I normally do helo and jets, but wanted to do something different, heard that one before? I am planning on a fairly complex ship build for the end of the year and thought I'd build up to it with some simpler builds. So here they are, all 1/700th. They are the Dragon USS Mustin, USS Independence and a HobbyBoss, I think, USS Seawolf.

IMG_3623.jpg

I am not too worried about doing too much to them, I know about some of the issues with the Mustin, I am mostly working on techniques with these builds.

The LCS-2 is cool and a quick build, I've spent a couple hours on it so far and it's almost ready to paint. :thumbsup:

IMG_3618.jpg

IMG_3617.jpg

The kit comes with some PE, though I might add some railings that they didn't provide from a Gold Medal set.

I am building the sub to work on my water techniques. It's one of those $6 models that I built with my kids that was heading to the scrappers due to enthusiastic playing, the antenna and periscopes were mangled, so off they went. I'll throw a quick coat of paint on it and start playing with Acrylic gel.

IMG_3620.jpg

The Burke is going to be a bit of a stumper, I am already trying to figure out how to paint the decks while building it... I will be adding some Gold Medal PE wihich is the next issue, I am a little concerned about all of the angles.

IMG_3622.jpg

IMG_3621.jpg

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

mason

Whoa, didn't think the Independence would be that big! :lol:

And the flight deck is freaking huge! I am planning on putting a MH-60S on deck, but it looks puny! It's like I need to place two.

mason

How do you plan on replicating the dull aluminum finish of the Independence? I'm thinking of getting the kit, but I have no idea how to do that.

Decks are always a problem, and there are as many ways to do it as modelers. I put on the photo etch rails, then paint the deck color, then mask the deck, then paint the ship color.

How do you plan on replicating the dull aluminum finish of the Independence? I'm thinking of getting the kit, but I have no idea how to do that.

Decks are always a problem, and there are as many ways to do it as modelers. I put on the photo etch rails, then paint the deck color, then mask the deck, then paint the ship color.

I tried this, but kept knocking off the rails. Got frustrated and tossed the kit back in it's box. How are you able to prevent that? Any good tips you can provide?

I tried this, but kept knocking off the rails. Got frustrated and tossed the kit back in it's box. How are you able to prevent that? Any good tips you can provide?

Only extreme patience and care and small bits of tape at a time. I think most shipbuilders put the photoetch on after painting, but then you glue them to the paint, not the ship, and you have more noticeable glue lines. Some people have detailed decks and perfect photo etch - I think they practice witchcraft. If you don't know about it, the best web site to ask these questions is Steel Navy.

1/700 ship building with photo etch is for masochists. That's why my ships are sitting in the stash while I mostly build the ridiculously easy by comparison 1/144 aircraft. But seeing a stealthy ship model with few masts and rails and details is very tempting.

I am planning to paint the hull lt gull grey. I spoke to a guy who has actually worked on the real thing and he mentioned that it looks grey the further away you get. The actual surface is brushed aluminum as mentioned.

I am planning on painting the hull, do some masking then paint the deck. Someone mentioned painting the pe first while still on the frets, so I'll give it a shot. After everything is painted and probably decaled, I'll put the pe on. I will either use CA to glue them on or try some decanted DullCoat, a tip mentioned by someone who is helping me out.

I'm hoping the pe isn't too painful, the Burke looks to be a big task.

Thanks for the comments. I have made some minor progress on the Independence and the Seawolf has the first coat of paint on.

mason

Edited by doupnik
  • 2 weeks later...

Some progress, the Independence is mostly painted, need to touchup a bit. I am not too sure I like to colors, The Lt Gull Grey looks a little too warm and the flight deck, Gunship Grey, looks a little too purple. Any suggestions?

IMG_4611.jpg

IMG_4612.jpg

The flight deck with my MH-47G. The deck is so small, I didn't want to place just one H-60 and I am not sure how they would spot two.

IMG_4613.jpg

Closeup of the MH-47. It started as a PitRoad Ch-47, and I think it's not too bad, almost want to cast some copies of the next one and do the Kitty Hawk during OEF, with all of the SpecOps helos onboard.

IMG_4616.jpg

IMG_4615.jpg

I sanded the Seawolf down a bit to get it lower and threw a coat of NATO Black on it, but I think it's a little too dark. I am thinking about masking it off as the non skid and painting the rest of the hull a lighter black.

IMG_4617.jpg

The Burke has gotten a little further.

IMG_4618.jpg

IMG_4619.jpg

Thanks for looking.

mason

Some progress, the Independence is mostly painted, need to touchup a bit. I am not too sure I like to colors, The Lt Gull Grey looks a little too warm and the flight deck, Gunship Grey, looks a little too purple. Any suggestions?

I

Mason. E-mail "The Mikester" (Mike Offutt) He spent a couple of weeks on her rigging some com gear on it.
:coolio:

I only spent an hour or so talking to him.

Got to send an email out...

mason

Catching me when I'm not underway these days is becoming a challenge, just pulled into Manila yesterday. The light gray for the hull looks pretty good. The non-skid on the flight deck usually winds up looking like old asphalt after a few months of use so you if you can visualize that and come up with something close that should do it.

Edited by The Mikester
  • 2 weeks later...
Catching me when I'm not underway these days is becoming a challenge, just pulled into Manila yesterday. The light gray for the hull looks pretty good. The non-skid on the flight deck usually winds up looking like old asphalt after a few months of use so you if you can visualize that and come up with something close that should do it.

Thanks for that, I am planning on dirtying up the deck after the dullcoat. I looked at some of my pics of her and I am pretty happy with the colors. Are you going to make the Oct BBQ? I hope to have her done by then.

Slight change of plans, I will finish this build and then start the CA-74 project, so the Burke and sub are on hold. I will probably pick up another kit and try it all again later, but I am OK with where this build is.

The antenna is almost done, and most of the other bits are painted and ready to put on. I am going with the kit pe and will save the GM stuff for my next build. I got the decals on and man do I need to come up with another way to put those stripes on. :salute:

IMG_5173.jpg

Someone on ModelWarships gave me some tips on spotting the H-60s, so I will probably go with two of those and save the MH-47.

IMG_5175.jpg

Almost done, and chomping at the bit to start the next project. Thanks for looking.

mason

Edited by doupnik

mason,

Looking very good.

I quite like to see builds of ship etc .it makes such a lovely

change to see other r genre of build othe than Jets..and

as Aviation consists of not just fighter Jets,Its always a delight to see Ships.

Keep up the good work..Neat !!COOL !! ;) <_<

• 1 year later...