OT: which is better FNP 9 or the Sig Sauer 2022

I own an FN Five-Seven, but I'm a HUGE Springfield XD guy. I do not, nor have I ever, owned a Sig, but not that I dislike them or anything....just always found a pistol I liked more than a Sig. I never could beat the Springer. Eats EVERY ammo and is very accurate.

I know that the XD wasn't one of your options, but I've sold 5 XDs for Springfield just by letting others shoot mine. They all loved it.

I'll be honest, I'm not a Sig aficionado. I assume they are good pistols. I've only shot 2. Didn't have a bad experience, just always went back to a Springer. I own the Five-Seven just because of the cool factor. It is a unique weapon, and I always wondered how long it would be around.

But....of the two you listed, I'd choose the FN.....only because I have more experience with them.

If the pistol is for self-defense, try to see if you can shoot both before you buy (i.e. see if friends have the guns so you can try them out before you buy). Most pistols now are very accurate and very reliable. Some more than others, but pistols have come a long way in just the last 20 years.

In reality.....I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Don't worry about "groups at 25 yards" as most pistol reviews talk about. Not only is that a non-practical benchmark, but most people can't duplicate their results anyways. If a reviewer says he shot a 2" group at 25 yards with a pistol, you'll probably get frustrated trying to duplicate his results...even if you had the EXACT same pistol he used. More realistic test is:

A. Try to hit a cantaloupe-sized object at 7 to 10 paces with every round in the magazine.

B. Next, try to rapid-fire two full magazines with two different types of ammo mixed in each magazine.

If the weapon you choose passes those two tests, with no failures to feed or eject, it is the right weapon for you.

Happy shooting.

I own an FN Five-Seven, but I'm a HUGE Springfield XD guy. I do not, nor have I ever, owned a Sig, but not that I dislike them or anything....just always found a pistol I liked more than a Sig. I never could beat the Springer. Eats EVERY ammo and is very accurate.

I know that the XD wasn't one of your options, but I've sold 5 XDs for Springfield just by letting others shoot mine. They all loved it.

I'll be honest, I'm not a Sig aficionado. I assume they are good pistols. I've only shot 2. Didn't have a bad experience, just always went back to a Springer. I own the Five-Seven just because of the cool factor. It is a unique weapon, and I always wondered how long it would be around.

But....of the two you listed, I'd choose the FN.....only because I have more experience with them.

If the pistol is for self-defense, try to see if you can shoot both before you buy (i.e. see if friends have the guns so you can try them out before you buy). Most pistols now are very accurate and very reliable. Some more than others, but pistols have come a long way in just the last 20 years.

Don't worry about "groups at 25 yards" as most pistol reviews talk about. Not only is that a non-practical benchmark, but most people can't duplicate their results anyways. If a reviewer says he shot a 2" group at 25 yards with a pistol, you'll probably get frustrated trying to duplicate his results...even if you had the EXACT same pistol he used. More realistic test is:

A. Try to hit a cantaloupe-sized object at 7 to 10 paces with every round in the magazine.

B. Next, try to rapid-fire two full magazines with two different types of ammo mixed in each magazine.

If the weapon you choose passes those two tests, with no failures to feed or eject, it is the right weapon for you.

Happy shooting.

Happy shooting.

i saw an FN at the Pro Bass Store and the Sig at Academy. i dobnot think they let you try the guns first before buying them, don't they?

thanks, B-1 Nut

The only Sig I own is a P-226 in 9mm but its the most accuratte OOB handgun I own at the moment. I would say handle both then decide.

For round count in 9mm I lean to the FN, but don't know what you want on a pistol.

i saw an FN at the Pro Bass Store and the Sig at Academy. i dobnot think they let you try the guns first before buying them, don't they?

thanks, B-1 Nut

Oh, no they don't.

I figured you were at a gun shop.

A lot of times, they will let you shoot a used gun if you are really interested in purchasing one. Bass Pro and Academy won't let you do that.

Do you have any friends or co workers that have one of these pistols for you to try out?

If not, I think you'll pleased with either pistol.

Spend some time handling them at the store. See if one sits "truer" in your hand than the other one. A lot of times, accuracy is based upon how good the gun feels to you. Get the sales person to show you how it is disassembled for cleaning. If it is very difficult, it may be a turn off.

Lastly, ask them if you can dry-fire the weapon. See how the trigger breaks. Is the break clean? Is it gritty? Is there a lot of travel in the trigger before you feel contact with the "firing pin release". You can tell a lot about a pistol from the way its trigger behaves.

Good FNP9 Review

Very good Sig 2022 Review

Edited by B-1 Nut
Standard Service Issue L1A1 Browning for me!! Never let me down,it's the British forces equivalent of your old .45 'Slabsides'....

browning_hp_6.jpg

I love the HP 35 or Browning High Power as we call it here in the colonies <_< I've 3 of em, 1 "Standard" (Blue Finish), one "Matt" (Military finish) and one with what's know as the SFS fire system safety installed. All 9mm

I had a 4th but traded it for a CZ-85 in 9mm, sometimes regret that....

I've owned a number of SIGs, but the 2022 was about the only one that I've ever gotten rid of. I had one in .40 cal, and didn't care for it as it was DAO and the trigger was quite heavy. It didn't have an external safety lever IIRC, but I'm not sure any of the SIGs do. My 220, 226, 228, and 229 all have decocking levers. I can't say I've seen a SIG wiith an external safety lever, but I haven't owned the 232 or their .22 Mosquito. SIG seems to be better known for their metal frame guns than their polymer guns, although their newer 250 isn't bad. If you want a SIG polymer gun, I'd go for the 250 over the 2022.

I have an FNP-45 - shoots better than any pistol I've ever handled; weighted perfectly and shoots far smoother than any other pistol I've touched. In my opinion its better in performance to the XD, any of the sigs; and especially the M&P 45. The newer FNP-9s are designed after the FNP-45 due to the success of that platform. Ultimately, you can't go wrong with it - and though its a FN weapon - its made in Fredricksburg VA, so its a nice piece of American made technology at an pretty affordable price.

My 2 cents worth.

Don't go that much for the new fangled stuff. For concealed carry, I have a 1938 Sauer .32 auto. With Silvertips, it would be adequate in most situations. If Ineed more fire power, my old .45 auto is more than enough. With any well made pistol, famialarity and much practice are the key. Comfortability in the hand and concealment come next. I personally don't care for the 9mm cartrige, and theonly pistol I own chambered for it is a 1916 DWM Luger. (I'd never carry that for a defense weapon, besides my dislike of the cartrige, it doesn't fit my hand well, and is a bear to carry concealed.)

I have a Mod 19 Smith I can drive tacks with at 50 ft, and a Smith Mod 36 I used to carry as a constable, also, if I feel wheelgunish Hal SrAR

I have an FNP-45 - shoots better than any pistol I've ever handled....... In my opinion its better in performance to the XD

Thanks a lot! I've got to shoot one now.

I like the look and feel of FN's pistols, but other than the Five-Seven (which is like owning a frickin' laser beam), I have no real experience with them.

Been wondering how their real pistols shot.

Been thinking about picking up one of the new XDM 45s., might have to look at the FNP 45.

However.....all guns are on hold until I get my 1911. Always wanted one, I've almost amassed the disposable cash to buy one.

Dann...whichever weapon you end up with, make sure to satisfy us gun lovers with a couple of pics!

The only Sig I own is a P-226 in 9mm but its the most accuratte OOB handgun I own at the moment. I would say handle both then decide.

I just got a 9mm P226 for my birthday 2 weeks ago, and I can vouch for this. Not to mention the Sig is a breeze to fieldstrip, clean and put back together. My #1 gun is still my Beretta 92, but even after one approx. 250-round range session with the Sig, it became a very, very close second.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123
Thanks a lot! I've got to shoot one now.

I like the look and feel of FN's pistols, but other than the Five-Seven (which is like owning a frickin' laser beam), I have no real experience with them.

Been wondering how their real pistols shot.

Been thinking about picking up one of the new XDM 45s., might have to look at the FNP 45.

However.....all guns are on hold until I get my 1911. Always wanted one, I've almost amassed the disposable cash to buy one.

Dann...whichever weapon you end up with, make sure to satisfy us gun lovers with a couple of pics!

PM Inbound, my friend :whistle:

I just got a 9mm P226 for my birthday 2 weeks ago, and I can vouch for this. Not to mention the Sig is a breeze to fieldstrip, clean and put back together. My #1 gun is still my Beretta 92, but even after one approx. 250-round range session with the Sig, it became a very, very close second.

Actually, the FNP fires a lot better than the Beretta does - and I'm not just saying that, I've had plenty of trigger time on that weapon; my FNP-45 fires a heck of a lot smoother with a .45 ACP than that beretta does with a 9mm. Not to mention the trigger pull is oh-so-smooth; which is one of the reasons it out-paces the competition (especially weapons like the XD, Glock and M&P). As far as field stripping goes - it's pretty simple as it breaks down into 4 groups (Upper reciever/slide; lower reciever; barrel; guide rod/spring); once again surpassing the beretta in ease and simplicity.

PM Inbound, my friend :D

Actually, the FNP fires a lot better than the Beretta does - and I'm not just saying that, I've had plenty of trigger time on that weapon; my FNP-45 fires a heck of a lot smoother with a .45 ACP than that beretta does with a 9mm. Not to mention the trigger pull is oh-so-smooth; which is one of the reasons it out-paces the competition (especially weapons like the XD, Glock and M&P). As far as field stripping goes - it's pretty simple as it breaks down into 4 groups (Upper reciever/slide; lower reciever; barrel; guide rod/spring); once again surpassing the beretta in ease and simplicity.

Now you've piqued my curiosity as far as the FNP goes...I'd like to give one of those a try. I've tried the XD and the XD-M, and those are nice guns. I own a Glock 23 and I must say, that is the gun I regret buying most. I'm not saying the Glock is a lousy gun, matter of fact it's far from that, but it's just not "me". For some reason, I've just never been able to get used to it.

I read somewhere that the US Military were ditching the Baretta 92 & going back to the old .45 Cal.

The only problems we've had with the old Browning was about 20 years ago,the was a faulty batch of Firing Pin Retaining Plates.These had a habit of fractuing on the inner face,which in turn,jammed the firing pin forwards,resulting in the gun going full auto!!

We had to remove the plate on each one before & on return to the Armoury & inspect it under a magnifying glass. Never came accross one going full auto myself howver I suspect that at the time,it was mainly down to the MoD buying the cheapest kit possible as the was a spate of crap kit doing the rounds in the RAF/HM Forces at the time.

(Dodgy 9mil ammo from Pakistan....cheap combat jackets & trousers that did'nt last...yada yada yada...)

Standard Service Issue L1A1 Browning for me!! Never let me down,it's the British forces equivalent of your old .45 'Slabsides'....

browning_hp_6.jpg

You got that wrong. The FN High Power is the L9A1

The L1A1 is the inch pattern semiauto only FN FAL

But yes, I agree, FN High Powers rule.

You got that wrong. The FN High Power is the L9A1

The L1A1 is the inch pattern semiauto only FN FAL

But yes, I agree, FN High Powers rule.

I always get those the wrong way round!! :) Considering I'm an ex RAF Armourer & have handled them more times than you've had hot dinners.... :coolio:

Even carrieing the 9mil for protection when the IRA were active in the 80's & 90's when I was at home....

I'm calling old age on this one! :salute:

I read somewhere that the US Military were ditching the Baretta 92 & going back to the old .45 Cal.

It's been discussed. Some Force Recon Marine units never stopped using the 1911.

The US Army discovered the biggest problem with the 9mm round is stopping power in urban combat like they've been doing in Iraq. Most modern effective 9mm rounds on the market are hollow point and the Geneva Convention prohibits their use.

Same thing with the popular .40 Smith and Wesson round alot of US police depts use now, its most effective rounds are hollow point also. The theory is the .45 ACP has plenty on stopping without the need of the hollow point plus the 9mm travels much faster, you get more through and through wounds with FMJ Nato rounds that ain't stopping the bad guys like they would like.

I remember reading about you Brits having trouble with HP's slides cracking from too hot of ammo being used.

I do remember seeing a photo of Prince Henry (Luftenant Wales) carrying a Hi Power in a shoulder holster during his short tour (bravo to him for trying) in country. I was suprised since I thought the Brits had switched to Sig 226's, nice to see him using a old school HP

It's been discussed. Some Force Recon Marine units never stopped using the 1911.

The US Army discovered the biggest problem with the 9mm round is stopping power in urban combat like they've been doing in Iraq. Most modern effective 9mm rounds on the market are hollow point and the Geneva Convention prohibits their use.

Same thing with the popular .40 Smith and Wesson round alot of US police depts use now, its most effective rounds are hollow point also. The theory is the .45 ACP has plenty on stopping without the need of the hollow point plus the 9mm travels much faster, you get more through and through wounds with FMJ Nato rounds that ain't stopping the bad guys like they would like.

I remember reading about you Brits having trouble with HP's slides cracking from too hot of ammo being used.

I do remember seeing a photo of Prince Henry (Luftenant Wales) carrying a Hi Power in a shoulder holster during his short tour (bravo to him for trying) in country. I was suprised since I thought the Brits had switched to Sig 226's, nice to see him using a old school HP

No,sig's are only used by certain units in Afghanistan,mainly by drivers or vehicle commanders where a L85A2 is'nt practicle.Some units do have the SA80 Carbine but not many from what I gather.

The Browning's slides were'nt cracking,it was the plate I refered to earlier.