I have finally finished my 'Resin Shop' model of the PAK FA.

001.jpg

I decided to paint it in the three-tone splinter camouflage scheme worn on later flights by the sole T50-1 prototype.

This meant that I had find the markings from my spare decals box.

The bort number 51 came from an A-l-a-n-g-e-r Su-30 decal sheet, the outline-only red stars were simply made in MS Word (simple star shape) and printed onto Experts Choice clear decal sheet on my inkjet printer - the rest came from the spares box.

I was very pleased with how the stars came out - and how easy they were to apply

002.jpg

I also modified the kit exhausts to make them droop and cut the vacform canopy to show it open.

003.jpg

004.jpg

This view is a comparison with my scratchbuilt PAK FA - showing how much bigger my attempt is...

005.jpg

PAK FA next to a Su-35S.....

006.jpg

This shot is for Berkut - showing the shape of the fuselage top surface and engine nacelles.....

007.jpg

Ken

I had a bit of a disaster along the way - after masking off the camo pattern using Tamiya tape, I 'filled in' the bigger areas using cheap auto masking tape.

When I removed it - the cheap tape had left a nasty sticky residue - which I had then to carefully clean off..... ;)

The finished model isn't as good as I would have liked - I botched a few things - but at least it's finished..... ;)

There is also a mistake with the undercarriage - see if you can spot it...... :rofl:

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

This page from the Russian Magazine 'Takeoff' was useful in determining the camo patter - it meant that I didn't have to do it myself....

camouflage_01.jpg

My scratchbuild is here and the 'In Progress' thread for this resin model is here.

Ken

Well, what can i say, she is freaking beeeeeeeatifull Ken. :rofl: I became worried because you haven't updated yours in progress thread, started to think you have been slacking at work. ;)

Regarding the LG, you put it wrong way around. :) (i memorized the way they are supposed to be, i think i am going nuts...)

004.jpg

Ken

Just a small nitpick. I haven't had time to fully compare the drawings to PAK-FA and check the camo, but one small mistake i can see right now. On the closest wing, the white area stops before the trailing edge, however, it should continue all the way to trailing edge. Easy to fix, but that is up to you. ;) Just heads up for others that want to use the drawing to figure out the camo. I will try to check it in full today.

PAK FA next to a Su-35S.....

006.jpg

My favorite shot!

This shot is for Berkut - showing the shape of the fuselage top surface and engine nacelles.....

007.jpg

Ken

Again, not to mock yours work, but you the engine problem is seen here indeed. The nacelles on the modell are "following" the spine at the sides of it. However, on the real thing, nacelles are slightly in an angle, so they morph into the spine.

Again, splendid job Ken. I can't really spot any other mistakes than the camo and lg. :rofl:

EDIT: Some spelling etc.

Edited by Berkut

Splendid job Ken ;)

You should be proud of your model, it looks great.

This view is a comparison with my scratchbuilt PAK FA - showing how much bigger my attempt is...

Ken

Indeed, but what it highlights is how close the overall shape is to the resin model. Considering you built yours from scratch I think you did a cracking job fella!
I haven't had time to fully compare the drawings to PAK-FA and check the camo, but one small mistake i can see right now. On the closest wing, the white area stops before the trailing edge, however, it should continue all the way to trailing edge.
Hi Berkut, would you mind trying to clarify the cammo issue you noticed please? I stared at the images of the model then compared them to both the photo on the magazine cover and also the drawings but they look the same to me..... :cheers:

I love the way the comparisons look. Thanks for showing the finished article Ken. I sincerely hope you manage to bring them both along to Telford later this year so I can see them in the flesh. :blink:

;)

Hi Berkut, would you mind trying to clarify the cammo issue you noticed please? I stared at the images of the model then compared them to both the photo on the magazine cover and also the drawings but they look the same to me..... :worship:

:jaw-dropping:

That is because the side i am talking about is hidden by the angle and the stab on the cover. Compare:

IMG_0877_pf1.jpg

(from: http://pilot.strizhi.info/2010/06/22/8752#more-8752 )

vs:

004ku.jpg

As i said, no bigge. The mistake is on the drawing, that is why i personally trust pictures more. :P I will do some more comparing, to see if there is more bugs in the drawing. Obviously the nosecone is marked wrong on drawing, but Ken did it right on the modell. :thumbsup: Could we get an underside pic, Ken?

PS: What colors did you use? :)

Edited by Berkut

Hi, Ken!

It is very glad that you have finished model Ã’-50. Congratulations!!!!!

There were complexities at assemblage?

I hope that you will meet Alexey in Telforde and will show it this model.

All the best. :jaw-dropping:

Fantastic build Ken! :jaw-dropping:

Also, I was curious, where might I find a copy of that Take-Off issue? :monkeydance:

-Awan

I picked up a free copy at Farnborough - they did an English-language edition specially for the show.

I also got the Russian-language 'book' (softback, 59 pages, expands slightly on whats in the magazine) on the PAK FA published by them.

Takeoff (Vzlet) magazine website is here you could give them a try.

Ken

Could we get an underside pic, Ken?

016.jpg

PS: What colors did you use? :)

Well, I purchased the AKAN paint set that is supposed to be matched to the Su-35........

But - I couldn't make out which colour was which (there are no instructions - although I could probably have figured it out) -

And - I am a big coward when it comes to airbrushing - I'm just not comfortable with it (although I am getting better).

And - I am even worse with acrylics - so I abandoned the AKAN paints (through cowardice, not because they are not good) - and used my more familiar Humbrol enamels.

For the White areas I used Satin White Hu 130 - with a drop of dark grey added to take off the starkness - (it also means that I can't match it perfectly again to 'patch up' the missing white area that you pointed out )

The lighter grey is Humbrol 127 and the darker grey is Hu 125 - they look like good matches to my eyes.

Cockpit is Helblau.

Anyway....... you're not supposed to be criticising my model :P - your supposed to only say how brilliant it is...... :P

The purpose of 'The Display Case' is :- Display your finished models here to show us your model and get some compliments.

If I wanted you to savage it I'd put it in 'Critique Corner' :- Post pics of your models here and get polite, constructive feedback on how you can improve your future models. Comments are only in response to pics posted by the builder of that model in this forum.

Seriously though - I'm only joking and I don't mind. :yahoo:

It's good that you spotted the mistake in the white camo - although I probably won't fix it now.

I also put the main gear legs on the wrong way round - as you also spotted.

I checked, double-checked, then still managed to get them wrong - I'm getting too old.....

Keep it coming... :cheers:

Ken

Seriously though - I'm only joking and I don't mind. :cheers:

Ken

That is why i am "criticizing" you because, i know you are not going to take it very close to the hearth. :D When i comment other models in this section, i am never commenting on "errors".

But yours model *is* brilliant, i just wish i could see it at Telford.

Thanks for the underside shot and color tips. :tumble: