tom

Hmmmmm...........

I shoot my Alclad at about 15 to 20 PSI........................it dries almost on contact. I shoot thin, almost powdery coats.......................usually no more than two.

I have never had a problem with tacky Alclad coats.

From what I'm reading, you're putting on too many coats - especially if you're laying them on wet. Alclad II needs to go on nice and silky dry as you pass with the brush.

Edited by Ace Airspeed

OK, thanks for the input. Perhaps I was putting on too many coats at one time but I thought it dries really quickly so it would be OK. I will give your suggestions a try. I will up the pressure a bit and try two light coats and see what happens. I'll try it on some scrap pieces with some primer and aluminum. I'll let you know how I make out in a few days. Thanks again for your help.

Tom

Just to report out. I tried again on a scrap model. I first airbrushed on the gray primer at 15 psig which went on smooth and dried thoroughly. I waited 24 hours and sprayed two light coats of aluminum. I sprayed that at 8 psig which seemed to work best for me. I checked after an hour and the aluminum is dry also, no tackiness. So I guess my color coats were too heavy. Thanks very much for the advice. You helped me out of a jam. I really like the aluminum finish too.

Tom

Edited by Tom G