Iran wants their Tomcat ...

Nothing more than political saber-rattling...

Present a false argument so that the second argument sounds better.

Second argument is "Well, just pay us what you owe" -- which is a false argument as well since they took action against our embassy and are not wanting for money

Third is if we DO give in (HAH! Fat chance!) they get to rub our face in the dirt in front of the collective world, get brown-nose points for the muslim extremist community, set precedent to start asking for money on every little thing they don't deserve, all the while trying to play on the unstable economics gripping the Western world.

It's a bullying move, designed to terrorize the West on a lesser scale than their normal nuclear threats. Another feeble attempt to destabilize non-muslim Western cultures.

On second thought they should go after the Shah's assets.......He made the deal!. No, that wouldn't work......they already sold his gold toilet seat....his aircraft.....I know maybe he's got some gold teeth left.

Do Iranian carry the same armament as the US ones did? i.e. sidewinder/sparrow/phoenix missiles

The F-14's delivered to Iran also included 250 or so AIM-54 Phoenix missiles. However, since those were the AIM-54A models AND they've had absolutely no tech support for those missiles since 1979, I seriously doubt they are still functional. There was a report out there (credible or not, who knows?) that stated that as of 1987 Iran only had 50 AMI-54's left of the 250 delivered. So if they have any left now, I would be shocked.

Rick

I think there are some embassy workers who would like 444 days of their lives back.

You know that saying about keeping your mouth shut so people think you are an idiot vs opening your mouth to prove you are an idiot? Well I don't think the Iranian's do. :salute:

Sort of off-topic

a few years back somebody posted a link to Iran using photos of some guys airfield dioramas to claim they had an exceptionally large and powerful airforce. Does anybody have a link to the original photos? That guy's models were amazing

Yeah, we can give them 80 Hasegawa kits...Good luck on flying those. :unsure:

easy there fella', that jokes already been done twice in this thread :monkeydance:

Edited by RKic

Dearest Iran,

Hey, no problem guys; we'll get right on that. While you're waiting, how about you send all of the Tomcats you do have back home for some "factory maintenance", no charge. They could definitely use it after all this time. We'll return them to you with the new one when it is ready.

Sincerely,

the US of A

That someone in Iran would even say that they wanted their Tomcats back is amazing and shows the truly distorted sense of reality that they must be living in. Are you sure you didn't find this on the Onion?

That someone in Iran would even say that they wanted their Tomcats back is amazing and shows the truly distorted sense of reality that they must be living in. Are you sure you didn't find this on the Onion?

I got the link off of Alert 5 ...

They only post news articles on there ...

Gregg

On second thought they should go after the Shah's assets.......He made the deal!. No, that wouldn't work......they already sold his gold toilet seat....his aircraft.....I know maybe he's got some gold teeth left.

He's been dead for the thick end of thirty years.

Do Iranian carry the same armament as the US ones did? i.e. sidewinder/sparrow/phoenix missiles

When Iran realised that the AIM-54 was becoming too tricky to support, they adapted the MIM-23B Hawk to fit the F-14. Which it does, just about, on the wing pylons. So although they lost out on the amazing* guidance, they retained most of the range and the striking power. And, bless 'em, as it's the next development of an established system, they've called it the AIM-23C.

* allegedly**.

** or not.

Or it was just a piece meant for internal consumption to show the government was standing up to the 'evil West'. I sincerely doubt any member of the Iranian government has any expectation they will ever get their Tomcat.

According to some sources, the Iranians actually had some pretty good success with the AIM-54, including downing a couple of Iraqi Tu-22s with them.

I've seen those reports and I find them to be a bit difficult to believe, to say the least. My reasoning for this is that most of the actual "combat" launches by the USN of the AIM-54 resulted in misses, this despite the airframes/radar being kept in great shape, oodles of tech support (including all the latest software upgrades) and the best training bar none in the world. Yet I am expected to believe that a third class air force, flying airframes that lacked the proper spare parts and proper upkeep, firing missiles that were out-dated and also lacking any tech support for at minimum 5 years (and even longer in some cases), guiding them with radars that again were without proper spare parts and upkeep was able to achieve "pretty good success"? I think this was mostly propaganda. It is more likely that the Iraqi clown pilots saw those big muthas comin' and dove straight into the ground. That makes much more sense than believing that the Iranians achieved what the USN could not.

Edited by madmanrick

Madmanrick - you should search airliners.net or warfighters.com under F-14 and Iran - you will see that they still have Tomcats flying. Looks to have the original engines aswell (not russian copies?)

Should never underestimate a nations ability to reverse engineer, you'd be surpriced what a nation in need is capable of :thumbsup:

Israel did it with the Kfir from Mirage V - and there is countless other examples. Besides - Irangate isn't that long ago :cheers: