Building the A300 B2

Hi

After a long time without touching plastic, I decided to build this old kit.

Well, it is an airfix kit, so I knew it would be hard.

The first problem, was that the one of fuselage halves, was bigger than the other. Much bigger. After some houres of surgery with my new dremel I fixed the problem.

IMG_4691.jpg

The wings fit was excelent (very strange on an airfix kit), so I had no problems with them.

After I glued the fuselage and the wings, I continued with the engines. Bad idea :woot.gif:

They had the worst fit that I have ever seen. But after sanding for about 3 days :taunt: I finished them.

IMG_4695.jpg

After I sanded 2 tons of putty I was so bored that I handpainted the engine spiners.

IMG_4702.jpg

Then, I begann with some little detail, like the landing gears. An the pair of air inlets that are missing under the fuselage.

IMG_4699.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg

But when I thought everything was ready to start painting, I noticed a little detail in the tail. A little piece was missing.

I don´t know if I broke it or it came so.

IMG_4694.jpg

I will fix it tonight to start with the painting work tomorrow.

After some days without working in it, I started painting.

Wings masked and just painted

IMG_4718.jpg

Wings coroguard ready, I just have to fix a little problem with the spoilers painting. There is a zone that is too thin to be masked, so I have to hand paint it.

IMG_4719.jpg

Engines and Stabilizers masked and ready for painting

IMG_4720.jpg

I think it will be finished this weekend.

• 2 months later...

After a long travel to Germany I caem back home.And guess what I found, what was left of my A-300 lying on the floor.

I left it over my bed, thinking that it was a good place :jaw-dropping: , but with a little earthquake, it went down. :jaw-dropping:

I started the same day with the reconstruction. I cleaned the old paint and glued all pieces again.

And today I started again with the putty/sanding problem.

IMG_5701.jpg

IMG_5702.jpg

I hope it will be finished before christmas. :jaw-dropping:

• 1 month later...
After a long travel to Germany I caem back home.And guess what I found, what was left of my A-300 lying on the floor.

I left it over my bed, thinking that it was a good place :thumbsup: , but with a little earthquake, it went down. :taunt:

I started the same day with the reconstruction. I cleaned the old paint and glued all pieces again.

And today I started again with the putty/sanding problem.

IMG_5701.jpg

IMG_5702.jpg

I hope it will be finished before christmas. :D

Nice job so far. I too am building the Airfix A300B2 though I plan on making it into a -B4 model. I purchased the original Airfix 'Eastern Airlines' A300 at the IPMS Convention in Phoenix back in August. The fuselage halves were warped and I had to work my *** off to get the halves lined-up and bonded together. In fact, I had to use the 2-part, 20-minute epoxy to accomplish this, but it appears to have worked.

• 4 months later...

After my comprssor broke down about two month ago I stopped workin on this model and started with some others I had on my shelf.

A few days ago I found thid baby half-painted and decided to finish it.

I went to my LHS, got a new compressor and restarted painting.

At first, I painted the grey belly. The the wings and the typical lufthansa blue tail.

IMG_0942.jpg

The stabilizers become some paint too.

IMG_0941.jpg

Both engines are half-painted.

IMG_0939.jpg

I hope this week the engines an the upper white will be ready.

What do you mean one fuselage half was bigger? I've built probably five or six of those kits and I don't recall ever having a problem like that. It's a bear to build, but typical of 1970s Airfix airliner kits.

• 1 month later...

After long some days without working on it I managed to put my hands on it, FINALLY!!

I have already painted the last details.

IMG_1533.jpg

Also the engines are ready.

IMG_1534.jpg

And after some a couple layers of gloss cote, I started with the decals. As tipical Airfix decals the are way to thick.

Some ltrs. of Microsol are needed to bend them. They are also a bit old and the blue lines tend to crack.

IMG_1570.jpg

• 9 years later...