A significant number of elements were corrected during the course of this build using scratch built or modified kit parts,in addition to the excellent Zacto intake and windscreen/canopy correction sets, and Aires cockpit and gear bay sets.

- Add windscreen air ducts

- New lengthened and repositioned nose pitots

- Enlarged vents to port nose.

- Added missing probes and antennae to front underside fuselage.

- Reshaped gun trough and made blister panel as one panel, instead of a separate stuck

on piece.

- Reformed trough shape of launch bar housing and modify launch bar.

- New missile rails.

- ‘Pinched’ profile to fuselage at rear of canopy required modification to both

fuselage and Zacto canopy frame.

- Rebuild and detailed nose leg, adjusting length for correct sit of model. This

was my preferred option rather than modifying the main gear. Tyres modified

so as not to look like a 4WD.

- New gun gas purge door and ram.

- Lengthened airbrake and bay which is too short, adding detail to bay.

- Structural work to inside of fuselage at airbrake position to correct what is an

otherwise crude fit of the fuselage halves.

- Form new dorsal and ventral nav lights and mountings.

- Open all cooling inlets/vents, adding mesh where applicable.

- Strengthen wing joints for extended wing positions.

- Form main gear legs from combined plastic and metal parts with added detail and

remove spliced joint to rear strut.

- New fuel vent; kit part looks more like a UHF aerial.

- New ventral ECM canoe housing; kit part too small/wrong shape.

- Repositioned and re-sized air starter panel.

- Removed raised LORAN to fin.

- Reduce width of rear fuselage (tail cone) which is too wide relative to depth.

- New turbine exhaust and lengthened jet pipe.

- Add frames to inside of rear fuselage/tail cone, including new pivot mounts for

tailplanes; kit provision inadequate.

- Add chaff/flare dispensers at rear.

- Tailplane fuselage fairings corrected so as not to go underneath tailcone.

- Replace ECM antenna to fin top rear for correct orientation.

- Modify 4 No outer wing pylons to hollow aspect and all pylons to have the correct

orientation of ‘apertures’ and resets.

- Remove raised panels and re-scribe areas which were noticeably wrong when

compared with photos.

- Modified drop tanks to correct length, diameter and detail.

Edited by John Wolstenholme

Love it

i know what you mean by take more time and make your money worth your while! Since im running out of space im going to be building a 1/32 F-16 that i plan to take around 8 month to do

Will be following this one closely

Cheers

Neo

Welcome back John,

I will follow you build with great interest.

Taking into consideration your previous story about the EE Lightning,I bet that this one will be an amazing and educational job again.

Keep the up dates coming!

Regards,Laz

One thing I have found returning to the hobby later in life is I no longer have to build as quickly as possible to get onto the next one – it’s cheaper that way (JC) :monkeydance:

Cheers

John

I feel the very same way John for the same reasons, but I don't find it cheaper because I usually buy lots of expensive add-ons rather than scratch-build them like you can skillfully do. I look forward to yet another JW project, which is certain to be epic and impressive- and very accurate. You've taught me a lot.

wow.. that looks great. I've got one of these moving up the queue. I purchased the nose and intake correction package along with the canopy correction kit but didn't realize that there was so much more to do to this kit to bring it up to snuff.

Sometimes I really do hate being somewhat OCD when it comes to models. I see the corrections other people make to their kits and I end up having to do the same thing or wind up not being happy with the results. It's really tough for me to just build 100% OOB.

I'll have to book mark this one for reference.

thanks

David

Hi John,

great job on the wheel bays.

Do I see it right:is there some additional wiring? :D

I love the details on the AIRES goodies,I am always satisfied with them.

Looking good. :P

Keep the pictures coming.

Regards,Laz

omg, the master is at it again!

i love watching your builds. good that i have finished my A-7, seeing your work i would never have started it.

cant wait to see how you fix the rear fuselage

as for an A-7 expert, try barry over on LSP

Good God in heaven, the Master is at it again and what a choice of subject...A-7..woohooo. I have 2 of these kits in the stash and I'll be following this very closely. As I requested before please post a lot of photographs. :thumbsup:

Mike

John - Thanks so much for the idea of cutting access openings in the wing area. When I assembled the two fuselage halves, one of my electronics bays popped out of place and I was at a loss as to how to properly reseat it. Your build is keeping mine going. :crying2:

John

Absolutely great build and article. You work is an inspiration to others. I love the A-7E and will follow this build closely. I really like the way you post your build with numbered photos. It makes it so easy to follow.I will save your article for further reference.I worked the Stencil SJU-8 seats if you have any questions about them. That of course depends on the timeframe of your aircraft.

Look forward to seeing more of your great work.

Edited by Cunumdrum61

Hello John,

keep the process going.

Maybe I will have some inspiration finally from the method you will correct the tail.

I would like to build one SU-22M3,which has much bolder fuselage than the M4 variant.

Of course,all the available kits in 1/72 are made with M4 fuselage,even the box art says M3...you can be sure that it is not that one.

Regards,Laz

Edited by Tripio
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...