"Eat my shorts Hussein" Finished!

don't forget to clip the back corner of those fuel tank fins.

Que... :lol:

Considering there are many war time pics of the 363rdTFW(P) showing mission markings, I will have to say the mission markings were painted on as the war progressed.

Alright, so I'll have to go back and put on some mission markings...

I had diagrams of the Mk84 AIR but I can't find them anymore :banana: ... and the only decent pic on the Internet I can find is this one:

Yeah, I saw that one. As it turns out I had pics of them all along I just didn't know it. In the back of the Squadron pub. "Viper" by Lou Drendel theres a few pics of them. They're kind of dark and that's probably why I didn't notice them before. They seem pretty similar to what I've done but, I think the fins my be a little too big. I can live with that though, their close enough for me and I gotta to move on because I need to get my Harrier going... :thumbsup:

Edited by Rampage55
Que... :)

the external fuel tank fins aren't proper for Desert Storm time period and need to be modded slightly. I tried looking, but I don't have any good pics to show.

a NY ANG jet ...

73560323.jpg

and from the web http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/me...F-1234S-048.jpg

and someone's model http://hsfeatures.com/features04/images/F16D_PDS_10.jpg

Edited by Benner
Why Hasegawa chose to mold these pylons and fuel tanks this way is strange. It may provide a strong join between the tank and pylon but it looks like crap. I decided to fill in the slots on the pylons and trim away the stubs from the tanks and drill in pins to hold it in place.

F-16A_363rd_bld_23.jpg

Beautiful build!

I also find it interesting that the pylons and tanks are molded that way. As I recall, on the 1:1 scale aircraft that tanks are not even removable from the pylons (except by the jettison cartridges...)

I spent a couple of nights early in the war building up external 370 gallon fuel tanks from kits - when they're jettisoned, the new ones have to come from somewhere! It was easy duty, there's not that much to a fuel tank, and I figured a whole lot safer than building up bombs over in the bomb dump.

Mike

Thanks Benner!...Except he was applying them to the opposite side I was planning on applying then to.

But here's a photo the plane I'm doing with them on the right side. Did they put them on both sides?

I believe so, they painted the mission markings on the port side and when they ran out of room they painted them on the starboard. According Jakub's site, "Eat my shorts" flew 56 sorties, there's no way there are 56 bomb markings in that pic.

Thanks Ben!...That's good enough for me.

Why Hasegawa chose to mold these pylons and fuel tanks this way is strange. It may provide a strong join between the tank and pylon but it looks like crap. I decided to fill in the slots on the pylons and trim away the stubs from the tanks and drill in pins to hold it in place.

A flat coat has been sprayed and some weathering with pastel dust has been applied. This was again sealed with a final dull coat. At which point I felt it was save to remove the masking from the canopy. I still need to paint the canopy frame between the front and rear sections.

After I had sprayed the dull coat on I realized that I had forgotten to apply the mission markings to the right side of the nose in front of the canopy. My question is, were these mission markings applied one at a time after each mission as the war progressed or were they applied all at once at the end of the conflict for their return home?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark, your F-16 looks great! Looking forward to seeing more

• 1 month later...
Mark, your F-16 looks great! Looking forward to seeing more

Thanks Ken!... :)

Any progress on this beauty?

Well Gianni it sure took me a while to get around to it but I have finally made some progress with this build.

Thanks for asking... :thumbsup:

The landing gear and doors have been attached but I still need to flat spot the tires. It's almost done, the thing that has really slowed this build is getting bogged down with the stuff that I'm going hang off it. Definitely one of my least favorite parts of the process, especially doing missiles... Which I still need to finish off.

F-16A_363rd_bld_26.jpg

I am pleased with the way the Mk84 AIR's turned out though, not perfect but, good enough for me. I added some bomb graffiti with a white pastel pencil and sealed it with a dull coat. I swiped the ALQ thingiy for the centerline station from a Revell A-10 and the AIM-9's are from a Tamyia F-16 kit. I also added 16 of the eventual 56 mission markings carried by this aircraft, I wanted to depict it during the early stages of the conflict.

F-16A_363rd_bld_25.jpg

I was hoping to have this build done by Thanksgiving of last year so I could have enough time to complete another build for this GB but, life had other plans... Oh well, I should have this one finished in a few weeks.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

It's almost done, the thing that has really slowed this build is getting bogged down with the stuff that I'm going hang off it. Definitely one of my least favorite parts of the process, especially doing missiles...

Me too! I have builds that aren't quite done because the stuff hanging on them isn't done. :bandhead2:

I am pleased with the way the Mk84 AIR's turned out though, not perfect but, good enough for me. I added some bomb graffiti with a white pastel pencil and sealed it with a dull coat.

Thos Mk 84s look awesome, nice scratch work and graffiti. :thumbsup:

ALQ thingiy

:rofl:

Beautiful work Mark!! I really like your weathering, especially on those tanks and bombs.

mason

Thanks Mason!... B)

I'm glad I took the time to do the Mk84 AIR's, especially considering that's what they seemed to carry most often.

I must confess I'm looking forward to getting back to building something with Marines on the side of it though... :thumbsup:

Mark

Thanks Mason!... B)

I'm glad I took the time to do the Mk84 AIR's, especially considering that's what they seemed to carry most often.

I must confess I'm looking forward to getting back to building something with Marines on the side of it though... B)

I suggest you build a Marine Corps OV-10 Bronco :thumbsup:

F-16 is looking great, those bombs make me want to try making those Mk84 AIR too.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you gentleman, your encouragement is much appreciated!... :worship:

It took me a lot longer than I thought, but I did get it done in the end.

F-16A_363rd_11.jpg

F-16A_363rd_08.jpg

F-16A_363rd_04.jpg

I'll post the rest of the finished images in the Gallery section.

I would also like to thank Benner and Pete for hosting a brilliant GB. My only regret is that I didn't have more time to contribute more.

:worship:

Mark

dude, another flawless build from you, awesome work :woot.gif:

did you take any measurements when making your Mk84 bombs? like fin size, where to cut, etc? I'd like to make some for myself. Also, what do you use for the fuze?

Hi,

It's a beauty, I love the way the Mk-84 AIR fins turned out. :woot.gif:

I'm also taking a bit longer than anticipated to finish anything, but I hope to get the two Jaguars done by sunday night.

Cheers, Stefan.

cutting it close are we? :coolio:

dude, another flawless build from you, awesome work :)

did you take any measurements when making your Mk84 bombs? like fin size, where to cut, etc? I'd like to make some for myself. Also, what do you use for the fuze?

Thanks Benner! I'm looking to join you on the "Indefinite ODS GB" for a bit after this GB is over. I have a few more ODS build I'd like to do get done... :woot.gif:

I have a diagram of the Mk 84 AIR's that I used and I have been meaning to scan it and post it up here. I just haven't got around to it yet. For the fins I cut a master from plastic card using the diagram as a pattern and then used that to copy the rest of the fins. I'll get a scan up of the diagram and more detail of what I did by the end of the GB.

I'm also taking a bit longer than anticipated to finish anything, but I hope to get the two Jaguars done by sunday night.

Thanks Stefan,

I'm rooting for ya!... :coolio:

One of the reasons I like GB's so much is they help provide the motivation I seem to need to get projects finished off. If it wasn't for the looming "ODS GB" deadline my Viper would more than likely still be collecting dust.

Edited by Rampage55
Thanks Benner! I'm looking to join you on the "Indefinite ODS GB" for a bit after this GB is over. I have a few more ODS build I'd like to do get done... :thumbsup:

haha, awesome. Jakub's kinda in the Indefinite ODS GB but he doesn't make any progress :rolleyes: As for me, I only have room for about 4 more kits then I have to stop :banana: The line up for the rest of the year is a French Mirage F1CR, F/A-18D, and a B-52.

A "Green Knights" Delta eehhh?... I'll be looking forward to that one.

Only four more Benner? Say it ain't so... Perhaps the Mayans were on to something. If you stop building Gulf War stuff then the end times must be close at hand... :thumbsup: