what is the shelf life of Tamiya tape?

I'm thinking about using strips of tamiya tape to model some lightly raised surfaces around an afterburner can. I plan on covering the tape with a coat of future, and then painting the part with the tape strips on it.

Is this something that will hold up over the years, or will the tape dry up and peal off in a few months/years?

Aluminum tape, huh? I never even heard of it. I'd better go do some googling
I think it's what they use in the air conditioning trade. Like to tape the evaporator to the forced air unit. Think it's called "foil tape"

I used normal masking tape to simulate the walkways on a tomcat i did 4 years ago, i recently trashed that model and the tape was still sticking to it like mad, no peeling of any sort, i did not coat with future though, i used testors clear cotes.

If low end tape can hold up 4 years with low end coats, no doubt tamiya tape will hold with future, and a coat of paint after it.

Although it could hold, I would go with the styrene strips using normal solvent glue. I could imagine that the overall conditions (surface, room temperature, humidity and temp changes) could effect the adhesion of the tape. With tape, I see a risk when using finishing techniques like a wash or if you have to rinse the modell under water to get rid of dust.

Cheers

Thorsten

i used testors clear cotes.

If low end tape can hold up 4 years with low end coats, no doubt tamiya tape will hold with future, and a coat of paint after it.

Testor's is not a "low end" coat. Although commonly available, it is in my opinion, the finest clear coat you can buy. The Dullcoat gives the smoothest flat I have ever seen. I have tried practically every available product over the years...enamels, lacquers, and acylics. I have not found anything better. Future, in my opinion, is a finicky way to get a gloss. It runs easily and gives inconsistent results unless you are an experienced user. You can get a nice gloss much easier with Testors. Of course, Testors needs to be thinned with lacquer thinner for best results.

I'm thinking about using strips of tamiya tape to model some lightly raised surfaces around an afterburner can. I plan on covering the tape with a coat of future, and then painting the part with the tape strips on it.

Is this something that will hold up over the years, or will the tape dry up and peal off in a few months/years?

I had a canopy on my Tamiya F-16 covered with Tamiya tape for two years and finally removed it a few weeks ago when I FINALLY finished the model and there were no ill effects what-so-ever. No residue, no stiff tape, paint peel, etc.

Use in confidence.

Jeff