Gen. John Lavelle Exonerated

How many more lives were damaged by the LIARS!!! who occupied Washington at that time. How many of us who were serving our nation with honor were made to look dishonorable. I can't speak for others, but this brings the My Lai incident very much into question among other things which are best not discussed in this and many other fora.

Somewhat similar incident happened to Captain McVay of the USS Indianapolis. He was court martialed for the sinking when there were all sorts of things in the event that exonerated him. He eventually shot himself and was finally exonerated by Congress in 2000.

Guess dad was right when he told me not to trust people.

John

Somewhat similar incident happened to Captain McVay of the USS Indianapolis. He was court martialed for the sinking when there were all sorts of things in the event that exonerated him. He eventually shot himself and was finally exonerated by Congress in 2000.

Guess dad was right when he told me not to trust people.

John

Among Civil War historians and fans generally, isn't this a frequent issue? Wasn't there a guy named Warren that Grant cashiered at...maybe Five Forks, but who was a hero for initially saving the Union flank at Gettysburg? The details now are vague to me. And I've heard all sorts of attempts to vindicate several Civil War leaders of both sides who's reputations seems to suffer in the initial post-war hero-making by both sides.

Among Civil War historians and fans generally, isn't this a frequent issue? Wasn't there a guy named Warren that Grant cashiered at...maybe Five Forks, but who was a hero for initially saving the Union flank at Gettysburg? The details now are vague to me. And I've heard all sorts of attempts to vindicate several Civil War leaders of both sides who's reputations seems to suffer in the initial post-war hero-making by both sides.

It was Sheridan rather than Grant at Five Forks, but you're right :blink: Dan Sickles also gets alot of debate from Gettysburg (folks argue that he either saved or nearly destroyed the Army of the Potomac because of his movements on July 2). Sickles is a hoot. He killed his wife's boyfriend, was acquitted on the first use of the temporary insanity defense, and then continued to frequent prostitutes. Sort of a double standard. LOL

John

Which bombing was did he get in trouble over. It sounds like it was during Operation Linebacker, but that was authorized by everyone from Nixon on down.

Was there anything during his term that Nixon didn't lie about or cover up??

It was Sheridan rather than Grant at Five Forks, but you're right :blink: Dan Sickles also gets alot of debate from Gettysburg (folks argue that he either saved or nearly destroyed the Army of the Potomac because of his movements on July 2). Sickles is a hoot. He killed his wife's boyfriend, was acquitted on the first use of the temporary insanity defense, and then continued to frequent prostitutes. Sort of a double standard. LOL

John

As I recall, Sickles shot the man in the street in a rather point-blank fashion. Sort of like the later Henry Thaw's matter-of-fact murder of Stanford White several decades later. Gunned him down, then surrendered to a policeman, freely admitting to having done it.

Several times in my life I've run into die-hard Civil War folks who have an axe to grind for officers that range from the mundane corps commander ("O.O. Howard never gets the credit he deserves!") to the frankly obscure ("Leonidas Polk was at least as good an officer as Lee!") Generally, they then launch into a meticulous account (not unlike railroad buffs' account of, say, the virtues of the Mallet-pattern locomotive, or an obscure spur line of the New York Central) of the man's career.

...But we digress...

They even called in the Japanese Submarine commander that sank him to testify against him... people will stop at nothing to save their own skin.