I've had great success with Scalecoat's paint remover. Really worked as advertised on acrylics, enamels, and multiple layers. So far, I haven't noticed adverse affects on plastic. I cleaned the plastic very, very well with alcohol after using the paint remover, and haven't noticed an adhesion problem thereafter. It doesn't smell particularly toxic, but obviously I wouldn't recommend drinking or inhaling it, either. With something so effective at cutting paint, I instinctively wear vinyl gloves when using it.

Awkward, however, could be quantity and use, depending on the size or shape of the model, or the parts involved. It's expensive, but reusable, but the model will have to soak in the stuff for about twenty minutes at least, so you'll need some sort of trough or tub that fits fairly closely to the model.

Incidently, Scalecoat paint is good stuff, too, provided you get the stuff that's for styrene. Not many military modelers seem to know about this stuff, but as is usual, railroaders usually get better stuff before we do.

Edited by Fishwelding

I swear by Super Clean Degreaser - $7/gallon at Wal-Mart. I dump a jug into an adequately-sized rubbermaid container and put the model pieces in. If the parts aren't completely covered, you can pour water into it, and it will still do the job. Let the parts sit for about 24 hours, then pull them out (WEAR GLOVES!), give them a halfway-decent scrub with an old toothbrush, then wash them under flowing water for about 5 minutes. They assemble, repaint and decal.

I swear by Super Clean Degreaser - $7/gallon at Wal-Mart. I dump a jug into an adequately-sized rubbermaid container and put the model pieces in. If the parts aren't completely covered, you can pour water into it, and it will still do the job. Let the parts sit for about 24 hours, then pull them out (WEAR GLOVES!), give them a halfway-decent scrub with an old toothbrush, then wash them under flowing water for about 5 minutes. They assemble, repaint and decal.

I think it is now sold under the name "Purple Power", or at least here it is.

Same stuff as Castrol "Super Clean" as far as I can determine from other modelling sites.

I think it is now sold under the name "Purple Power", or at least here it is.

Same stuff as Castrol "Super Clean" as far as I can determine from other modelling sites.

Interesting... We have both "Purple Power" and "Super Clean" at my local Wally-world (Note: Super Clean is not distributed by Castrol any longer). I've never tried Purple Power at all - the Super Clean stuff works so well on styrene, why mess with something that ain't broke? :lol: