Hi everybody, :rofl:

I have started on my F-104A today by washing the parts on the sprue. It looks like a nice kit, I have built the G version before, it was the kit that got me interested in aircraft modelling, so I am predicting a fairly trouble-free assembly, knowing a bit of filler will be needed around the intakes and under fuselage seam. I plan to use the kit roundels, but am unsure if the fin flag is too big, I am also printing out new serial number decals as the ones provided are too big.

Having looked at many photos, I still am not sure on the color of the upper wing surface, is it white, or the aluminium color like the lower wing? :thumbsup: Period photographs tend to show white (wings look completely different to fuselage), but photos of a museum example show aluminium. Does anybody know which is correct for in-service aircraft?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a204/Hyaman/Cat/56804.jpg

http://www.pakdef.info/pakmilitary/airforc...04_sargodha.jpg

Thanks for looking

Edited by MiG Mongoose

Finally a F-104A in the GB ! that's cool !

Hi MiG M,

All old Pakistani operational 104A photos show the wings were white (grey underside).

The Italeri(Esci) 104G was too my first starfighter kit of a long series...

From OOB don't miss 2 details, if you can change it :

- on Pakistani 104A the gun was installed (quite easy to make a hole)

- the Italeri wheels are wrong. For 104A, 104C, 104D you'll find correct wheels in the Revell F-104C kit.

Hope we'll see soon your work :pray:

Hello again, some progress,

Thanks faab104 for that information about the wings, I've drilled a hole for the gun, but I will keep the kit wheels as I can't replace them.

P1010127.jpg

CopyofP1010130.jpg

I've added a throttle lever on the left, but it is hard to see as I haven't painted it yet

CopyofP1010125.jpg

The kit seat with belts and the firing handle added. Used Tamiya Weathering master to darken the few details on the seat, I'm happy with the result

That's all for now...

Edited by MiG Mongoose

Hi again, no new progress unfortunately.

I have a question. What colour are the landing gear bays for an F-104A? The instructions say green zinc chromate, but I can't be sure.

Thanks

Edited by MiG Mongoose

I have glued the fuselage halves together, added the wings, horzontal stabilizer and the intakes. As predicted, there is a seam along the underside and gaps between the intakes and the fuselage. Nothing that can't be fixed with filller!

P1010139.jpg

I also made a new gunsight and instrument panel shroud as the kit part was terrible.

P1010141.jpg

At the moment, I have got most of the filling complete and the main landing gear bay doors fitted. Priming is not too far away...

comments and feedback welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while, but I have made significant progress with the painting:

P1010138_2.jpg

Primer and white for the radome and upper wings

P1010139_2.jpg

Base silver coat added, Tamiya X-11

P1010142_3-1.jpg

The multi-shade rear fuselage is completed

P1010144_2.jpg

A close up shot. The shades look a bit different in the sunlight, the clear coat should make it look better.

Once I have painted the anti-glare panel, I will add the gloss coat...

Thanks for looking.

Here's where I'm at now, with the earthquake in the South Island, I have had a bit more time to continue with this project. The gloss, decals and gloss have been added.

P1010147.jpg

The Italeri decal are superb, conforming well on the plane and settling into panel lines. Unfortunately, they are extremely inaccurate, the fin flags are too big, as are the black numbers. I used spare fin flags from the Bilek F-6 kit I made for the MiG GB, which are more appropriately sized. Although, they are a slightly different color to the Italeri roundels, I will tolerate this. The number decals were custom made by myself, which came out alright but I am still struggling with a new inkjet printer, so improvement can still be made.

P1010146.jpg

The decals have been sealed with another layer of Humbrol Glosscote, I'm liking how it looks so far.

Thanks for looking.

I am pleased to announce that it is now finished! :jaw-dropping:

P1010008.jpg

I tried to give it a panel line wash, but as the panel lines were so fine, the wash did not stay, unsurprising consideing in some places there are 7 layers of paint!, I added Tamiya Weathering Master to the areas around the landing gear and on the gun.

P1010001.jpg

P1010003.jpg

This was my first multi-shade NMF that I have painted, I am happy with the result.

P1010007.jpg

P1010009.jpg

I weathered the missiles to add make them more interesting, I sourced them from the ESCI F-5A kit.

While the Italeri kit is probably not as good as Hasegawa's, it still builds up into a very nice representation.

I have had a great time with this project and have enjoyed taking part in the group build. Thanks to everybody who has taken the time to look and comment, it is greatly appreciated. :lol:

Hi faab

I had used masking tape for the anti-glare panel, but it was of poor quality. I also brush painted it, so the demarcation was not completely straight. For future projects I will airbrush this, as I think it will look better.

Thanks for your help with the coloring of the wings, the model is much more accurate because of it. Thank you for your kind words also. :)

Edited by MiG Mongoose