Italeri Gunship

"Now the big question,should I want to make her a more modern Gunship (not the "U"),can I get away with just using 4 bladed props instead of the 3 bladed? I'd sure like to build this:"

A quick answer... Yes

You would be looking for reference pics in the mid 90's then. I think the A model gunships were retired in 96? That pic was taken after retirement. I think that plane is in the USAF museum, so a lot of pics should be available of her. You say a more modern Gunship, Well you also have to discount the H model Gunships then. Be specific in your searches and look for "AC-130A Spectre Gunship" or you will get all three types in your searches. As for just changing the props you should be okay, however there are some subtle external visual differences that happened between Desert Storm and retirement. For example...

The search light in the tail was removed and fared over, leaving just a fairing. The stars and bars on the left side is where this light was mounted. The plane in the USAF museum has the close out panel removed and the light re-installed FYI.

A normal FLIR ball was installed where the old large FLIR ball (that is included in the kit) is mounted not under the nose.

The mini guns were removed leaving just the 20MM's and the twin 40's. The gun fairings were also left behind and the holes blanked out.

Most of the other differences are standard C-130 model differences... I could make a HUGE list of A model Herk differences...... Just pay attention to what references you are looking at. If you need help feel free to ask me. I am by no means an expert on A models, but I know a bit. This is also not a complete list... It's just off the top of my head.

Curt