Tinting a canopies, Future, Alcad, etc.

I have tried Tamiya clears to tint per the Future guide. No joy as it does not want to mix. Anyone used anything else? Food coloring? Acryl?

How about mixing Tamiya clears with the Tamiya thinner and dipping a canopy in that?

How about mixing a Tamiya tinted clear with thinned out Tamiya clear coat?

BTW, I tried spraying Alcad clear green on parts of two S-3 canopies(Has and Airfix) last night. Hasegawa came out nice. Alcad on the Airfix canopy for some reason wanted to go on rough and I had to polish it out. Go figure. I think the Airfix canopy had been dipped prior in Future. Hase had not. That could've been it.

Edited by DutyCat

The following mixture is the base that I use for tinting canopies. I mix Tamiya X-19 Smoke with Denatured Alcohol to the desired consistency for airbrushing (usually about 2 parts Denatured Alcohol and 1 part Tamiya Smoke). This mixture will work fine if you just want a darkened canopy. If I am doing an F-16, I add a few drops of FW Acrylic Artists Ink. It comes in a one ounce glass jar with an eye-dropper screw on top and is available at places like Hobby Lobby, etc. If you want another color, such as green, add a few drops of Tamiya X-25 Clear Green. I do a test run on a spare (clear) canopy. If it sprays well and goes on well, I go right to the canopy that I want to tint. I put on several light coats. I let the canopy cure for at least 48 hours, usually more. If it is not completely smooth, I give it a dunk in straight Future. I have a small jar of Windex w/ammonia close by that I drop my test/spare canopy in to clean it up for my next project. I hope that this helps you out. Good luck.

The following mixture is the base that I use for tinting canopies. I mix Tamiya X-19 Smoke with Denatured Alcohol to the desired consistency for airbrushing (usually about 2 parts Denatured Alcohol and 1 part Tamiya Smoke). This mixture will work fine if you just want a darkened canopy. If I am doing an F-16, I add a few drops of FW Acrylic Artists Ink. It comes in a one ounce glass jar with an eye-dropper screw on top and is available at places like Hobby Lobby, etc. If you want another color, such as green, add a few drops of Tamiya X-25 Clear Green. I do a test run on a spare (clear) canopy. If it sprays well and goes on well, I go right to the canopy that I want to tint. I put on several light coats. I let the canopy cure for at least 48 hours, usually more. If it is not completely smooth, I give it a dunk in straight Future. I have a small jar of Windex w/ammonia close by that I drop my test/spare canopy in to clean it up for my next project. I hope that this helps you out. Good luck.

Thanks for taking the time to respond thoughtfully. I can spray it no problem. What I was looking for is a way to dunk it! I want SOMETHING I can mix with Future that will mix well. Tamiya aint it. I have heard trying food coloring or India ink. Got any thoughts on that?

Thanks for taking the time to respond thoughtfully. I can spray it no problem. What I was looking for is a way to dunk it! I want SOMETHING I can mix with Future that will mix well. Tamiya aint it. I have heard trying food coloring or India ink. Got any thoughts on that?

Tamiya clear acrylics and Future don't mix well. You'll get clumps of pigment within the solution. PM sent.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used food coloring a couple of times. Biggest problem is that you need a lot of it in the Future to get even a little bit of effect in the finished product. I also found that it helped a little to leave the part in the Future a while, hoping that more of the color would deposit itself on the part.

I've mixed Humbrol Acrylic with Future without problem. So much so that after a couple of years the surplus mix I kept in a bottle was still fine without any sign of seperating.

It didn't occur to me that mixing stuff with future might be a problem - guess I was lucky first try !

P

Citadel Colours (Games Workshop) do an ink used for shading flesh tones called "Flesh Wash".

This has a nice bronze tinge to it and mixed with Future does a nice canopy tone.

I used it on a Revell 1/48 Eurofighter Typhoon and it looks quite nice.

It is nearly finished, I'll post some pictures when it is done.

I have tried Tamiya clears to tint per the Future guide. No joy as it does not want to mix. Anyone used anything else? Food coloring? Acryl?

How about mixing Tamiya clears with the Tamiya thinner and dipping a canopy in that?

How about mixing a Tamiya tinted clear with thinned out Tamiya clear coat?

BTW, I tried spraying Alcad clear green on parts of two S-3 canopies(Has and Airfix) last night. Hasegawa came out nice. Alcad on the Airfix canopy for some reason wanted to go on rough and I had to polish it out. Go figure. I think the Airfix canopy had been dipped prior in Future. Hase had not. That could've been it.

I have used the Testors clear blue and green to tint canopies and it worked for me. You just can't put it on heavy.

Steve