Hasegawa 1/48 F-4S & TA-4J Combo build.

The first real delay was because I really didn't feel like the next step which was fitting the etched cockpit sills and details supplied in the Hi-Grade F-4 kit. I finally had a short burst of enthusiasm and got them done a while ago.

150943-LTLR.jpg

151300-LTLR.jpg

152000-LTLR.jpg

and painted. Note that between the unpainted and painted shots that I also got rid of the chunky, kit supplied HUD and have replaced it with the etched one from the airwaves set (I forgot it was on there).

100500-LTLR.jpg

1004351-LTLR.jpg

100541-LTLR.jpg

plus I summoned the courage to add the etched frames to the windscreen and center pillar.

210930-LTLR.jpg

211152-LTLR.jpg

211224-LTLR.jpg

211102-LTLR.jpg

and, again, that was where they stayed for a very long time.

Cheers,

Motty.

Soooo, what have I done lately? Well, the next big disincentives were;

1/ That I needed to mask the interior of the A-4's canopy (that internal framing was going to be just too visible to "rough" it), and I finally found some enthusiasm for it.

120136-LTLR.jpg

with some of the internals fitted, including those four, tiny mirrors.

123814-LTLR.jpg

and the outside done too.

123755-LTLR.jpg

and 2/ The really big disincentive was the need to apply the Hi-Grade etched canopy frames to the inside of the F-4 canopies. Super glue and clear parts? Yuck!

It wasn't going to be made any easier by the fact that the frames were made of separate parts and not just folded into shape. I thought it might be easier if I could sub-assemble parts of them off the canopies first, so I glued them together with a small piece of styrene strip to help reinforce the joint. I then had to thin these strips down so that the pieces would fit against the angled sides of the kit parts.

200329-LTLR.jpg

There were also some white-metal parts to be added to the rear of both canopies too.

200737-LTLR.jpg

Although it mostly went ok, I did end up with some super glue on the inside of one of the canopies so i had to sand and polish it out. :(/>/> But I think they came up ok.

210824-LTLR.jpg

210754-LTLR.jpg

210631-LTLR.jpg

210918-LTLR.jpg

and then, of course, they had to be masked too.

123706-LTLR.jpg

123550-LTLR.jpg

And here's everything after painting. The A-4 canopy with the internal masking removed and the center support assembly fitted along with two small instrument clusters at the front and middle of the top beam.

185546-LTLR.jpg

185653-LTLR.jpg

and the F-4 canopies with their internal masking removed and a bit of dry brushing to highlight the details.

183043-LTLR.jpg

182842-LTLR.jpg

And that's where I'm at right now. Let's see if I can keep it going for a bit longer? ;)/>/>

Cheers,

Motty.

• 1 year later...

G'day All,

Well this is embarrassing. I knew it had been a long time since I'd done anything but I didn't realise it was nearly two years! Crikey! :tumble:

Oh well, in the interests of still trying to "follow this through", I thought I'd update this thread anyway for anyone who may still be interested (or even remember it ;)/> ).

First up; while the kits had been languishing on my bench, there was a bit of a disaster. I keep my aftermarket decals in several, large, ring-binder folders on a shelf above my desk, and one day when I checked in on the modelling room, I noticed one of them laying on the chair (not where I'd left it). Sure enough, a quick look around revealed that the F-4 kit had taken some battle damage. :(/>

Both of the outer wing joins had broken open, the leading edge of the left wing had split and I'd lost the left leading edge slat and some of the mounting rods;

P1010495-DTLR-1-001.jpg

P1010501-DTLR-1-001.jpg

P1010497-DTLR-1-001.jpg

This was a little disheartening to say the least, but it could have been far worse, considering the size and weight of the folder.

After finding all the bits (which took a while) I eventually repaired the damage and carried on a few months later.

Edited by Motty

The next thing which had been bugging me was the lack of rivet detail on the F-4s's tailplanes. This is a fairly distinct feature and would stand out under a metalic finish. I eventually struck up the courage to give it a go, and took the opportunity to remove the triangular strengthening plates (which are not present on Navy F-4s) at the same time. I used a Trumpeter riveting wheel for the job and was quite happy with the results (I was after the "effect" rather than absolute accuracy).

P1010792-DTLR-1-001.jpg

P1010799-DTLR-1-001.jpg

Another few months passed before I found the interest to begin the next, major step; painting! Typically, as I was doing this I thought of more things I should fix, namely the lack of detail on the Sidewinder launch rails. I used the relevant parts from the old, Airwaves etched set that I had also used for a couple of cockpit details (note that I'd already undercoated the parts when I thought of this).

P1010850-DTLR-1-001.jpg

I also started preparing the Aires burner cans and exhausts that I will be fitting.

P1010854-DTLR-1-001.jpg

These required a bit of trimming and sanding to fit together but nothing major. The worst part was that I needed to remove some of the area where the bottom half of the Hasegawa fuselage joins together, above the lower wing, to allow the resin bits to fit. This meant trying to snap off chunks of plastic, inside the fuselage, through the exhaust openings. A little nerve wracking.

I also plodded along with assembling the undercarriage of both kits (I'm using the hi-grade, white-metal gear for the F-4)

Then, finally, at the beginning of this year, some real progress. Painting! After undercoating both kits with Mr Base White 1000, the respective blues were applied to each.

P1010874-DTLR-1-001.jpg

P1010880-DTLR-1-001.jpg

P1010888-DTLR-1-001.jpg

But, sure enough, even this didn't go smoothly. These kits are the first time that I have used Mr Color lacquer paints (I normally use Xtracolour and Humbrol) and, whilst I expected a learning curve, the biggest lesson I learned was that they need to be thinned a lot more than I'm used to. I actually ended up going through a whole bottle of blue and still not quite finishing the Skyhawk.

Thanks to some help from a friend of mine (thanks again Andrew) I managed to get another bottle and carry on (thinning a lot more this time). It also seems that, although I thought the bulk, automotive lacquer thinners I was using already had a leveling (or retarding) agent in it, the paint still benefited from some dedicated Mr Retarder.

The Blue for the F-4 is a mix of a metallic and dark blue. Although I couldn't tell for sure from photos, Hasegawa has specified a metallic blue for both editions of this kit so I went with that.

No sooner had I finally got some colour onto the kits than they disappeared again under a flurry of masking, so that I could paint the wheel wells, doors and undercarriage on both kits gloss white, the black walkways on the A-4 and some red edging and metal areas on the F-4.

P1010899-DTLR-001.jpg

P1010900-DTLR-001.jpg

P1010901-DTLR-001.jpg

P1010912-DTLR-001.jpg

P1010895-DTLR-001.jpg

P1010897-DTLR-001.jpg

P1010905-DTLR-1-001.jpg

(I didn't want any overspray. ;)/>

And so, finally, here's what they look like at the moment, after the coverings have been removed.

P1010919-DTLR-001.jpg

P1010929-DTLR-001.jpg

P1010922-DTLR-001.jpg

P1010927-DTLR-1-001.jpg

P1010935-DTLR-001.jpg

P1010939-DTLR-001.jpg

P1010936-DTLR-1-001.jpg

P1010940-DTLR-1-001.jpg

P1010943-DTLR-001.jpg

I am quite happy with the new (to me) Gunze paints. I think that, once I lean the finer points of using them, they will be great. They go on very thin, dry fast and the finish seems very tough (even the metallic colours, which look great too).

So there you have it. Finally, some significant progress after almost two years! I wont even pretend that any future updates will be any better but thank you to those who have dropped in again after such a long delay for a look-see.

Cheers,

Motty. :wave:

I only joined ARC relatively recently (compared to your previous posts) so I hadn't come across your work on these two before. I am very glad I did because not only is your work nice to look at, it was terrific to find some good pictures of Aussie Phantoms, Mirages etc on your website. Bookmarks all round for future reference. I am looking forward to seeing you finish these off, keep us posted, even if it takes another few years.