Fun: Best SciFi Scene (Ever)??

Riderfan, Greyghost,

Final Countdown! Thanks fellas. going to look for the DVD next week!!!

I think most of the best moments in cinematic history belongs to the SW OT and some from the PT.

The Nu BSG have some of the best space battle scenes ever but IMO, pooped by their realistic no sound in space battle, otherwise, it be more awesome!

The first Transformer movie was all good!

B

The Nu BSG have some of the best space battle scenes ever but IMO, pooped by their realistic no sound in space battle, otherwise, it be more awesome!

What do you mean by that? I recall the battle sequences having plenty of sound.

Speaking of BSG, however, the exodus from New Caprica is probably one of the best sequences in (television) science fiction, especially the Adama Maneuver. Awe-inspiring, despite the physics issues.

I'll also second the opening scene in Revenge of the Sith. The prequels may have been lackluster compared with the classic trilogy, but the battle of Coruscant was awesome.

Have I touched a nerve? Compare sounds of space battles on TOS and the TNS. TNS is all muffled.

A nerve? I don't understand. You suggested there wasn't sound in TNS when there's plenty of sound.

A nerve? I don't understand. You suggested there wasn't sound in TNS when there's plenty of sound.

Ah, my apologizes if words not intended as I read!

The TNS battle scene in space are muffled and not all out compared to other sci-fi as they are going for that 'realistic' no-sound-in-space approach. That is just something I do not quite like on the TNS because their space battle scenes are some of the best I seen anywhere else!

B

EDITED: I do agreed on the ROTS opening space battle! If I recall correctly, that is one of few scenes in the ROTS that was directed by Steven Spielburg.

Edited by Boxster

I actually like the subtlety of the space-centric sounds in TNS. It would be realistic to have no sound at all, of course, but I see it as a compromise, and I think it works well given the atmosphere they developed for the series.

I hadn't heard of Spielberg's contribution to RotS, although I recall he expressed his desire to direct a Star Wars film if Lucas would let him. That might be something worth seeing.

I actually like the subtlety of the space-centric sounds in TNS. It would be realistic to have no sound at all, of course, but I see it as a compromise, and I think it works well given the atmosphere they developed for the series.

I hadn't heard of Spielberg's contribution to RotS, although I recall he expressed his desire to direct a Star Wars film if Lucas would let him. That might be something worth seeing.

That's true! But I won't go into the no sound bit at all. :rolleyes: I wish there are more space battles than drama on TNS but whenever they have any, they are always some of the best sequences I ever seen!

I read that Steven did directed a few CGI battle scenes for Lucas for ROTS. I think I read it in SW Insider magazine..., can't remember.

The space battle in AOTC between Obiwan and Jango. The Slave 1 shooting at Obiwan's Delta-7 non-stop, those sounds and that charge's explosion where it being silent at first. Damn, I really like that.

B

I really liked the Geonosis ring scene. As you mentioned, the sound delay from the seismic charges, along with the sound itself, was really cool. The time delay between detonation and sound was neat because you rarely get that in movies, where no matter how far away the origin of the sound is located from the viewer, the sound report is instantaneous.

Maybe not the "best" scene, but remember that small A-Wing crashing into the bridge of the Star destroyer that got out of control and crashed into..... the death star? or the super star destroyer?

Shows once again that small crafts can be deadly.

Cheers

Thorsten

The Awing ramming into the bridge of the Super Star Destroyer and than crashing into the Death Star. Yes, ROTJ space battle scenes are truly some of the very best!

The lightsaber fights on Ep1, Yoda's fight with Dooku on Ep2 and obiwan/anakin duel in Ep 3. Best (lightsaber) sword fights I ever seen and yes, I grew up on HK movies!

Anyone remember the scene in the anime Ghost in the Shell movie where Motoko (lead female) trying to rip the hatch off the tank and in the process caused her own bionic/cyborg body to be ripped apart! I thought that was a powerful scene as well but there are many scenes in this anime which are later copied on the Matrix movies.

B

I really liked the Geonosis ring scene. As you mentioned, the sound delay from the seismic charges, along with the sound itself, was really cool. The time delay between detonation and sound was neat because you rarely get that in movies, where no matter how far away the origin of the sound is located from the viewer, the sound report is instantaneous.

I remember my jaw dropping on that space fight, the lightings, the sounds of the Slave 1 laser cannons, the incredible seismic charge, (thanks I forgotten the name! :rolleyes:) and the direction of the battle itself. But I think the best sound on Ep2 is that seismic explosion!

Another scene would be the factory where Anakin and Padme fell into.

And I wonder why a lot of fans do not like ATOC as I thoroughly love this movie!

B

The Awing ramming into the bridge of the Super Star Destroyer and than crashing into the Death Star. Yes, ROTJ space battle scenes are truly some of the very best!

The lightsaber fights on Ep1, Yoda's fight with Dooku on Ep2 and obiwan/anakin duel in Ep 3. Best (lightsaber) sword fights I ever seen and yes, I grew up on HK movies!

Anyone remember the scene in the anime Ghost in the Shell movie where Motoko (lead female) trying to rip the hatch off the tank and in the process caused her own bionic/cyborg body to be ripped apart! I thought that was a powerful scene as well but there are many scenes in this anime which are later copied on the Matrix movies.

B

Here ya go, B. ...

As for the SW Prequels, I have loved all three of them and feel they get a bad rap ...

You guys already mentioned a lot og great scenes from them ...

Gregg

I love the opening scene of ROTS--from the banging of the drums that forbode bad things coming to the camera panningover the star destroyer revealing the whole battle in orbit--so much going on--don't forget the kitchen sink crashing into a federation ship--slow it down-it is a kitchen sink.

The opening of the new Star Trek movie as the camera glides close to the ship and the long pullback to see what the ship looks like--I new then this version of trek was going to be different

Here ya go, B. ...

As for the SW Prequels, I have loved all three of them and feel they get a bad rap ...

You guys already mentioned a lot og great scenes from them ...

Gregg

Hey Gregg,

Thanks for the link! Its been a long time since I last saw the movie and its exactly as I remembered it. Whew, what a scene! Its pretty poignant and brutal. They should make another one and not the PtII Innocence which I slept my way thru it. LOL

I don't know what to expect from the upcoming live action SW tv series but I hope that someday and please, let it be soon that we will get movies of the Old Repubic.

B

B

I love the opening scene of ROTS--from the banging of the drums that forbode bad things coming to the camera panningover the star destroyer revealing the whole battle in orbit--so much going on--don't forget the kitchen sink crashing into a federation ship--slow it down-it is a kitchen sink.

The opening of the new Star Trek movie as the camera glides close to the ship and the long pullback to see what the ship looks like--I new then this version of trek was going to be different

So agreed on both movies! The new ST movie was awesome from start to end! But too bad I didn't catch ROTS in the cinema, was late 1 day. damn!!!

B

Great topic!

Some of my favorite scenes are:

1. Chojiku Yosai Macross: Ai Oboette Imasuka- This is the movie based off of Macross (Robotech in America). The openning scene where the Macross slowly reveals coming out of the shadow of Saturn. Also, fighter deployment scene from the ARM-D carriers was especially cool!

2. Empire Strikes Back: Nothing pumps me up more than the scene where the Millenium Falcon does a hard push over to escape 3 Star Destroyers, and starts rolling all over the place to avoid fire from Tie fighters.

3. Star Trek Original Series movies: Any scene involving the NCC-1701 refit. In my opinion, it was the most elegant of all the Enterprise versions, and was beautifuly lit. The aztec mosaic on the ship and the use of special paint gave a wonderful appearance of scale. Every scene of the her departing dry dock is just jaw dropping, and the use of music creates this wonderful sense of pride and wonderment! Even battle scarred, the best looking ship in any series. :tumble:

4. Return of the Jedi: The Rebel fleet jump into hyperspace. Now somone posted a sort of "Why is it this way" in another forum. I always wondered this... typically when you launch aircraft, you want to clear a path for them of other traffic. Yet, the Falcon and all these light fighters are zipping around dodging cargo ships, blockade runners, and other capital ships, to reach clear space for their jump. I guess the only answer is, it looks fricken cool! And that quick choppy descending horn progression as they're exiting the launch bays is crazy! And seeing that many ships jump at the same time was sick!

5. Battle of Endor: From beginning to end, especially the space battle, is totally unforgettable. Yes, we've scene giant space battles in other movies, but I personally have yet to see anything to match the speed and intensity of BoE! Plus, it was really cool being able to see what all these fighters were really capable of!

The scene in Jurassic Park when they showed a dinosaur for the first time in the entire movie franchise...the brachiosaurus, grazing off the treetops...that scene changed my life. I mean...WOW. It was like was really looking at a real dinosaur. And we all have to admit...that..scene, together with the original Star Wars was what changed the world of SFX forever.

Jason

The scene in Jurassic Park when they showed a dinosaur for the first time in the entire movie franchise...the brachiosaurus, grazing off the treetops...that scene changed my life. I mean...WOW. It was like was really looking at a real dinosaur. And we all have to admit...that..scene, together with the original Star Wars was what changed the world of SFX forever.

Jason

Damn, how can I forgot Jurrasic Park!!! Good post!

B

1) Legend of Galactic Heroes: The Fourth Battle of Tiamat. One word: Bolero

2) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: The final showdown. "From Hell's heart, I stab at thee... For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee..."

3) Babylon 5:

. There's no hiding place 'round here...

4) Babylon 5:

5) Macross:

/

6) Wings of Honneamise: The launch/Shiro's prayer

7) Star Trek: First Contact: Picard takes command. Why yes, he does.

8) The Matrix:

9) Metropolis: The machine.

10) Martian Successor Nadesico: the death of Daidouji Gai. Heartrending...

my three best.....

1: When the Predator removes his plasma caster and his helmet...and roars.....

2: Jurassic park....the first scene with Brachiosaurus grasing....epic

3: When Darth Maul ignites BOTH blades of his lightsaber......

Finn-Ove

I love the haunting intro in the first Alien movie where you see the Nostromo glide into that starsystem...it all breaths forboding doom!

Sends shivers up my spine every time I watch it!

That is actually an extremely convincing scene. One of the things that made Alien so good is the planet surface of LV426.

All those already mentioned would definitely make my list. Great stuff. I would also add:

Alien - chestburst scene. It was very horrifying in the day. I remember a grown man in the theater freaking out through the whole movie.

Start Trek - George Kirk in command of the Kelvin. First time a Star Trek film made me cry. LOL!

Blade Runner - "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain. Time to die."

The Matrix - when Neo emerges from the Matrix and finds himself a human battery.

The Thing (1982) - when they are doing CPR on the dead guy and all of a sudden the chest caves in with giant sharp teeth that bite off the guys hands. Totally unexpexted and freaky.

Dr Strangelove - maybe not sci fi but I love the scene when Slim Pickins rides the bomb all the way down.

Edited by falcon012

The Tomcat vs. Zero (ok, Tomcat vs. Texan) scene from The Final Countdown is definitely at/near the top of my list. There are three elements to the scene particularly that make it great:

1.) When the Tomcats get the ok to bounce the Zeros and their wings tuck in as they accelerate below the cameraship. Reminiscent of how my cat's ears would pull back when he was ticked off and about to go after something.

2.) The actual bounce part when they blow by the Zeros and send them scattering

3.) The part where, in shooting the scene, the Tomcat pilot stalled out and then recovered

Final Countdown is out on DVD, and it's best to get the 2-disc version. Second disc has the interviews with the VF-84 pilots who flew the scenes ("No Admiral, your $30 million airplane was fully under my control and did not depart controlled flight during that part, I swear!"), as well as director/producer interviews AND the CAF newsletter telling the "bounce" scene from the POV of the poor unfortunate CAF Colonels who THOUGHT the F-14s were just going to slowly pull up and alongside ...