Fun: Best SciFi Scene (Ever)??

What's the best SciFi Scene ever on film?

The opening scene in Star Wars where the Star Destroyer just seems to keep flying over your head, firing on Leia's ship totally changed my life (1977) and made me love scale models.

Opinions?:

Hmmm...

Khan's death rant in STII: TWOK...

Then there's the beginning of 2001: A Space Odyssey, with Strauss' "Also Sprach Zarathustra" playing over the Apes...

I love the haunting intro in the first Alien movie where you see the Nostromo glide into that starsystem...it all breaths forboding doom!

Sends shivers up my spine every time I watch it!

As a Sci-Fi fan, there are many great scene for me.

Maybe by categorie

Space

The opening scene of 2001 (after the apes) with the space station and the different space vehicles

Star Trek - The Motion Picture

Scottys Flyby in the Travelpod, showing the NCC-1701 Refit in its full glory - IMHO the best use and timing of music ever used in a movie. That scene alone is worth watching the movie every time it is on TV.

TimeTravel

Back to the future

There is (to me) not one specific scene - the whole triology is great.

The Time Machine (Rod Taylor Version)

the first Time Travel, the changes in the shop window across the street - to me a great classic

The Flight of the Navigator - the shape changing space ship.

Cheers

Thorsten

Yeah, the opening scene from SW Ep. IV is great.

Another one of my favorites is the scene from Close Encounters when Roy Neary is in his electric company service truck and is stopped on the road at night in the middle of nowhere's while he's looking at a map and he waves the UFO behind him to pass, then all hell breaks loose when he realizes that the lights went over his truck, instead of around it..

Edited by Charlie Cheetah

The scene in Aliens (1986) where Ripley,Newt and the remaining Marines are tracking the progress of the aliens towards them on the motion detectors until they realise where the aliens are....

Stephen

1. Opening crawl of the Star Destroyer.

2. Kirk and Scotty's visual inspection of Enterprise while in dry dock.

3. Enterprise Departure from dry dock in The Motion Picture.

4. The 'submarine' battle between Enterprise and Reliant. Especially when Kirk has Enterprise come up from behind Reliant...

5. Ripley in the loader battling the Alien Queen.

Gees.. there are probably 100 others but I'm brain cramping right now...

The opening scene in Star Wars where the Star Destroyer just seems to keep flying over your head, firing on Leia's ship totally changed my life (1977) and made me love scale models.

Opinions?:

Oh absolutely!!!

The other was the Millenium Falcon making a jump to hyperspace! I remember going WOW on that scene back in 77' or 78'!

Not forgetting the end battle where fleets of Xwings flying out of Yavin to attack the Death Star!

But I am a SW fanatic, I could go on on the OT and the PT all day.

There's one movie I can't remember the title but there was a scene when the F-14 Tomcats got timewarped back to WWII and went against the Zero. Damn, love to watch that movie again if I can remember what movie that was! LOL

The most recent one was Star Trek which I thought was very good! There are quite a few scenes that does it for me.

B

{snip}

There's one movie I can't remember the title but there was a scene when the F-14 Tomcats got timewarped back to WWII and went against the Zero. Damn, love to watch that movie again if I can remember what movie that was! LOL

{snip}

The Final Countdown...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080736/

Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen..

Edited by RiderFan
Oh absolutely!!!

The other was the Millenium Falcon making a jump to hyperspace! I remember going WOW on that scene back in 77' or 78'!

Not forgetting the end battle where fleets of Xwings flying out of Yavin to attack the Death Star!

But I am a SW fanatic, I could go on on the OT and the PT all day.

The most recent one was Star Trek which I thought was very good! There are quite a few scenes that does it for me.

B

That would be ...

The Final Countdown

For me, like mentioned, the Opening to SW: A New Hope ... You just knew this was going to be good ...

Ripley's climatic fight with the Alien in Alien ...

Some of the fight scenes in Ghost in the Shell , IE: When the Major is fighting the bad guy while cloaked, great animation ...

The Light Cycle Battle in TRON ...

The vignette of Conner not aging while his beloved Heather ages and finally passes away in his arms in Highlander ...

Gregg

Mine, in no particular order:

The Empire Strikes back: Millenium Falcon in the asteroid field trying to evade the Imperial fleet

Opening sequence of SW; Ep III

Terminator: when Arnold comes into the police station and says: "I'll be back"

The Andromeda Strain (the 1971 original movie); when the scoop capsule is in the lab and they find the 'green rock' and it starts 'growing'

Rollerball (the original movie): when Jonathan E is circling the track after killing all his opponents and the crown is chanting "jon-a-than, jon-a-than, jon-a-than...."

Soylent Green: the scene where Edward G Robinson goes into the chamber to die, I just love the music and visuals in that scene

Inner Space; when Martin Short yells "I'm possessed!"

Jeff

The X-Wings rolling in on the Death Star trench in the first Star Wars - an absolutely mind boggling sight to see on the big screen back in '77. That movie changed movies forever...

:woo:

Opinions?:

Yep, same here :lol: Though I was building models before the movie.

Edited by madmike
Hmmm...

Khan's death rant in STII: TWOK...

Then there's the beginning of 2001: A Space Odyssey, with Strauss' "Also Sprach Zarathustra" playing over the Apes...

They stole it (and a few other scenes "He Tasks me. He TASKS me. I'll chase him..............") from the film "Moby Dick" staring Gregory Peck. In TWOK, you can see that book on the book-shelf.

In TUDC, Kirk & McKoy get sent to Rura Pentae (the alien's graveyard). See the original Disney film, "20,000 Leagues under the Sea" staring Kirk Douglas & James Mason (and others).

The X-Wings rolling in on the Death Star trench in the first Star Wars - an absolutely mind boggling sight to see on the big screen back in '77. That movie changed movies forever...

:P

I picked that scene wrong. I guessed that young Luke would have dived vertically towards the target vent (evading the guns AND the waiting Vader) to use the Force to score a hit in the target vent.

OK, so he went into the trench. I then guessed that he would pull a loop ("Let him go. Stay on the Leader"), come in behind the three TIE-fighters, used the Force to blow them away, then use the Force to score a hit in the target vent.

Boy, was I wrong.

George, out..........................

The Empire Strikes back: Millenium Falcon in the asteroid field trying to evade the Imperial fleet

Seconded.

Also, out of Empire: the scene in which an Imperial Star Destroyer, huge as it is, is slowly engulfed by the shadow of Vader's Super Star Destroyer and, of course, the entire Hoth battle - I sometimes pop my Empire dvd in just to watch that section, and end up watching the whole thing again.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Andre

Maybe not the "best" scene, but remember that small A-Wing crashing into the bridge of the Star destroyer that got out of control and crashed into..... the death star? or the super star destroyer?

Shows once again that small crafts can be deadly.

Cheers

Thorsten

When they filmed the battle scene on Hoth they used Norwqegian mountain or rescue troops or some similar group. In the end they didn't get to see the movie because it was not allowed to be shown in their country for reasons that were not disclosed in the "Making of" special.