Hasegawa 1/48th scale F-8E Crusader

Hi everybody,

Something of a redundant post here given my postings over at HyperScale and Britmodeller, but for those who havent seen it yet, here's my F-8 Project. This is something of a 15-year inside joke between myself and the guy who asked me to build it for him, a former pilot with VMF (AW)- 235.

Innovations include a cutting edge cockpit tub (love the tub, hate the panel) ejection seat, hypo tubing pitot probe, cut-out and boxed-in cockpit boarding steps, Opened up ATM exhaust, scratch-built catapult bridle attachment fitting, and coloured sprue wingtip lites.

Hope you likee.

david

DHF-8EAirframeGeneral003.jpg

DHF-8EAirframeGeneral002.jpg

DHF-8EAirframeGeneral001.jpg

DHF8EScallop002.jpg

DHF8E-NosePort001.jpg

Hi Robert,

The white-ish trim was done using the Eduard Express mask set for the F-8 kit. I didnt get a perfect result; will probably go back and fix a spot here and there, BUT it definitely made my life easier.

You ever use those -135 tailplanes??

david

Really looking good. Can you explain how you did the white trim on the front windscreen? I can never seem to get it right when I try it.

Robert

Hi David,

Thanks, still not sure how you went about using the mask though. I know how the mask works, but can't picture it in my head how you got the line by using the mask? Yes I am slow at times. :jaw-dropping:

No haven't used them yet. Been trying to get my other partially built kits out of the way first. Don't want to start anything new till the shelf queens get done. But I am itiching to get my hands into one of my -135's soon.

Hope your move went well and you have settle in comfortably?

Robert

Hi Robert,

The white-ish trim was done using the Eduard Express mask set for the F-8 kit. I didnt get a perfect result; will probably go back and fix a spot here and there, BUT it definitely made my life easier.

You ever use those -135 tailplanes??

david

Hi Robert,

My canopy painting evolution is a three-step process.

First, i masked off and sprayed the inside of the canopy with cockpit interior black. This was BEFORE i got the Eduard masks set and i just did the best i could. i avoided painting the areas to be covered by the narrow whitish strips.

Next, The Eduard painting instructions are a two-step process. First you lay down the masking over the clear areas, and spray the colour of the fibreglass strips. I remember Tom Weinel saying something about how they're not a lurid yellow, so for the windscreen, i started with MM Flat White and added Israeli Green very gradually until i got a off-white with a minty, green hue. For the canopy, same approach but i added MM Insignia Yellow to the white. A little goes a long way!!

Once THAT step is done, you remove those masks and re-apply slightly larger ones that cover the greenish areas i just painted. For the windscreen again i used MM cockpit interior black. For the canopy, i mixed MM 36440 and 37875 together 50-50. Straight from the bottle the MM Gull Gray looks too dark to begin with, and it just goes downhill from there once you go over it with repeated clear coats and washes.

I have re applied the masks, and i am clear coating the model now with Future.

So now you know!

Cheers,

david

Hi David,

Thanks, still not sure how you went about using the mask though. I know how the mask works, but can't picture it in my head how you got the line by using the mask? Yes I am slow at times. :woo:

No haven't used them yet. Been trying to get my other partially built kits out of the way first. Don't want to start anything new till the shelf queens get done. But I am itiching to get my hands into one of my -135's soon.

Hope your move went well and you have settle in comfortably?

Robert

aahhh, now I got it! :thumbsup:

Be glad I got it to, otherwise my next step was to have you draw it out for me. :rofl:

Thanks,

Robert

Hi Robert,

My canopy painting evolution is a three-step process.

First, i masked off and sprayed the inside of the canopy with cockpit interior black. This was BEFORE i got the Eduard masks set and i just did the best i could. i avoided painting the areas to be covered by the narrow whitish strips.

Next, The Eduard painting instructions are a two-step process. First you lay down the masking over the clear areas, and spray the colour of the fibreglass strips. I remember Tom Weinel saying something about how they're not a lurid yellow, so for the windscreen, i started with MM Flat White and added Israeli Green very gradually until i got a off-white with a minty, green hue. For the canopy, same approach but i added MM Insignia Yellow to the white. A little goes a long way!!

Once THAT step is done, you remove those masks and re-apply slightly larger ones that cover the greenish areas i just painted. For the windscreen again i used MM cockpit interior black. For the canopy, i mixed MM 36440 and 37875 together 50-50. Straight from the bottle the MM Gull Gray looks too dark to begin with, and it just goes downhill from there once you go over it with repeated clear coats and washes.

I have re applied the masks, and i am clear coating the model now with Future.

So now you know!

Cheers,

david

Hey Terry,

Yes, the masking was a bit of a challenge. My biggest fear was getting the shapes right, so that the white stars would fit inside. The good news about the Limited edition Hasegawa release was they gave you the option of painting the red and then applying the white pinstripes and stars on top. I cut those decals out and laid them on the model in order to get the geometry right, then laid down the masking tape around them.

I started decaling the port side yesterday. Still bogged down with stencils.

Cheers,

david

Excellent paint job! The masking must have been challenging.

Terry