Iran wants their Tomcat ...

Madmanrick - you should search airliners.net or warfighters.com under F-14 and Iran - you will see that they still have Tomcats flying. Looks to have the original engines aswell (not russian copies?)

Should never underestimate a nations ability to reverse engineer, you'd be surpriced what a nation in need is capable of :thumbsup:

Israel did it with the Kfir from Mirage V - and there is countless other examples. Besides - Irangate isn't that long ago :o

I never stated that Iran did not still have Tomcats flying. What I said was that I do not think they have any working AIM-54 missiles left, considering that they supposedly only had 50 missiles left in 1987. Besides, Irangate happened over 20 years ago, an eternity in weaponry terms.

Edited by madmanrick
There was only 1 that they didn't get I thought.

Do they want to return them to us or they want us to give them the missing jet?.... good luck with that...

Send them 48 Fujimi 48th scale Tomcats?

Madmanrick - you should search airliners.net or warfighters.com under F-14 and Iran - you will see that they still have Tomcats flying. Looks to have the original engines aswell (not russian copies?)

Should never underestimate a nations ability to reverse engineer, you'd be surpriced what a nation in need is capable of ;)

Israel did it with the Kfir from Mirage V - and there is countless other examples. Besides - Irangate isn't that long ago ;)

I once brought up the point of the Tomcats on those sights and was reminded, just cause its flying doesn't mean its operational.

According to some sources, the Iranians actually had some pretty good success with the AIM-54, including downing a couple of Iraqi Tu-22s with them.
Glad somebody had good luck with those boat anchors. Sure wasn't us. 3 of the 4 that VF-24 and 211 launched when I was in VF-24 dropped like rocks.
Sort of off-topic

a few years back somebody posted a link to Iran using photos of some guys airfield dioramas to claim they had an exceptionally large and powerful airforce. Does anybody have a link to the original photos? That guy's models were amazing

That would be the very talented Fred Shammas.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....&hl=shammas

Superb realism!

Jeff.

The F-14's delivered to Iran also included 250 or so AIM-54 Phoenix missiles. However, since those were the AIM-54A models AND they've had absolutely no tech support for those missiles since 1979, I seriously doubt they are still functional. There was a report out there (credible or not, who knows?) that stated that as of 1987 Iran only had 50 AMI-54's left of the 250 delivered. So if they have any left now, I would be shocked.

That's what the Navy was saying in the mid-80s, and yet there are confirmed AIM-54 kills against Iraqi aircraft. And they've been seen carrying AIM-54s much more recently than that. The fact that they modified the Hawk as an AAM (sort of) indicates that they probably don't have many, if any AIM-54s operational today, but in anything related to their aviation industry, I don't count the Iranians out until proven so. Love 'em or hate 'em, the Iranians have demonstrated a *remarkable* ability to be ingenious and resourceful. Nobody in the USN or USAF would have given you money that Iran would still have operational F-14s in any capacity in 2010 given that they haven't had any real support (other than what Ollie North gave them in the 1980s) for 30 years. Ditto their F-4s. And yet, here they both still are, fully operational.

J

That's what the Navy was saying in the mid-80s, and yet there are confirmed AIM-54 kills against Iraqi aircraft. And they've been seen carrying AIM-54s much more recently than that. The fact that they modified the Hawk as an AAM (sort of) indicates that they probably don't have many, if any AIM-54s operational today, but in anything related to their aviation industry, I don't count the Iranians out until proven so. Love 'em or hate 'em, the Iranians have demonstrated a *remarkable* ability to be ingenious and resourceful. Nobody in the USN or USAF would have given you money that Iran would still have operational F-14s in any capacity in 2010 given that they haven't had any real support (other than what Ollie North gave them in the 1980s) for 30 years. Ditto their F-4s. And yet, here they both still are, fully operational.

J

They really are good at making-do. Lets face it folks, Iran, whether you agree with their theocracy or not, is the only diversified and more or less modern economy in the region. When the oil faucet gets turned off, and the Saudis are left sucking sand, its Iran that is going to become the regional super-power (economically and culturally, if not militarily), and they're already well on their way.

Edited by RKic
They really are good at making-do. Lets face it folks, Iran, whether you agree with their theocracy or not, is the only diversified and more or less modern economy in the region. When the oil faucet gets turned off, and the Saudis are left sucking sand, its Iran that is going to become the regional super-power (economically and culturally, if not militarily), and they're already well on their way.

They do better than "make-do" on many fronts.

Anyone I've ever met from that country has told me that Iran's biggest problem is a whopping gap between the wealthy and the poor, not much of a middle class is there.

Iran has always had a high standard of education and placed high value on it. Tehran is a well known university town. The major cities are pretty normal places with a largely reasonable thinking people getting on with their lives. Iran has a technical talent pool that does much better for the country than jury rigged and reverse engineered versions of foreign gear.

Outside of the cities is where the problem of desperation, poverty and a lack of access to higher education manifests itself. As such, a handful of well educated extremists with an agenda has been able to take advantage of a desperate, undereducated and disenfranchised section of the society.

Hardly unprecedented in history.

Iran has all the potential to be a strong and trustworthy ally in the region, they just really need a good houscleaning in the upper floors of the halls of power.

Far as I know 160378 was the last one left over. It went to PMTC and became an NF-14 with dingeroos Iran really doesn't necesarrily have to know I guess, but well it was scrapped anyways in 2000.

Thy could still offer a sale of two or three Bugs as a compensation for that one Tomcat. :doh:

• 2 months later...

Apologize for the little O/T :

not so long ago I've read the book "Iranian F-14 units in Combat" by Osprey.

Maybe just tales, but, about me a very interesting book and definitvely a must, for all the Tomcat fans.

I'm not on Osprey payrolls!

Regards

Paolo

Iran seems to have a brain freeze when it comes to designing aircraft. In recent news they literally claim to have designed aircraft which were in essence copycats of the originals...such as the Cricket the worlds smallest twin engine aircraft. They're conversion of an

into one with a V tail. Just the other day they unveiled their fleet of Bavar 2's

They apparently have been out purchasing plans for other aircraft as well. Rumors are they are going to release yet another popular home built design as their own. The designers and kit plane mfrs are none to happy about this.