F-4E Phantom in 1:32

Hi there.

I only just wrapped up my CF-18 build less than 72 hours ago, and I'm already itching to work on the next big thing.

I hummed and hawed about what kit to do next. I have a 1:48 CT-114 Tutor that's been sitting partially completed for 3 months now. An Arrow with resin parts looking at me from the shelf. And a 1:48 F-106. But there's rumor of a Cold War GB so I think I'll save that one.

A little while ago I snagged a Revell 1:32 Phantom at a yard sale for $20. So I thought I'd tackle that. I've only ever done two F4 Phantoms in my life so this is a nice diversion. The other two were both 1:48. One in German Luftwaffe markings, and one in Japanese SDF markings.

This one is going to be very different for me. I'm going to tackle the scheme of a 1976 IIAF Phantom. Why? Because I have this fascination with all things UFO's. And in 1976 an IIAF Phantom was involved in one of the most famous (phamous) UFO encounters on record. If you're interested, you can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Tehran_UFO_incident

Because the CF-18 is of personal interest to me (I served in the Canadian Armed Forces for 10 years) I spent a lot of additional time and added all the aftermarket goodies I could find. This build will most likely be almost pure out of box build. The exceptions being noted when I get to them. However I'll kick it off by saying I've already purchased QuickBoost aftermarket resin seats. The kit seats are horrible.

Now, two seconds after I say I'm building OOB, I'm going to talk about the work I did on the cockpit. As is well documented, the Revell F-4E cockpit is fairly sparse. And the IP's don't really reflect any of the documentation I have (which is the book "Detail and Scale F4 Phantom" and a number of internet sources.). The sidewalls are bare and the seats are minimal at best.

The cockpit started by cutting the single part tub into two parts. This allowed me to extend the floor of the rear tub so the pilot would have a place to put his legs. I also detailed the back walls of both sections with styrene H beams and various gauges of wire. This is probably not accurate to the real thing but it's close to how I've seen other details their F4 cockpits and when it's all painted and inside the fuselage, it will look pretty good.

The first steps of the cockpit.

Imgp0251.jpg

Imgp0252.jpg

Forward IP with styrene corrections

Imgp0253.jpg

Cockpit painted and washed (some of the wash needs to be removed, it's too heavy)

Imgp0302.jpg

The forward and rear IP's with gauges in place. Still work to do on these yet

Imgp0303.jpg

Sidewalls of the cockpit underway. As the kit has none this is an important correction to make. My reference photos of the rear sidewalls are limited so I'm likely to create a mish-mash of Phantom variants into one. It will be more of a representation than a recreation.

Imgp0304.jpg

Considering I purchased this kit at yard sale I was surprised to find that only the main fuselage halves had been glued together. I cleaned this up and it's good to go. Considering how I got the kit, it's surprisingly in good shape.

Imgp0305.jpg

So anyway, that's my start on this big jet. As always when working on my builds, if anyone has photos of the subject matter I'm working on, please feel free to share them. Documentation for IIAF Phantoms from over 30 years ago is hard to find in Canada.

Thanks for reading

David

Edited by RiderFan

A great start. One thing I should mention. Did you raise the floor of the kit cockpits. They are way to deep. In fact the rear seat barely clears the cockpit side walls. Check it out.

Chuck

A great start. One thing I should mention. Did you raise the floor of the kit cockpits. They are way to deep. In fact the rear seat barely clears the cockpit side walls. Check it out.

Chuck

No, I didn't raise the floor. But looking at where the side consoles meet the side of the seat, they appear to be correct.

This is the kit seat in the tub and it looks correct to references.

IMGP0306.jpg

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if this was incorrect. This cockpit is really weak.

somebody plz tell me where can I buy the platic card (for detailing)??? i'm in USA

Pretty much any hobby shop sells this stuff. It's under the brand name 'Evergreen'. It comes in various sizes of rods, tubes, squares, I beams, L beams, etc...

If you're just looking for plain sheets most plastic supply companies sell it in 5 foot square sheets for about $12.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, yes and no.

I've been concentrating on my CF-105 and a 1:32 CF-104 so the Phantom has taken a bit of a backseat. Too many models..too little time..

That said, I've ordered and received a cockpit kit that is supposed to fit the Tamyia kit. It looks like this detail set requires parts from the kit which the Revell kit doesn't supply, so I may not be able to use it all, but certainly the seats are better. And the sidewalls are much better than what I came up with. So I may try and use what I can.

My biggest beef with the kit cockpit is that the forward IP seems to be too high, but the cowling on top seems to be the right height and size. So I'm not sure what to fix there.

I've also purchased some IIAF decals in 1:48. I just need to scan them 150%, clean them up a bit, and print them off again.

thanks

David

Well, yes and no.

I've been concentrating on my CF-105 and a 1:32 CF-104 so the Phantom has taken a bit of a backseat. Too many models..too little time..

That said, I've ordered and received a cockpit kit that is supposed to fit the Tamyia kit. It looks like this detail set requires parts from the kit which the Revell kit doesn't supply, so I may not be able to use it all, but certainly the seats are better. And the sidewalls are much better than what I came up with. So I may try and use what I can.

My biggest beef with the kit cockpit is that the forward IP seems to be too high, but the cowling on top seems to be the right height and size. So I'm not sure what to fix there.

I've also purchased some IIAF decals in 1:48. I just need to scan them 150%, clean them up a bit, and print them off again.

thanks

David

the real problem with the cockpits is that the rear cockpit is too low. you have to raise it about 1/8th inch or the WSO can't see out the canopy. you can see this if you test fit and look at pictures of where the top of the ejection seat normally is. basically just cut about 1/8 inch off the top of the back wall of the tub following the contour of the wall. Also, the leading edge of the intakes are a scale 10 inches too far forward. the distance from the leading edge of the wing(at the fuselage join) to the front of the intake lip should be 52 inches it measures out on the kit to be 62 inches.

Bruce

the real problem with the cockpits is that the rear cockpit is too low. you have to raise it about 1/8th inch or the WSO can't see out the canopy. you can see this if you test fit and look at pictures of where the top of the ejection seat normally is. basically just cut about 1/8 inch off the top of the back wall of the tub following the contour of the wall. Also, the leading edge of the intakes are a scale 10 inches too far forward. the distance from the leading edge of the wing(at the fuselage join) to the front of the intake lip should be 52 inches it measures out on the kit to be 62 inches.

Bruce

A little further up I comment on the rear tub height. It looks about right to me. I'm not an F4 expert by any stretch, but it ~seams~ about right. I've not done a really in-depth comparison to the resin replacement but a very quick look seems to be that they're pretty close.

Interesting information on the wing root length. I'm not going to bother to change it, but it's interesting.

I've read that the only way to get a really accurate 1:32 F4 is to mash a Revell kit and Tamyia kit together, building from parts of both.

• 8 months later...

Hi there.

Well... resurrecting this thread (and build) from the dead. This build is one of those ones I putter around on while waiting for kits to arrive in the mail. And since moving out east, I seem to be doing that a lot now. Anyway, I started this build in Vancouver ages ago, and just pulled the box off the shelf again. Here's where I am now.

I'll start with the exhaust cans. The kit cans are pretty weak so I took one and scratch built up the interior. Then made a rubber mold and cast two new ones. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Dsc_0084.jpg

The main assembly of the wings and fuselage went together pretty well. Some filling, rescribing, and re-adding rivet details. But no more than I'd expect. I cut the flaps out of the wings and lowered them.

Dsc_0076.jpg

I'm in the process of scratch building the TISO on the port wing. The filler hasn't been sanded here yet, but it will have some 0.05mm plastic reinforcement plating as well.

Dsc_0079.jpg

And the cockpit. Actually, I'm pretty happy with it. No. It's not 100% accurate. Those of your that are phantom phreaks will notice a number of errors. I don't care :) I'm not a big enough fan(phan?) of the aircraft to get to worked up into a knot about the inaccuracies in the kit too much. Although I have added some obviously missing things. The rear cockpit IP has had its details added (the white rods and wires). And when installed it looks pretty good. I have some aftermarket resin seats that will go in. The rear tub is a bit low, so I might fake it by giving the rear seat a bit of a booster (stuff some plastic under the seat). This will raise it up the correct height even though it will be sitting high in the tub. Unless you've actually flown in one, I don't think you'll notice too much...and I don't know anyone that has flown in one.

Dsc_0082.jpg

Dsc_0081.jpg

Dsc_0083.jpg

Anyway, that's about it for now. I have a 1:32 F-14A in the mail somewhere so when that arrives this one will go back on the shelf for a few months. In the mean time, I keep puttering away at it.

thanks for looking

David

Edited by RiderFan
  • 5 years later...