USMC GBU-12 Thermal coating?

I am building a VMFA-122 F/A-18C Hornet 2007 MCAS Beaufort, South Carolina. You know, the one with the blue tail and the Crusaders logo on it.

I understand that Navy GBU-12's have a rough thermal coating on theirs.

Would a USMC version also have the same thermal coating on them? (Since I think thermal coating is primarily for the use on carriers, and MCAS Beaufort is landbased..)

Any help would be appreciated.

Sid

Edited by Sid de Koning

The Navy/Marine Corps supply line is the same, so yes, they would have the coating applied. USMC jets are regularly deployed on carriers, so they use the same bombs, even when they are "land based".

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801

Would there be a reason or situation where USAF planes would carry the coated bombs, such as in a shortage situation, or is there a clear separation of AF and Navy? Not trying to stir poo, just have always wondered about this.

Erin

<*>

I guess in a dire situation anything is possible, but the AF and Navy/Marines have thier own seperate supply lines, so in a "normal" situation, the answer would be no. I know a lot of the times that different configurations (GBU-12 seeker heads for instance) are used by the different services. They may be trying to standardize things now, but I know for a long time the AF used a different seeker head on the GBU-12 than the Navy did, in addition to the ablative coating.

Aaron

I guess in a dire situation anything is possible, but the AF and Navy/Marines have thier own seperate supply lines, so in a "normal" situation, the answer would be no. I know a lot of the times that different configurations (GBU-12 seeker heads for instance) are used by the different services. They may be trying to standardize things now, but I know for a long time the AF used a different seeker head on the GBU-12 than the Navy did, in addition to the ablative coating.

Aaron

There are numerous MAU-169 seekers, some for USAF, others for USN/USMC, NATO, and other foreign customers. However, for modeling purposes, they are indistinguishable (e.g., even though things like the seeker "birdie" have changed over time, these external changes can be found on all the variants made at the same time).

As far as the thermal protective (TP) coating on USAF aircraft goes, the only example I've seen is of them using the BLU-126/B Low Colateral (LoCo) damage bomb, which was developed by the USN and apparently bought unchanged by the USAF. The LoCo looks like a TP BLU-111, which is a Mk 82 case filled with a different explosive fill. It is painted 36375 gray and identifiable by three 2" yellow bands at the nose, and a fourth yellow band aft of the suspension lugs. The LoCo has a smaller amount of fill than a regular Mk 82 or BLU-111 and is only used as part of a JDAM or LGB.

• 3 months later...
Is FS 36375 the correct colour for the coating on all the US Navy's GBU's?

No!

I have seen Mk80 series bombs on my last four deployments on both the USS Truman and the USS Nimitz, range in color from Lt Grey, Dk Grey, to some OD Green, or various of shades of those as well. This is strictly a "Your Mileage may vary" situtation with regards to the color of the coating on USN/USMC bombs. Remember that the PAVEWAY and JDAM's are bolted on kits that attach to the Mk80 series of bombs.

I have a question about the coating, actually about modelling the coating. I have seen attempts to recreate this coating in scale but I say "attempts" because I've never seen it done accurately. I've seen it attempted with Mr Surfacer but this is really lumpy and looks out of scale. I've been up close with these bombs the actual surface is not that big. Both times I've seen this done with Mr. Surfacer it looked like BIG gravel when in fact this surface on a real bomb is like pea gravel. Any suggestions? I've thought about using a media blaster but this surface would be too fine. Need something between BIG gravel and sandpaper.