Hi,

As you can see, I've been collecting stuff from the time when PP Aerokits were still being sold. The same stuff can now be bought from DJ Parkins (Flightpath).

ARCDSGBJAG1.jpg

I have read that the Hasegawa kit fits better than the more recent Italeri kit. The Hasegawa kit is from the time when the SEPECAT Jaguar was new and it can really use the upgrade parts to build the 1991 version.

The Italeri kit has the stuff that was added to the Jag for war: Phimat pod, ALQ-101 pod, chaff/flare dispensers.

It also has fuel tanks, which are missing from the HAsegawa kit.

ARCDSGBJAG2.jpg

I hope to build the Hasegawa kit with a recce pod (Diplomatic Service) and the Italeri kit with CRV-7 pods (Johnny Fartpants).

Cheers, Stefan.

Thanks for the interest, guys.

I have started on the Italeri Jaguar.

I did a bit of research and found that the Jaguar cockpit is a lot blacker and less grey than I thought.

Luckily, I have another Italeri kit in the stash, so I have enough droptanks.

The tanks have had the (much needed) putty added.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi Stefan,

I don't really know the Hasegawa kit,but the Italeri is not that bad.

I've built it OOB,had no problems.The panel lines are a little bit shallow but with some extra work it can built up to a nice model.

Regards,Laz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks for the encouragement, Laz. :worship:

I've been working on both my Italeri kits. I have decals and aftermarket weapons for them, so why not build it now.

ARCDSGBJAG3.jpg

When I installed the cockpit, I found that the instrument panel is a bit too wide and would have caused a gap between the airframe halves that enclose the cockpit.

Don't worry about shaving a bit off the instrument panel: nobody is going to see that abit was shaved off the side and it is more a generic instrument panel than a real Jaguar IP.

Cheers, Stefan.

How is the fit of the wings to the fuselage? I once built the Italeri Jaguar trainer, and the fit up there was very problematic

Yes, it's a trap.

After I posted that picture yesterday, I added the wings. They go in easily, it's certain that there will be gaps to fill, but if you're not careful, you can have the wing hanging lower on one side. If you psuh the wing down really hard, you also get steps between the wing and the top of the fuselage.

So, it took a bit of re-adjusting, but I hope they are OK now.

Cheers, Stefan.

Thanks, Gianni. :)

I've started on the Hasegawa Jags too now.

The Hasegawa kit is nice, especially if you have a Flightpath set to add to it. Really good is when you have a couple of Italeri kits too...to donate fuel tanks.

I don't have a Hasegawa trainer Jaguar T2 or Jaguar E, but I have seen sprue shots. These do have fuel tanks, even 3 of them if I'm not mistaken.

A good thing about the PP or Flightpath PE fret for the Jaguar is that it contains 2 HUD's and 2 sets of pitots and temperature probes and UHF single blade antennas. So, these can donate something to the Italeri Jags too.

Watch out if you use Model Alliance sheet MA72-117: they provide serial XX356 for "Mary Rose". This should be XZ356, XX356 is not a Jaguar serial. Easily solved with all the XZ's on the sheet.

Cheers, Stefan.

can the speedbreaks and cockpit be posed open on the Hasegawa kit?

Hi,

Yes, both are possible.

The airbrake parts are one of the weaker points of the kit: the holes in the airbrakes are represented as raised bits. Yes, the brakes are solid pieces and there are tiny oval hills where there should be oval holes.

Luckily, the PE fret (from Flightpath or PP) has replacement airbrakes.

Cheers, Stefan.

so let me ask this then; who makes the more enjoyable, fun to build kit? Hasegawa or Italeri?

Hi,

That is a difficult question.

The way the plastic feels and fits together, the Hasegawa is more fun to me.

If you have to have one with the Gulf War stuff and fuel tanks, the Italeri has it all in the box. If you want that from the Hasegawa kit, you'll have to get aftermarket stuff. I have never seen the Model Alliance set (CS-105), but I think that's the only one with droptanks.

With aftermarket comes "spending more money" and "using PE, resin and white metal" which may reduce the fun from the Hasegawa kit.

Cheers, Stefan.

Nice looking formation Stefan. Better late than never.

Seeing them arranged in a diamond like this, reminds me of a Revell set I had long long ago, where four F-4s came on a single four branched stand. It was one of my favorite models when I was a kid. I think I repainted it at least 3 times in different made up colors :sunrevolves:

A formation in-flight display might be a cool way to show these four also

Seeing them arranged in a diamond like this, reminds me of a Revell set I had long long ago, where four F-4s came on a single four branched stand. It was one of my favorite models when I was a kid. I think I repainted it at least 3 times in different made up colors :D

Hi,

That's pretty cool. I remember seeing a USAF Thunderbirds kit like that with 4 F-16's, but I've never seen a Phantom one.

Jaguars are no strangers to 4 ship formations. I believe there was a RAF recruiting poster in the early 1980's with a Jaguar 4 ship flying over a refinery.

I have seen RAF Jaguars performing a "missing man" formation in the year that King Hussein of Jordan passed away. He had spent some time on one of the squadrons that went on to fly Jaguars, I'm not sure if it was No 6 or No 54.

Despite all that, I'm putting wheels on my Jaguars. The Hasegawa wheels have better defined rims (which eases painting) than the Italeri wheels. They also have some thread on the surface of the tyres, which the Italeri wheels don't.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Here's some beautiful footage of an RAF 4-ship formation in the 1970's.

I did a bit of research to determine the configuration of the airframes (antenna and tailcone) that I want to build.

Antenna: single tall one or two shorter ones. Not much to worry about, they changed those during the war and some Jaguars were photographed during the war with the tall one and went back to the two short ones after the war.

Tailcones: long or short. The long one drops off when the braking chute is released, the short one swivels down and stays on the aircraft.

Of my candidates for building, I saw the following on photographs (mainly on Jakub's site ;) ).

XX725 long, XX962 long, XZ106 long, XZ119 long, XZ356 short, XZ358 short, XZ375 long and XZ367 short.

Some of the ones with a long tailcone got a short one after the war, for example XX962 had a short one by 1994.

Cheers, Stefan.

Edited by Stefan buysse

Thanks, Gianni.

Several factors will help decide in addition to the look of the art.

I have some people checking their archives to see which aircraft carried which recce pod.

I will definitely have to build one with a short tail cone because I cut off the tail cone of one of the Hasegawa's.

XZ119 will get built this time: I like the art and an ex-RAF bloke once gave me a painting of XZ119. He coloured in a black and white copy of a drawing with water colours.

XX725 too: I have seen the aircraft at an airshow in Belgium when it still had the mission marks. Since seeing that, I have wanted to build this one with CRV rocket pods.

I'm also keen on XX962: I have seen the aircraft when it was already grey, but still "alive". It can also be a neat aircraft to display next to a TIALD Tornado because Sandra and Tracy were also on the pods.

Cheers, Stefan.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm working on the two Italeri Jaguars now, hoping to have them ready for primer tonight. During the last couple of weeks, I got distracted by some other stuff, like the AFV F-5E.

Anyway, I found out the hard way that the PE HUD is a bit to tall when fitted to the Italeri coaming: the windshield cannot fit over it. I'll see if I can snip a bit off the HUD or if I'll have to go with the kit HUD's.

Cheers, Stefan.

I can not wait to see the progress of your models!

In the meantime I followed your advice and I added a Jag to my project for this GB ;the courier handed me the decals and seat bang just as I was writing this message!

Good luck!

:cheers: Gianni

In the meantime I followed your advice and I added a Jag to my project for this GB ;

Cool, Gianni.

Are you going for a Hasegawa Jag or an Italeri one?

While gluing on the Italeri centerline pylon, it was good to have an Hasegawa Jag nearby. I couldn't determine from the Italeri instructions which way the pylon goes on. The locator pins ar not in the middle, so I was either going to have it more forward or more aft. Comparison with the Hasegawa kit showed it's more aft.

I hope to have pictures up tomorow night.

Cheers, Stefan.

Cool, Gianni.

Are you going for a Hasegawa Jag or an Italeri one?

I bought the Revell kit;

we will see for the occasion the three main kit in 72nd of this aircraft...

But now I am busy with the Tornado with the tedious filling,sanding,filling,sanding,filling,sending,etc... and at the Jaguar has not yet arrived!

:jaw-dropping: Gianni