David Rapasi's P-51

Lovely Mustang - I think I'm right in saying it's a decal option in the Tamiya kit?

A quick search on the ever-helpful Little Friends website turned up this: http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/gallery.php...p;searchString=

Based at Fowlmere, Cambs, not far from Duxford - almost my home turf.

David, thanks for sharing your Mustang.

and where do you get the components for it? (the silver lacquer)

The silver lacquer that I use on natural metal aircraft or as a base for some painted aircraft is custom made.

I use Floquil Rail Road Enamel # 110101 Bright Silver for the pigment.

To start, the paint should not be shaken or mixed in any manner.

I pour as much of the carrier and thinner out of the bottle as possible, leaving the pigment at the bottom.

The bottle of silver pigment is filled with lacquer thinner, mixed thoroughly and allowed to set until the pigment is settled at the bottom.

I will let this mix set for a few days until the silver pigment has completely settled to the bottom.

The carrier and thinner are poured out leaving the pigment at the bottom of the bottle.

I will redo this process a few more times until all of the original carrier is removed from the silver pigment.

When all of the Floquil carrier and thinner is removed, I fill the bottle of silver pigment half full with PPG DURACRYL DCA 468 Acrylic Lacquer or similar paint.

Then fill the rest of the bottle with lacquer thinner.

The finished silver paint will need to be mixed with five to ten parts of thinner to one part paint, for application.

Any Testors Gloss Enamels or Model Master Paints can be added for tinting to any shade you wish.

If I am painting a model with a natural metal finish, I first buff the plastic and any primed areas with a clean and dry Dremel buffing wheel.

Dave