Fun: Best SciFi Scene (Ever)??

My favorite scene is end of the Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man," where the code breaker is just stepping aboard the alien ship to the alien "paradise" world when his assistant runs over at the last second and yells,"I decoded the book! It's not a book to help man! It's a cookbook!"

Edited by Quarar44
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

What's the best SciFi Scene ever on film?

The opening scene in Star Wars where the Star Destroyer just seems to keep flying over your head, firing on Leia's ship totally changed my life (1977) and made me love scale models.

Opinions?:

"Echo Station Three-T-Eight. We've spotted Imperial walkers."

empire-insults-gal-431.jpg

Being a big fan of SW, I really love the scene in EII where Jango Fett is being chased by Obi-wan through an asteroid field - I still vividly remember how awsome the sound effects of the exploding charges and crushing of asteroids were.

That's one of my favourite scenes in the SW series. That, and the battle above Coruscant at the start of EIII.

Of course, the Lawyer on the Loo in Jurassic Park HAS to make the list. If you watch close, you'll notice that even the rex is smart enough not to swallow... did I catch the barest trace of an "ICK you taste like CRAP!" look on the big beast's face? Not to mention the whole "THAT is one big pile of ..." Though to really appreciate that whole scene with the Brachs, you really had to be there opening weekend, and in one of the then-new DTS-equipped theaters... for a minute you really COULD believe that dinosaurs lived again.

The best part of a film sequence for me is the one beginning at 0,19 an ending on 0,30 in this youtube clip:

The entire race is the best sequence ever and the movie is in my top ten.

Oh, what movie? It's Bjergkøping Grand Prix aka Pinchcliffe Grand Prix or the original Norwegian titel Flåklypa Grand Prix.

It is possible to get it here:

http://www.caprino.no/movies/en/flaaklypa.asp

It comes with Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Danish and English languages and Norwegian and English subtitles. PAL and NTSC versions are available.

I have grown up with this movie, it was the first movie I saw at the cinema. It was shown for the first time in 1975. It took 6 years for them to make.

There is an English clip from the movie in the link above.

It seems that George Lucas have found some of his inspiration, for the podrace in Phantom menace from the race in this film.

In the interview with the son of the producer, contained in the following link, there is a comparison of the 2. The interview begins at 03:33 and the comparison begins at 10:39.

http://www.caprino.no/movies/en/flaaklypa.asp

Next on my list is the Hoth battle sequence from The Empire Strikes Back, then the opening of Spaceballs with the “almost†never ending Spaceball One “We Brake For Nobodyâ€Â

Then the Starwars opening and the lightsaberfights from TPM

Then comes a lot of the others mentioned, but they are all so good that I cant really choose.

Of course, the Lawyer on the Loo in Jurassic Park HAS to make the list. If you watch close, you'll notice that even the rex is smart enough not to swallow... did I catch the barest trace of an "ICK you taste like CRAP!" look on the big beast's face? Not to mention the whole "THAT is one big pile of ..." Though to really appreciate that whole scene with the Brachs, you really had to be there opening weekend, and in one of the then-new DTS-equipped theaters... for a minute you really COULD believe that dinosaurs lived again.

At the time, some of us actually did: a low-intensity celeb/TV presenter was reporting on the movie's special effects, and admitted in all sincerity that she "couldn't tell the CG dinosaurs from the real ones..." :whistle:

The scene in Aliens (1986) where Ripley,Newt and the remaining Marines are tracking the progress of the aliens towards them on the motion detectors until they realise where the aliens are....

Stephen

I'll take that a few seconds further in. When Hicks takes his rifle and uses it to prop up a ceiling tile. Turns the light around and the Aliens are crawling in the rafters! That scene always kind of freaks me out a little.....

The end when the bay door opens and Ripley in a Powerloader takes two steps forward and utters the classic "Get away from her you B"

Old BSG. To this day I still love seeing a Viper Launch.

I hate to admit this but Galactica 1980. The premiere episode when Dr. Z-28 shows them what will happen if they continue on to Earth. The Cylons shooting up L.A..

Still love the Jupiter 2 launch in the original TV series and the Jupiter 1 launch in the movie was great SFX...

Alien. Chestburster and the ending when Ripley awakens the slumbering creature she did not know was aboard.

Planet of the Apes. Where you see a shadow on the beach and Taylor starts his rant, then the pan out to show it is the Satue of Liberty.

Trek III when the Bird decloaks hovering over the trawler.

Alien Rez. Swimming Aliens!!!

Battle L.A. I like the scene where the Sarge brings down a drone and gets on the bus. Someone makes the John Wayne crack and the tough as nails Sarge sits in a seat and we see him shaking. That to me was realistic.

The original Carpenter remake of the Thing. I saw this when I was a teen and when the dogs head split open and allthose tentacles came out. I knew this movie was gonna rock! I also to this day wonder how the heck did they do that???

Max Bryant

Edited by mightymax

Great thread!

I love the scene in The Empire Strikes Back where Luke is trudging in the snow back toward Echo Base & he turns to look over his shoulder at the Falcon making its escape. It just looks so 'normal' - like a spaceship taking off is nothing special at all. Love it.

Greg

There are many many classic scenes in the history of science fiction film. Here are a few of my favorites that have not been mentioned:

The Martian war machine's first emergence from the pit and subsequent engagement by the US Army in the 1953 version of TWOTW. Unforgettable.

Some sequences from 2001. (1) The scene where the ape-man first realizes you can use a bone as a weapon. (2) When, after using the bone to take back the watering hole, the ape-man throws it up in the air and we fast forward a couple million years and it becomes a space based weapons platform, and (3) The classical music Pan Am Clipper space station rendezvous and subsequent moon base landing sequence.

The Ray Harryhausen produced stop motion Allosaurus round up scene from the 1969 cowboys vs dinosaurs film "The Valley of Gwanji." This sequence took months of painstaking work to film. Knowing what went into it, you really can't watch it without going "WOW."

Edited by DutyCat