Fun: Best SciFi Scene (Ever)??

What's the best SciFi Scene ever on film?

The opening scene in Star Wars where the Star Destroyer just seems to keep flying over your head, firing on Leia's ship totally changed my life (1977) and made me love scale models.

Opinions?:

For me it was the ending scene in Star Trek TNG's "Yesterday's Enterprise". When the Enterprise D is holding off the

Klingons while the Enterprise C escapes. When I first saw that, it was incredibly intense.

A few years ago (actually probably 10 or more) at the Cleveland Science Center there was an Imax movie on special effects in the movies. For this movie they recreated the opening of Episode 4 in true Imax (The wraparound kind not the oversized theater screen we have now). It was beyond incredible.

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread, but...reading all of this made me hunt down and watch the "Splash the Zeroes" scene from The Final Countdown, and I noticed something I never had before - when the first Zero is shot down, they used the actual cannon sound from the Tomcat. Seems like every movie I've seen uses an old fashioned "rat-a-tat-tat" machine gun sound (Top Gun is a major offender here) to represent the sound of a modern aircraft cannon, but this one...that glorious "BVVVVVVVVP!!!" of a high speed rotary cannon is intact in all its glory.

Watched a tape I recorded back in 96, 97 area of Deep space nice. Don't recall the episode name sadly. But.........

The Defiant and a Klingon ship leave the station, all defeated and blue, music builds up to a scene when they do a 180 and join the "Federation battle fleet" had to be a dozen Galaxy glass, a bunch of Excelsiors and a mess of Klingons headed to war.

Neat 10 seconds.

This thread will run and RUN!!

My personals are (order of preference):

1. The entire Alien movie -not really as scary as the hype would have us believe; while I should have been cowering under the seat, I was transfixed by the trademark Ridley Scott production values and scenery so dense you couldn't spit through it! (Guess the beasty could bleed through it, though...darn, that's never gonna come out, even with Vanish!)

2. Opening scene of SW Ep. IV -obviously not alone here.

3. The final scene of The Quiet Earth (Geoff Murphy, 1985) My link **Spoiler!** -but if you don't wanna sit thru the whole thing, have a look and tell me double-u tee eff YOU think happened!

Plus a special mention for the last bits of Blade Runner: the bloodied Rutger Hauer on the roof in his undies, clutching a live dove: wonderfully bizzarre!

Arrgh! Now I keep thinking of 'em: Rintaro's Metropolis, the scene where the Ziggurat collapses to the strains of 'Can't Stop Loving You'...

Forbidden Planet: the Krell underworld! ("Look down, Gentlemen -are you afraid?")

Please make it stop!!

Edited by ChippyWho

Watched a tape I recorded back in 96, 97 area of Deep space nice. Don't recall the episode name sadly. But.........

The Defiant and a Klingon ship leave the station, all defeated and blue, music builds up to a scene when they do a 180 and join the "Federation battle fleet" had to be a dozen Galaxy glass, a bunch of Excelsiors and a mess of Klingons headed to war.

Neat 10 seconds.

DS9's final couple of seasons had several amazing massive fleet battles with dozens of ships maneuvering (sometimes even in three dimensions!) and fighting simultaneously. Good stuff.

DS9's final couple of seasons had several amazing massive fleet battles with dozens of ships maneuvering (sometimes even in three dimensions!) and fighting simultaneously. Good stuff.

This is no surprise, given they started using the same effects house that was responsible for Babylon 5's space scenes.

I have a special feeling when I watch the Millenium Falcon do an upper loop around a cloud to turn back to the Cloud City to rescue Luke. The combination of sunset, the Falcon's maneuver and haunting soundtrack for that moment are for me a bit of film magic.

Another 'magic moment' is when the apeman in 2001 flings up the bone he has just used and millions of years pass in a jump-cut and it becomes a satellite. I don't like any particular element (in fact I dislike the model used) but the the combination of everything then to illustrate the metaphor is another bit of movie magic which I love.

Finally, the hangar is full of klaxons, the door opens and the Alien Queen sees Ripley revealed in her power-lifter exosuit. 'Get away from her you b!tch' Fight!

Pure movie magic!

Edited by PetarB

Andromeda was fun, but...it stretched suspension of disbelief. "OK, launch all the drone fighters! Tyr, you control the 47 to starboard, Bekah, you control the other 36..." And the last season...*** was that all about?

Not sure if it's been mentioned but since I just watched it again (on Blu-Ray!!) the scene near the end of Episode 3 the first time Darth Vader's helmet goes on.

I've never sat in a quieter theater than when that scene played opening night of that movie. Sends chills when he breathes.

That said though Lucas really could have done that better and made it even more menacing. But he took the emotional sappy route and I will always dislike the end of that movie.

Yet another vote for the opening of Star Wars (I refuse to recognize episodes I thru III by referring to it as Episode IV)

My other favourites are:

Dr. Floyd's voyage to the space station in 2001 (An der schönen blauen Donau is still one of my favourite pieces of music due to its association with the scene)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Q3X5Gw5I4&feature=related

and

The opening scene of Blade Runner as the camera flies over a dystopian Los Angeles of 2019 set to Vangelis' awesome score.

The first time machine was deffinately a classic and one that I really like but the remake had much better music and effects.

One thing that I thought strange about the first one though and have never understood was when he arrived in the future and was thrown off the machine, why the 3 second very local rain?

Some of my Fav's

1. Bruce Dern in Silent Running when one of the bots is damaged and they cannot fix him. Always made me sad.

2. The opening of SWANH with the Star Destroyer

3.The Scene in ANH where Luke has a TIE on his butt and can't shake him. He is chastising Biggs but wedge shows up. When Wedge vaporixes the TIE and flies through the explosion.

Kinda flies under it in the original but in the enhanced versions it straight through baybee! We wont wonder about debris being sucked into four intakes.....

4. ANH when Vader proves to be the worse shot EVER and the Falcon comes screaming in out of the Sun/Starlight

5. The original WoW when the War Machines first start to move. They fire then the Army opens up.

6. Alien... Chestburtster scene

7. Aliens. Ripley runs into a storage unit and the Queen is tearing floor panel out ot get to Newt. The point where the closet door opens We see Ripley in the Power Loader and she exclaims "Get away from her you B...!"

8. Alien3 I always liked the end when the Alien is climbing up the chain link fencing to get at Ripley.

9. Alien Rez.... NOTHING LOL!

10. LiS the movie. The launch of the Jupiter 1. Probably the best scene in the movie imho. Always wondered why when the J2 has atmoshperic take off capability we go and build a gazillion dollar launch vehicle? Goverment spending at its best LOL! Cool though

11. Predator. I use this scene often. When the Pred has Ahnuld cornered and Ahnuld starts with his "Kill Me, Do it, I'm right here Vot are you vating foah"

Others will come to me.

Max Bryant

Some of my Fav's

11. Predator. I use this scene often. When the Pred has Ahnuld cornered and Ahnuld starts with his "Kill Me, Do it, I'm right here Vot are you vating foah"

Others will come to me.

Max Bryant

I'd just like to add a really cute little moment in Predator, when the boys have left the rebel camp trashed and the 'PredCam' tracks through the carnage, until the beastie picks up the squidged scorpion...and its heat image turns black, as though the energy is being drained by contact with the hand... Kinda lets you know this guy is gonna be bad news, if you hadn't got it already!