Fun: Best SciFi Scene (Ever)??

Damn, how can I forgot Jurrasic Park!!! Good post!

B

While we're on a movie about dinosaurs....

King Kong (1933)-Kong's fight with the Tyrannosaur. IMHO, hands-down the most remarkable stop-motion animation sequence ever filmed. For those with the DVD-watch for the snake moving out of the way in the extreme left foreground, and dowels that show up in one film frame when Kong flips the T-rex over (they show up as straight lines very briefly).

Felinoid

While we're on a movie about dinosaurs....

While on the subject, have you seen 1925's "The Lost World"? Great Willis O'Brien stopmotion and in many ways a blueprint of his later work on King Kong.

And just to add a little bit of trivia - since the Danish word for king is "kong", the film is known in Denmark as "Kong King". :-)

Cheers,

Andre

OOooooh I almost forgot!

The scene where Ripley steps into a space suit in Alien!! Masterpiece!!

In all fairness I love almost every shot of Alien, but the scene in which the crew discover the Space Jockey deserves a seperate entry.

Cheers,

Andre

After Final countdown came out our squadron hosted the 84th while they practiced against each other. To make sure they were warmly greated one of our pilots went into his stored gun film and found a certain frame, had it blown into a 16x20 print that he put under the plexiglass on his desk. It was a beautiful full color shot ttaken from behind and slightly above that showed the top of a F-14 at night with the moon reflecting off top of the fuselage, its wings starting to pull back as it went into afterburner. Framing this was the hud instrumentation of a F-15 with the fire indicator glowing in the upper right corner.

According to my pilots they got into a discussion about the movie and were told that the aircraft in question almost didn't make the manuver because he started a little too low and almost flatened out into the ocean.

All great scenes, but he DID say "Opening" scene, guys...

Yeah, that Star Destroyer scene at the beginning of Star Wars (before Star Wars had another name to the title after it) was a paradigm shift in the world of Sci-Fi and a major turning point in my life.

In 1977 I sat in a theater with a HUGE screen about half-way down from the back, and I literally crouched down in my seat when that thing flew over. <_< I was absolutely blown away and saw the movie countless times before it found it's way to VCR tape and I added it to my collection.

I was 14 years old, already a nerd at heart, and that movie, along with the associated kits that MPC released really kick-started my interest in modeling. Before then, I dabbled with models and the usually ended up stuffed with Black Cat firecrackers and met a grisly end. After that, I built and finished models to display.

Now if only someone would come out with some figure models from LOTR, I'd be complete (not really, but it would be cool)

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. <_<

Stew

All these scenes mentioned are on my list as well. But I'll add a couple:

1. Opening credits to Superman the Movie, when you see the red S appear in its streaky form with the John Williams music playing, it sends a chill up your spine. Okay, so it isn't a scene per se and Superman is more a fantasy then SF, but the movie made him more real then anything else before. Second place I would say goes to the man of steel holding Lois in one arm and the Bell Jet Ranger in the other.

2. Twin night shuttle launch in Armageddon. This one always gets me jazzed as it combines perfectly some film footage shot with Panavision cameras at KSC of a night launch of Atlantis with some excellent model and digital photography to stick some SF X-71 shuttles into the mix. As long as the shots were, they were believable and held your attention like the afore mentioned SW Star Destroyer shots. These days, action shots are so quick it is hard to process anything.

3. Ironman, Tony Stark's first flight in the Ironman Mk2 silver suit. Seeing a man fly with his own creation is cool as it harkens back to Sci Fi of the 1930s when we imagined we would be flying personal rocket packs by this age. No guns, no explosions, just a guy in a suit burning up the sky like he was flying his personal airplane. Granted the Rocketeer did it first, but I don't think it quite captured the mystical joy that the Ironman scene did.

The scene is 2001 when for the third or fourth time HAL tells Dave Bowman he's not letting him back in the ship, and Dave says, "HAL, I am not going to argue with you. Open the pod bay doors." and at that moment Dave looks totally ridiculous and totally screwed . . . but then he figures out how to get in anyway.

That film has a lot of dry hilarity that people miss.

I also like a few scenes in the Undiscovered Country. When the Klingon battle cruiser gets hit and starts to drift. The ending battle between the klingon BOP is also a good one. Also when The moon explodes and as the shock wave approaches you see Sulu's cup of tea vibrate then fall down and everyone is like ***..

I guess I just like that movie..

All good

Curt

Well, we'll be able to watch the Star Wars Saga's best scenes on BluRay sorta soon ...

>>> Clicky <<<

Not a real surprise ...

Gregg

Hi, not a surprise, but good news to me, maybe the decision to get blue ray and HD screen stuff next year.

IMHO, one of the most stricking scene in SF movie is the Star wars openind scene withe the huge star destroyer. Now, it is a wellknown scene, but back in 77, it was something incredible. This is the scene that takes the guts of the audience and sceams "Your next two hours will be incredible"

The last "wow" and "how do they make that?" I have thougth in a theater these last years was for the lord of the rings, especially for the Moria scenes and the battle against the balrog, but it's fantasy and not SF so far...

Edited by Grizzly

Best sci-fi scene ever?

That's a tough one . . .

Some of my favorites:

The scene where Kirk is being born in the new Trek film. That is one POWERFUL scene, and gets the waterworks flowing every time.

The victory celebration at the end of Star Wars.

The scene where the city destroyers open fire in ID4 and take out the space hippies.

The "What the hell am I looking at?" scene in Spaceballs (I'm cracking up just thinking about it).

The scene in Moon where he discovers the secret (I'm not telling what it is, because that would give it away obviously :salute: )

The Matrix - when Neo emerges from the Matrix and finds himself a human battery.

Ooops, I forgot about that one too. That scene was a 'gamechanger' - I hadn't read ANYTHING about the movie before I saw it, and suddenly this scene was a huge *** moment.... Really fantastic movie.