The Ridiculously Overpriced Thread

Here's a pinned thread to post links to the more extreme e-bay auctions.

I'm gonna guess by extreme you mean end price. But you got to realize just because $1 is a $1 doesn't mean it's the same value to everyone. Your dollar may be earned in 10 minutes where the next guy earns $100 in that same time. Auctions are auctions. If something is auctioned it's not really over priced unless it starts too high and never sells. I've sold a book of matches for $200 and a broken electric fan for $2400. Both started under $10. I sell lots of decals model and none model and very seldom "auction" them. A lot of times I know they could go for more on auction or sell faster if I lowered my Fixed Price. I think I've only auctioned one model decal ever. B-24 Liberator Decals I have around 400 AmTech JU-88 mistels and when I first checked how they were selling they were doing $50+ plus postage regularly on auction. I'd love to get that and thought about it but I fix price them out at $25 shipped. To auction one a week, they'd take 7.5 years to sell.

I'm gonna guess by extreme you mean end price.

Well there isn't really any parameters for these "Ridiculously Overpriced" auctions......sometimes auctions start with a very high opening bid based on the fact the seller thinks the item will fetch a high price due to the winning bid on similar items. Or a very high "buy it now price".

I belong to a 1/1 car forum and on that forum there is a thread there for Craigslist ads that have crazy high asking prices for cars that aren't worth anywhere near what the seller is asking.

There is also another thread for Craigslist ads that are good deals or interesing items that other users might find interesting for restoring or upgrading their cars.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone care to pay $12 ($17 with shipping) for a kit decal sheet for a kit that can be found for $10-15?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hasegawa-1-72-F-A-18F-...=item2a0a03052b

:worship:

I wonder why it "will be shipped by brown envelope package." Don't see anything X-rated about the sheet... but I guess if SWIMBO catches you paying through the nose for those decals, there will be hell to pay... :coolio:

If it does sell we should find the buyer and hit them on the head with a tack hammer for being stupid.

If it sells, I would love to reach out to the buyer and offer him a 1/72 Fujimi F-14 for HALF the price... he'd probably scoop it up! :salute:

One of the reasons items sell for too high prices is through the sheer ignorance of the bidders. I have seen kits that were still available retail if one knew where to look for them (like on-line model dealers) start at low starting prices and have seen them sell at prices beyond retail, plus shipping! If only the bidders knew they could have ordered the kits on-line at a lower price! :rofl:

Sometimes the auction becomes an issue of not what is being bought but who is bidding on it. The sale becomes a pi**ing contest between two male egos, obviously emotionally charged, with testosterone spurting out all over the place. :rofl: The attitude of the buyer is "I'm gonna get that thing, not the other guy." Eventually one bidder runs out of money or time or just wakes up, slaps himself and asks, "What am I doing?!" and quits bidding.

I have seen this kind of thing happen again and again. However, it is not bad when the two puppydogs are fighting over something I'm selling. :rofl:

It is like when a woman plays hard-to-get and the guy goes nuts chasing after her. Until she finally snares him! Then he wakes up married and askes himself what was he thinking? Point is, he wasn't thinking.:salute:

There is also the case where a bidder sees something he has been searching for a very long time and is not going to let it get away at any price. I did that once on ebay and when I got tired of nibbling away at the competition with small higher bids I simply bid all the cash I had sitting in my account at paypal. Then I went to bed and forgot abut it. When I awoke the next morning I found that I had bought it for half my highest bid. The other guy gave up nibbling. I did that only once for a very rare item I had never seen before on ebay. Four years later another appeared on ebay and it went for half what I paid for it. But I did not care because it was something I had to have when I had to have it and I got it.

Hooman beans are crazy critters.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...
How about this one?

Wha...wait, how much?! :crying2::salute::crying2:

It's a gorgeous model, but jeez.

Ironically, that's probably a fair reflection of the time, skill, and effort that goes into a model of that quality. The "pro-built" models that sell for $150-200 are grossly undervalued (assuming they're well built).

How about this one?

Wha...wait, how much?! :banana: :o :huh:

It IS gorgeous! And it is a LOT of money. But:

The kit, aftermarket, and materials are probably worth at least $250: Hasegawa Hornets run at least $50, Eduard PE is around another $25, then the Aires (I think that's what it is) radar is probably $20, electronics bay another $15, wheel bays $30, cockpit at least $30, plus the resin AAMRAAMs and Sidewinders, JDAM, and GBU are probably another $30-40 total. I'm gonna go on a limb and say he also used Wolfpack wingfolds, another $15. (If he didn't do that and used the folding-wing Hasegawa kit, add another $25 to the $50 he spent on the kit, and if he scratchbuilt the folds he'd have a buck or two in styrene.) Add in a decal sheet for $15, a few bottles of Gunze paint at $3 a pop, glue, thinner, and a half-dozen Xacto blades and you've got at least another $20 in. So say he's into it for say $250, that leaves $1750 for blood sweat and effort, and I'd bet a model like that took at least 50 hours of work at the bare minimum. That works out to a maximum of $35/hr (much likely much less), which is a lot less than you'd pay for any top-notch craftsman or tradesman to do anything for!

Nonetheless it'd be nice to be able to get someone to pay 2 G's for one of my models!

How about this one?

Wha...wait, how much?! :cop: :o :huh:

I must heartily disagree. I think that price is actually very reasonable considering the product and craftmanship; it looks to be built to a top quality standard and has everything hanging out. Now it is nothing I can afford mind you, but I agree with Holeshot's analysis except for one thing he missed. It looks like the model has white metal gear and if those air SAC replacements, then they cost at least $750!!! :huh: