Thanks for the interest and comments guys.

you must be loving it.

Marcel

Marcel, I can definitely say I am not loving it. It is a real PITA. If you look at David Brown's photos and the DoD there was definitely an overspray/respray (in parts)at some time, so what to go with makes it what I have just said. Using the decals to set out the camou demarcation lines around the nose, I see CED have the same name on both sides - CAG Capt White, when clearly it should have Capt DCAG Bailey on the stbd side. Arrows with names on are too long. I am going to have to bite the bullet and buy the CAM sheet just to get the correct name on the stbd nose. So, if anybody else has the 1:32 CED sheet you may wish to consider this whilst the CAM sheets are available.

Not so cheers

John

Fantastic research and execution John, especially on those landing gears and bays.

I'll probably never have a go at an A-7, but I hope an eventual F-16 will look

even half as good at what you've achieved on this build.

I had missed this thread up until now John, excellent work as usual!

The work on the wheelbays and landing gear is simply first class, can't wait to see her with the full paint job.

Great stuff, another stunner in the making here! :thumbsup:

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Edited by Gambler

Hi to you Anthony, Charlie, Kage and Jeff. If you’re wondering if this is all I have done since 14 August, you’d be right.

Spent a considerable time going cross-eyed in front of the monitor, then spraying, just to get port side camou flowing onto pylons and drop tank.

61.jpg

62.jpg

Big thanks GW for your consultations, a most helpful and useful sounding board exercise.

When I eventually get an ‘even’ paint job, then got to ‘mess’ it up. T out for a late summer break.

John

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Any more on this John?

Yes indeed.

Trying to get the camou demarcation lines positioned wrt to the decals was where I left off last year as some did not align. Also, the colour profiles provided with the CED and CAM decals don’t look right for the fuselage and underside of wings; spent hours looking at photos trying to figure out a plan. An additional problem is the fact there are variations between the DoD photos (March 1991) and those taken by David Brown (May 1991). Looks like it was over sprayed (in part/all?) to go on the airshow circuit. So who knows what is really correct. The interesting thing is that I haven’t seen any photos with drop tanks after the over spray.

Hi JMan. I feel the need, but not quite sure for what!

Hmm interesting. I am glad I bought the CAM decals as well as the super accurate CED as I see other errors with the CED sheet, well certainly for the March scheme. The triangular intake warnings and rescue arrow markings lettering is the colour of acft, not white. The arrow rescue head is the wrong shape on the CAM sheet, but right on the CED sheet, so it’s mix and match. You can see the intake warning decals are too short and I have ‘opened’ them up, as angle looks too acute, by cutting into 3 pieces. Wouldn’t fancy putting this on in one piece anyway due to NACA inlet etc.

A3_zps2b2daae1.jpg

Stbd down, port to go.

• 1 month later...

Hi Jeff, Yorch, JMan, Marcel and Tonal, thanks for dropping in and your comments.

Finally all the masking is off after weeks trying to get a ‘weathered’ look with which I am reasonably happy. All of the photos I have seen show this aircraft to be anything but pristine, but at the same time trying not to overdo it! The canopy and windscreen etc were masked for about 15 months, using Tamiya tape, so I wondered if there might be a problem of residue. No - whether due to me using plastic polish, or would be the same using Future, I don’t know.

A5.jpg

Now to ‘weather’ the pylons, sort out the tail planes and match the camou on all the gear doors for completion. And a few odds and sods.

Your all new Photobucket, what a PITA! Rather have the old system.

Edited by John Wolstenholme