New Badger models for you diehard Badger guys

I just got back from the NATS and took these pics of the latest Badger airbrushes. I was surprised to learn that Ken Badger himself was running the table so he and I had a long conversation about his airbrushes, particularly the Velocity. We seemed to hit it off so well that when I was leaving the vendor room Ken tracked me down and handed me a Sotar 20/20 for free! I was rather surprised of his generosity. What a great guy! Anyways, Badger took the cup design from the Patriot and put it on the "new" Velocity and also made another model with a smaller cup for both the Patriot and Velocity. He calls this new Velocity model the "Velocity Jet" if I recall?

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

Edited by Cyrus Tan
I'm liking the new aluminum box MUCH better than the plastic one.
Same here, but that's exclusive to the Renegade series.
Are Badger airbrushes still made in the US?
According to Ken Badger himself, they are still made 100% in the US at their Chicago plant. On a side note, Ken actually listened to my constructive criticism about his Renegade series and how to make them more appealing to modellers because they're actually designed for the automotive guys.
...made another model with a smaller cup for both the Patriot and Velocity. He calls this new Velocity model the "Velocity Jet" if I recall?

Correct.. Velocity Jet and the Patriot Arrow are the two new models with the smaller cup. We have a few of each arriving later this week and more to come.

I just got back from the NATS and took these pics of the latest Badger airbrushes. I was surprised to learn that Ken Badger himself was running the table so he and I had a long conversation about his airbrushes, particularly the Velocity. We seemed to hit it off so well that when I was leaving the vendor room Ken tracked me down and handed me a Sotar 20/20 for free! I was rather surprised of his generosity. What a great guy! Anyways, Badger took the cup design from the Patriot and put it on the "new" Velocity and also made another model with a smaller cup for both the Patriot and Velocity. He calls this new Velocity model the "Velocity Jet" if I recall?

So, can I expect a direct comparison of the Sotar 20/20 to the Harder & Steenbeck Infinity soon?

• 1 month later...
YES - 100%, Badger is the only company that can say that! We proudly manufacturer and stand behind our airbrushes with a pride and passion that makes Made in the USA mean something more than just being a slogan!

Welcome to ARC Mr. Badger, Guess what kids, we're getting noticed :) B) :banana: . I don't own a Badger at present, but I will ASAP.

Edited by Angels49
So, can I expect a direct comparison of the Sotar 20/20 to the Harder & Steenbeck Infinity soon?

Cyrus, any update on the comparison yet. An first impression post will be wonderful. I can wait for the details later.

It is so unfair to be a teaser.
Thanks for being patient Kei. I was waiting to get permission from Ken before posting this. Anyways, Ken & I met today over at my house because I've been working with Badger to improve the Renegade Velocity for modelers and here's what we have so far. The obvious difference is the nickel chrome finish, the tapered cup design from the Patriot 105, and the plastic fitting around the airvalve from the Sotar. The trigger and internals are also from the Sotar. It has the same 0.21mm self-centering nozzle & tip from the Velocity. I also recommended the 0.33 mm tip and needle from the "Rage" for more general purpose since modelers want a brush that can "do it all". Personally, I would use a different brush, but that's me. :whistle: I'm also pushing for a metal lid and I believe the one from the 100LG will fit because the diameter is the same. There are a few other minor recomendations that I have addressed and will be looked at further. At this time I think Ken and I have agreed to call this model the "Renegade Krome", but nothing is set in stone yet. In case some of you are wondering, I've tested it against the H&S Infinity with India ink and I can tell you it performs equally to the H&S Inifinty for fine lines even with the 0.15mm tip. Here's some pics I took.

:pray:

P1010056.jpg

P1010061.jpg

P1010063.jpg

P1010060.jpg

P1010053.jpg

P1010059.jpg

Edited by Cyrus Tan
Thanks for being patient Kei. I was waiting to get permission from Ken before posting this. Anyways, Ken & I met today over at my house because I've been working with Badger to improve the Renegade Velocity for modelers and here's what we have so far. The obvious difference is the nickel chrome finish, the tapered cup design from the Patriot 105, and the plastic fitting around the airvalve from the Sotar. The trigger and internals are also from the Sotar. It has the same 0.21mm self-centering nozzle & tip from the Velocity. I also recommended the 0.33 mm tip and needle from the "Rage" for more general purpose since modelers want a brush that can "do it all". Personally, I would use a different brush, but that's me. :tumble: I'm also pushing for a metal lid and I believe the one from the 100LG will fit because the diameter is the same. There are a few other minor recomendations that I have addressed and will be looked at further. At this time I think Ken and I have agreed to call this model the "Renegade Krome", but nothing is set in stone yet. In case some of you are wondering, I've tested it against the H&S Infinity with India ink and I can tell you it performs equally to the H&S Inifinty for fine lines even with the 0.15mm tip. Here's some pics I took.

:rolleyes:

Thank you for sharing. I think that Don Wheeler will love that trigger. So it has the same 0.21mm self-centering nozzle & tip from the Velocity. I wonder if Badger will package a "2 in 1" for sale. I think that the 0.33 mm tip and needle from the "Rage" is the same as the 100 fine needle.

New guy here...

I think it looks good and the finger rest is a nice addition. I'd prefer Sotar black but that's just me. Please be sure they include a regulator without the arms. Would some graduation marks/rings on the needle stop be too much? And, wonder how it will compare price wise with the current Velocity?

Beautiful!! I think that's going to be a winner. Thanks for posting the pictures.
No problem Don.
I think that Don Wheeler will love that trigger.
Contrary to what I've read and heard about the smoothness of the trigger on the standard Velocity, I found it had rough drag for my liking. It has a stiffer feel, but the one from the Sotar is much smoother. I think people who own the Velocity will notice and appreciate the difference.
I wonder if Badger will package a "2 in 1" for sale.
I pretty certain that's the plan. A "2 in 1" package and also the 0.21mm tip by itself kind of like the H&S solo packages.
I think it looks good and the finger rest is a nice addition. I'd prefer Sotar black but that's just me. Please be sure they include a regulator without the arms. Would some graduation marks/rings on the needle stop be too much? And, wonder how it will compare price wise with the current Velocity?
I find that the finger rest gives me a better grip and adds comfort, because the body by itself is a bit narrow for me. I suppose it's because I'm more use to the way my Iwatas feel in my hand so it's just a personal preference. You can always take it off if you don't like it. As for the "pick cap", I'm not sure that will be included since I made no comments about it. I did try it with the one from the Sotar and the paint response wasn't as good as the horns because the nozzle doesn't protrude far enough from the aircap. You would have to tweek the pick cap by sanding the back end to get better response. As for price, I think it will be a bit higher due to the chrome finish, but well worth it IMO.
Welcome to ARC Mr. Badger, Guess what kids, we're getting noticed :salute::rofl::rofl: . I don't own a Badger at present, but I will ASAP.

Thanks Angel. you were noticed long ago (I'm a lurker). I just drop in to forums if I can make a worthy contribution.

You are a very knowledgeable group who often provide us with a good assessment of what we're doing right and wrong as a company specifically, as well as how we can improve airbrush design in general to better meet your needs. We make no claims to being users of airbrushes, and feel you, actual users, can better tell us what you need than we can determine in our conference room. The balance between your input related to usage and our manufcaturing know how we hope facilItates our always producing the best product for specific user needs. I do believe our efforts to mate user's input with our manufacturing knowledge does set us apart. There are some things we realize we can't do efficiently from an operational cost standpoint, but we'll never stop listening to user's ideas and trying to meet the overall needs of airbrush artists. It's what I believe Made in America means. It's not just a patriotic slogan, it's a high standard of care and service that 46 people take pride in maintaining everyday we make and test Badger and Thayer & Chandler airbrushes in our suburban Chicago factory. I do appreciate our ARC forum product user's confidence and apologize for my spammish post.

Take air,

Ken

Mark 10:27

BADGER

AMERICAN MADE

AIRBRUSH EXCELLENCE

www.badgerairbrush.com

Edited by kenbadger
  • 4 weeks later...
Thanks Angel. you were noticed long ago (I'm a lurker). I just drop in to forums if I can make a worthy contribution.

You are a very knowledgeable group who often provide us with a good assessment of what we're doing right and wrong as a company specifically, as well as how we can improve airbrush design in general to better meet your needs. We make no claims to being users of airbrushes, and feel you, actual users, can better tell us what you need than we can determine in our conference room. The balance between your input related to usage and our manufcaturing know how we hope facilItates our always producing the best product for specific user needs. I do believe our efforts to mate user's input with our manufacturing knowledge does set us apart. There are some things we realize we can't do efficiently from an operational cost standpoint, but we'll never stop listening to user's ideas and trying to meet the overall needs of airbrush artists. It's what I believe Made in America means. It's not just a patriotic slogan, it's a high standard of care and service that 46 people take pride in maintaining everyday we make and test Badger and Thayer & Chandler airbrushes in our suburban Chicago factory. I do appreciate our ARC forum product user's confidence and apologize for my spammish post.

Take air,

Ken

Mark 10:27

BADGER

AMERICAN MADE

AIRBRUSH EXCELLENCE

www.badgerairbrush.com

Well, I am new here, actually this is my first post, but this sold me. I was going to buy a grex kit from my LHS, but after reading this post I purchased a badger 100 (to compliment my garage sale find 150) to hold me over until this one is released.

Andrew

• 1 month later...

This new version of the Velocity looks great. I currently have a Velocity and a Rage. I love them both and I must say I prefer the dark finish to the standard chrome finish. I think the tapered cup will be an improvement. Is there an ETA for availability for the new Velocity?

This new version of the Velocity looks great. I currently have a Velocity and a Rage. I love them both and I must say I prefer the dark finish to the standard chrome finish. I think the tapered cup will be an improvement. Is there an ETA for availability for the new Velocity?
I'm still waiting for my production sample to arrive. It should be here in soon. The one you see pictured is a pre-production sample. As far as I know, the new handle is what's slowing things down which are currently at the platers awaiting a chrome finish. It's a cut away type with a micrometer sleeve at the preset screw. The guns themselves have been tested and ready to ship so my best "guestimate" would be January and to my knowledge, MiddTenn Hobbies will be the first to carry them.
I'm still waiting for my production sample to arrive. It should be here in soon. The one you see pictured is a pre-production sample. As far as I know, the new handle is what's slowing things down which are currently at the platers awaiting a chrome finish. It's a cut away type with a micrometer sleeve at the preset screw. The guns themselves have been tested and ready to ship so my best "guestimate" would be January and to my knowledge, MiddTenn Hobbies will be the first to carry them.

Cyrus: Thanks for the update. I will be looking for the new model.

Do they sell the boxes seperately? I bought three brushes from the 'garage sale' last year and they just came all in one box in bubble wrap. I think I need a better way to store them and the boxes would be great.
I don't know if they sell boxes or cases seperate, but Bear air sells a couple of plastic cases that may suit your needs and they're cheap. See link and 2nd link.
Cyrus: Thanks for the update. I will be looking for the new model.
Your welcome.
Do they sell the boxes seperately? I bought three brushes from the 'garage sale' last year and they just came all in one box in bubble wrap. I think I need a better way to store them and the boxes would be great.

Max Bryant

Max..

Shoot me a PM and I might be able to help.

Jack