ANy suggestions for good eating establishments in Phoenix?

So far on my list of places to go eat are in no particualr order:

In & Out Burger

Jack In The Box

Chompies in Tempe (I want to do the Slider Challenge like on Man Vs Food)

Any other places I must go to while I'm there?

So far on my list of places to go eat are in no particualr order:

In & Out Burger

Jack In The Box

Chompies in Tempe (I want to do the Slider Challenge like on Man Vs Food)

Any other places I must go to while I'm there?

In & Out and Jack in the Box are fast food joints...why would you waster your time at either one of those...YOu can find those EVERYWHERE! :cop:

In & Out and Jack in the Box are fast food joints...why would you waster your time at either one of those...YOu can find those EVERYWHERE! :thumbsup:

Yeah, everywhere except OHIO!!!

Chompies is a great place, my wife and I have breakfast there every Saturday, and other meals on occasion.

Claim Jumper is pretty good but also a bit away from downtown (though not as far as the Horny Toad or the Satisfied Frog which are far to the north).

In downtown, there are some decent places as well, including:

-- Majerle's (pronounced "Marley's"), a sports bar owned and run by "Thunder Dan" Majerle, former Suns player and current Asst. Coach

-- Pizzeria Bianco - has made national lists of top pizza places. You can show up and wait for a table (good luck) or try to get a reservation (minimum 7 people).

If you have a car, I can also recommend:

-- Wally's (a bar and grill) at Camelback and 44th St.

-- Arcadia Tavern at 48th and Indian School

-- Culinary Dropout in Scottsdale (try the Provolone Fondue with soft pretzels!)

-- My Big Fat Greek Restaurant (multiple locations) -- try the Saganaki appetizer, it's cheese, soaked in alcohol and set on fire - how can you go wrong?

In & Out and Jack in the Box are fast food joints...why would you waster your time at either one of those...YOu can find those EVERYWHERE! :D

Partial disagree on In-N-Out. Fast food, yes, but that's where the similarities end.

If they're still doing business the same way they did when I lived in S. California

then I would highly recommend In-N-Out for at least one meal while in the area.

Definitely several cuts above the rest.

Yeah, everywhere except OHIO!!!

I'll preface this by saying that this is only an opinion, but I ate at an In-and-Out Burger in Barstow, CA and was very disappointed. I got the double-double (double meat double cheese), fries, and a shake. The much-touted double-double was about the size of a double quarter-pounder at McD's. The shake was good, but not anything different from what I can get anywhere. The fries were so-so (McDonalds honestly makes better fast-food fries).

It has a cult-like following in the Southwest, but IMHO, I found the burgers unspectacular and honestly a bit tasteless.

Having said that, I understand that if you go and order off the menu at the store, then you are cutting yourself short. Where the chain probably finds it's cult following is in the "SECRET MENU". These are burgers that aren't on the regular store menu and you have to know about ahead of time - before ordering. Even if you ask about the "SECRET MENU" at the store, they won't tell you. So, I did a bit of picking around (after my visit unfortunately) and this is what I found on the "Official" In-and-Out site:

http://www.in-n-out.com/secretmenu.asp

It would appear that a 4x4 would satiate the appetite of a Somalian Polar Bear

However, there's also this:

http://www.badmouth.net/in-n-outs-secret-menu/

and

http://daviswiki.org/In-N-Out_Secret_Menu

So, if you are willing to give it a shot, go for it. We don't have 'em in Texas, but I prefer Fuddrucker's anyhoo!

Cheers and happy knoshing!

Stew