Hasegawa A-4E/F & EA-6B spare parts needed

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and this is my first post. Also, I've only recently started building model planes. I'm loving it so far but I'm learning as I go and making plenty of mistakes along the way. However, I have completely messed up the canopies of the first two aircraft I have built (Hasegawa A-4E/F & EA-6B). Does anyone know where I can buy these spare parts without having to order completely new models? Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm glad to be here!

Thanks!

prowlermodel.jpg

However, I have completely messed up the canopies of the first two aircraft I have built (Hasegawa A-4E/F & EA-6B). Does anyone know where I can buy these spare parts without having to order completely new models?

Cassidy,

Welcome aboard! You didn't mention a scale, but since Hasegawa only ever did a 72nd Prowler, I am assuming that's which scale you are talking about. If those kits are still in production by Hasegawa, you can go here to obtain spare parts for their kits:

Hobby Link Japan

Scroll down to #5 and it'll tell you how to go about ordering spare parts.

Another question, when you say "you messed up your canopies", what exactly is wrong with them? Perhaps they can be fixed, that is if they aren't physically broken into pieces.

Rick

Edited by madmanrick

YOu could get a vacform canopy for the A-4. As much as hurts to recommend them, Squadron have them.

You can also order direct from Hasegawa. Much quicker than HLJ and probably cheaper.

Write to Hasegawa direct ( a letter that is not an email)

Hasegawa Seisakusho Company Limited

3-1-2 Yagusu Yaizu

Shizuoka 425 8711

Japan

Clearly state what you are after eg 1/48 Hurricane Mk IID Kit # JT52, parts L4, A5, J7 and J11.

Enclose three (3) international reply coupons (purchase from the Post Office) (last time this cost me $10 AUD total including post)

Post and wait 3 weeks. parts will appear in the post with some flyers.

Thanks a lot guys, I'm sending the information to HLJ now. I've heard it can take a while to get the parts, but as long as they are on their way I can wait. There are plenty of other models I want to start while I wait. This site seems to have great resources and some very informative members. I plan to learn a lot here! Thanks again!

Oh and also the canopies are beyond repair.. :( Do you guys know of any helpful tips and methods for painting canopies? It's almost as if when I make one wrong brush stroke it ruins the entire thing. (leads me to sanding or using some type of thinner to try and remove it and totally ruins the plastic)

So I take it you took some lacquer thinner to your canopies?????????????

If you screw up painting just strip them with oven cleaner or brake fluid (the stuff for your car) never use any kind of thinner to remove paint, it will eat your plastic (as you well know)

Curt

Oh and also the canopies are beyond repair.. :D Do you guys know of any helpful tips and methods for painting canopies? It's almost as if when I make one wrong brush stroke it ruins the entire thing. (leads me to sanding or using some type of thinner to try and remove it and totally ruins the plastic)

Actually scratches or other surface damage to a clear plastic canopy can be repairable. You can simply use "tri-grit" sanding sticks to polish the damage out, as well as a plastic polish or even toothpaste (the actual paste stuff, not a gel type) and restore a canopy to its' former glory. Also, when working with clear plastic canopies, I strongly recommend dipping them in Future Floor polish (also known as Pledge with Future Shine) first, it will save a great deal of headaches. You can find detailed instructions here on the ARC Forums to perform both tasks and it will make you a better modeler in the long run! HTH,

Rick

Oh and another thing about canopies. If the canopy is intact (i.e. still in its' original form and not broken), but damaged in another way, such as your paint issues, you could always smash form one. Basically it involves making a copy of the original by heating clear plastic sheet and pushing the "master" into the plastic. It isn't difficult, but does require some skill and safe handling of the hot plastic. The advantage to this method is that you could make as many as you need or until you get it perfect, whichever comes first! Again more detailed instructions are available on this site, in the Tools 'n' Tips" section.

Rick

So I take it you took some lacquer thinner to your canopies?????????????

If you screw up painting just strip them with oven cleaner or brake fluid (the stuff for your car) never use any kind of thinner to remove paint, it will eat your plastic (as you well know)

Curt

Purple Power (AKA Castrol Superclean) works great for clear parts as well

Yes, I have learned my lesson about using thinners... Again, I am totallyyyy new to the hobby. Making a new canopy at the moment sounds like a little more than what I'm capable of at the moment, however I will keep it in mind in the future. I am going to try the techniques you guys recommended next go around. Hopefully I'll get it right next time.

Do you guys free-hand the canopy with a brush or tape it off and use a spray?

And I apologize if I am flooding the forum with questions that are already available. The models in the galleries are absolutely stunning though, just looking for some one-on-one professional suggestions.

-Thanks fellas

Edited by cassidy0998

I tape it off,then will brush the inner frames if needed, use Tamiya tape. but first dip them in Future at least 24 hours before, it'll give you a clearer transparency and if anything goes wrong with your painting, everything can be removed with Ammonia.

Go to the Tips and Techniques section for canopy finishing.

Curt

Edited by Netz

Another tip for you: to remove paint from clear plastic (like if your brush slipped while painting a frame line) use the tip of a wooden toothpick to rub the paint off. It won't hurt the plastic, but it will scrape the paint off. You don't need to use much pressure at all, and if the canopy frame is marked with a raised line (as most are) you can use that line as a guide to rub the tip of the toothpick along and give yourself a nice, sharp delineation along the canopy frame. Sometimes the rubbing from the toothpick will very slightly "mar" the clear plastic - nothing bad, but it might look a little "whitish". If so try buffing with an old cotton t-shirt. That will often bring it back to "good enough" in the shine department.

What parts do you need for the A-4? I might be able to help.

Jeff

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and this is my first post. Also, I've only recently started building model planes. I'm loving it so far but I'm learning as I go and making plenty of mistakes along the way. However, I have completely messed up the canopies of the first two aircraft I have built (Hasegawa A-4E/F & EA-6B). Does anyone know where I can buy these spare parts without having to order completely new models? Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm glad to be here!

Thanks!

prowlermodel.jpg

Please disregard my last post. I see you need a canopy. I have one for the A-4 if you still need it.

Jeff

Thanks!

prowlermodel.jpg