The Ridiculously Overpriced Thread

• 1 month later...

Here are a few I just came across. What scares me is that they started out cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Accurate-Miniatures-1-48-SB2U-1-Vindicator-/321092238657?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item4ac296bd41

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SB2U-3-Vindicator-by-Accurate-Miniatures1-48-Scale-/160992908039?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item257becd307

Same bidder on both of them. Honestly either somebody is an idiot or is just messing around with people.

Edited by nerdling
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are more seedy reasons for absurd bids... I've been told that it can be used as a way of transferring funds to somebody for something else, as a way of kind of laundering money. It can also be that the same person has several accounts and is up-bidding himself in the hopes of snagging somebody and then he'll let them pay hundreds of dollars for something that isn't worth $5.

Either way I see it as too much a coincidence to be legit, these days. It's something going on under the table, though you really can't tell what just by looking at it.

The countless times I have seen someone post a 1/32 Revell F-16N or A kit priced as if it were a Tamiya 1/32 F-16 kit. Or the 1/32 revell F-4's starting at $99.00

There is a sellr that has a Trumpeter 1/200 USS Arizona kit priced around $900 too.

We have a local Craigs List advertiser that has a small thrift shop that is trying to sell some older Revell and Monogram kits way up in the hundreds. Nothing special. Just old kits.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here you go.

Two Bobs RF-4C decal

This guy is wanting over $40 BUY IT NOW for a decal that I know Bob was selling for less than $5 when he discontinued it.

Hey, Canada, I have at least two or three of these I will sell them to you for your price. WOO HOO! :yahoo:/>

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

Here you go.

Two Bobs RF-4C decal

This guy is wanting over $40 BUY IT NOW for a decal that I know Bob was selling for less than $5 when he discontinued it.

Hey, Canada, I have at least two or three of these I will sell them to you for your price. WOO HOO! :yahoo:/>/>

Best Regards,

Ken Bailey

(SonyKen)

See, that's irritating. Here's a set I'd love to have, and then some dinlow asks the price of a whole kit for it... and then probably whinge about nobody buying it!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hasegawa A-4B Falklands

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320726041678

5 days left it was already at $92, 2 days left it's at $142.

Sold at $177.50, another one right after sold for $166.

There are two obvious shills with zero buys and no activity afterwards... :P

Silly money - nasty trick... Again: decide in advance how high will you go and stick to it! :thumbsup:/>

There are two obvious shills with zero buys and no activity afterwards... :P/>

Silly money - nasty trick... Again: decide in advance how high will you go and stick to it! :thumbsup:/>/>

That' is why people need to learn how to just snipe items at the very last second. I refuse to get into a bidding war. I figure if I want something I will wait until the last 10 seconds and then just swoop in and bid my max. Usually I get it in the end.

I used 'search' to see if anyone has mentioned the Wild Hare Phantom FG.1/FGR.2 conversion kit.

As such, search came up with nothing.

If that's accurate I find that surprising given that fact that said conversion kits were going for as much as $2,000USD just in the last year or so!

There was one for sale over at LSP for $1,000USD a few months ago.