Inspirational and Refference Topic

Nice build and nice CVW-8 collection, if you want to add an A-6E, Carpena does do some decals for a 1:48 VA-36 jet.

I did build that one. I'll add the photo!!

jpg3-17.jpg

This one does not count to the GB, I built it a couple years ago.

jpg8-5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I didnt think about posting this build till earlier this evening.

Academy 1/35 MH-60 Pavehawk. I built this as part of the Helicopter GB a couple years ago, and early on in the build I decided to mimic some kind of Desert Storm build. Its not any specific bird, just painted it in the desert scheme used in DS and used the horrible kit decals.

Complete OOB build except for the tons of styrene sheet I had to add to fill all the gaps in the interior.

Tamiya & Humbrol paints and Pro Modeller Black wash.

MH60G-131.jpg

MH60G-132.jpg

MH60G-134.jpg

MH60G-139.jpg

MH60G-135.jpg

MH60G-134.jpg

• 1 month later...

Twenty years ago today, we'd been in Qatar for four months and were ready. Our 16's were armed (four AIM-9's, ALQ on the centerline and Mk. 84's or 82's on #3 and #7 stations) and we were now on 12 hr. shifts, carrying our old steel helmets, gas masks and chem gear 24-hours a day. Ten days from the UN deadline... What would the future hold?

Mike

Twenty years ago today, we'd been in Qatar for four months and were ready. Our 16's were armed (four AIM-9's, ALQ on the centerline and Mk. 84's or 82's on #3 and #7 stations) and we were now on 12 hr. shifts, carrying our old steel helmets, gas masks and chem gear 24-hours a day. Ten days from the UN deadline... What would the future hold?

Mike

Oh man,

the calm before the Storm ...

Oh man,

the calm before the Storm ...

You know, it really was. Our jets were ready and we were as close as we were going to be. It was a matter of sitting around and waiting. There was some concern that on the 14th or 15th that the Iraqis would announce a pullout, just to drag things out, but the President made a statement that the 15th was the deadline and it was 'all in, or all out'. By twenty years ago today, the war almost definitely WAS going to happen.

And as I said, we just had to wait for it. Our jets were still flying, with many making supersonic runs at the Kuwaiti and Iraqi border before turning away before crossing. This was done both for Intel gathering purposes (see what radars & defenses come up, communications freq's, etc.) but also to keep the Iraqis on their toes, to worry them a little, and probably to tire them out a little.

The 15th and the deadline was getting closer, but what would that mean when it happened? Would the war start that day? Most people thought that there might be a delay of several days, perhaps a week, just to build up the pressure and tension on the Iraqi defenders. On the other hand, the 15th & 16th of January were going to be the dark nights of the New Moon...

In the meantime, we were back at the hangar in Doha, finishing up some aircraft decontamination planning (remember it was fully expected that we would face chemical weapons) listening to my little shortwave for news, eating MRE's, and talking about what might come next. We knew that the coalition's combined Air Forces would be flying into some pretty intensive defenses, we all knew that there would be losses - probably substantial losses - and we were all hoping for the best.

Mike

CONFRONTATION IN THE GULF: OVERVIEW; U.S. AND IRAQ PREPARE FOR WAR AS TONIGHT'S DEADLINE NEARS; DIPLOMACY REMAINS FRUITLESS

By R. W. APPLE Jr., Special to The New York Times

Published: January 15, 1991

WASHINGTON, Jan. 14: The United States girded for war, perhaps as early as this week, as hopes for a peaceful settlement of the Persian Gulf crisis faded rapidly today.

The mood in the capital darkened noticeably as the hours ticked by, the gathering gloom deepened first by the news that several last-ditch peace initiatives had failed and then by word that Mohammed al-Mashat, the Iraqi Ambassador to Washington, had been recalled by his Government.

"Only a miracle," a senior Administration official said, could prevent war. Sixth U.S. Carrier Ready

The aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt steamed through the Suez Canal this afternoon, ready to assume her battle station in the Red Sea. The Roosevelt's arrival means that six American carriers, with 450 warplanes on board, will be operating in waters near Iraq when zero hour arrives.

Baghdad will be living on "borrowed time," the White House said, once the United Nations deadline for Iraqi withdrawal from Kuwait -- midnight Tuesday, Eastern standard time, or 8 A.M. Wednesday in Iraq and Kuwait -- has been reached. All visible signs pointed to an early attack by the United States and its allies if President Saddam Hussein did not pull his troops back in time.

More at the link in the headline...

Here's a little bit of video inspiration, courtesy of my squadron's assigned Combat Camera guys. All of the inflight footage was taken from the back seat of F-16D 86-0047, the only two-seat F-16 to fly combat missions during the war.

Sit down, turn your speakers up, press play and hang on.

Mike

I'm writing this message just at 11:30PM EST. Twenty years ago less than eight hours from now, seven B-52G's would launch in secrecy from Barksdale AFB, Louisiana, on a thirty-five hour round trip mission that would change Desert Shield to Desert Storm. It is the combat mission that still holds the record for endurance and distance.

Mike

Living in a place where you can't build is frustrating, and missing this opportunity to build or complete a DS project is even more so. But I can do is submit some images of completed models that can at least show some efforts in the past. Being a DS veteran in the Navy. This is a project started as soon as I returned from that operation. So here a few items I will post when time permits.

Chuck

Fly Navy

P1010025.JPG

1/72 Jaguars GR.1, Hasegawa and Italeri, RAF

a7e1034.JPG

1/48th A-7E Corsair II, VA-72,Hasegawa, USN

a7e1027.JPG

1/48th A-7E Corsair II, VA-72, USN

f1cag.JPG

1/72 Mirage F-1, Iraqi AF and Kuwaiti AF, Hasegawa

Living in a place where you can't build is frustrating, and missing this opportunity to build or complete a DS project is even more so. But I can do is submit some images of completed models that can at least show some efforts in the past. Being a DS veteran in the Navy. This is a project started as soon as I returned from that operation. So here a few items I will post when time permits.

Chuck

Fly Navy

P1010025.JPG

1/72 Jaguars GR.1, Hasegawa and Italeri, RAF

a7e1034.JPG

1/48th A-7E Corsair II, VA-72,Hasegawa, USN

a7e1027.JPG

1/48th A-7E Corsair II, VA-72, USN

f1cag.JPG

1/72 Mirage F-1, Iraqi AF and Kuwaiti AF, Hasegawa

what's left to build for this project? This year I'm doing a OV-10D, Saudi Gr1 Tornado, F/A-18D, Mirage F1CR, B-52G

here's my builds all together (except the f-5e) http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/6883/img0231vx.jpg

More DS images,

Fly Navy

P1010114.JPG

1/72, F-14A Tomcats, VF-84/VF-41, Fujimi, USN

P1010115.JPG

VF-41 "Black Aces", VF-84 "Jolly Rogers"

F18HAS01.JPG

1/48th,F/A-18C Hornet, VFA-81, Hasegawa,USN

A4KU7204.JPG

1/72,A-4KU, Skyhawk, Kuwaiti AF,Fujimi

RSAFF302.JPG

1/72,Tornado F.3,Royal Saudi AF,Hasegawa

Whenever I need some inspiration, all it takes is a look at a photo like this... always brings a smile to my face.

mig29.jpg

Camera Operator: SSGT. JOSE OTERO

Date Shot: 2 Mar 1991

ID: DA-ST-92-08090

"The only good MiG is a DEAD Mig!!!"

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, now that I know how to post my pics I will be putting a few of these out here! These planes were done

over the last 10 years so, I don't know if that cuts me out but I wanted to post my work and to say I was there

dring Desert Shield/ Desert Storm!! Part of the Left Hook during the Ground War!! It's been 20 years since this

War changed my life, not for the good. I still have my Nightmares & Flashbacks but I deal with it the best I can!

So, here goes!! The 1st set is from CVW-14 the Blacktailed CAG A/C from the USS Independence which was there

only for Desert Shield.

#1 VF-21 Freelancers Revell F-14A Tomcat 1/48th Scale, Actually had this A/C flew

over our area of operations while we were building up our forces!

IMG_0808.jpg

#2 VA-196 A-6 Intruder 1/48th Scale

IMG_0822.jpg

#3 VAQ-139 Prowler 1/48th Scale

IMG_0823.jpg

#4 VS-37 Viking 1/48th Scale

IMG_0824.jpg

#5 VF-154 Black Knights

IMG_0821.jpg

#6 VFA-25 Hornet

IMG_0831-1.jpg

Some Air Force#7 F-15E 1/48th Scale