New Ace Combat game

Looks great but I'm a little skeptical with the real world environments now though ...

I guess they are abandoning the world they created in the series up to AC6 ...

I am happy they are finally doing an AC game on the PS3 though ... 'Bout Time ...

Gregg

I just like the idea that they are taking concepts from newer FPS and applying them to a fighter game. I also love the fact that you can do thrust vectoring moves.

I was never a fan of flight sims. To technical. I like the story, I like the game part of it. I loved AC5... it was like a RPG about a group of rookie pilots who come together to become a legendary squadron.

I just like the idea that they are taking concepts from newer FPS and applying them to a fighter game. I also love the fact that you can do thrust vectoring moves.

I was never a fan of flight sims. To technical. I like the story, I like the game part of it. I loved AC5... it was like a RPG about a group of rookie pilots who come together to become a legendary squadron.

Yeah, I love AC5 too, still my favorite in the series ...

Gregg

Ooooh a new AC game! Loved AC5, AC thingamajig and AC:6!

That would have been AC Zero.

I logged tons of hours on AC5, only about 2 hours on ACZ before my kids destroyed the disc. Have yet to play AC6.

Can't wait for AC7 and thanks for the heads up on HAWX 2.

I'd like to see an AC game with more old jets from the 50's, 60's and 70's. Fly some century-series jets, or an A-4 or F-8. They could call it "Ace Combat: Legends"

Edited by wh1skea

For some reason I just couldnt get into HAWX. It is sitting next to my office PS3 begging to be picked up again... I think AC5 set the bar for fighter jet games for me. I never finished AC0, the story was weak.

For some reason I just couldnt get into HAWX. It is sitting next to my office PS3 begging to be picked up again... I think AC5 set the bar for fighter jet games for me. I never finished AC0, the story was weak.

I've gotten about halfway through one play through of HAWX, I was really disappointed in the graphics and controls plus the story was rather lacking ... AC5 and AC:Z looked better on PS2 than HAWX does on PS3 ...

I missed getting AC:Z on the first release go around but recently picked it up at a Gamestop used for $15 in great condition, although the story is a prequel to AC5, I found it not as engaging as the AC5 storyline either ...

I agree, AC5 was just a great game all around ... I don't have a 360 so I haven't played AC6 or Over G Fighters ...

Gregg

Dont bother with AC6. They took AC5, changed the story and the color of the menus (really, the menus are red instead of blue), a slight bump in quality (very slight) and called it AC6. I actually got a 360 just for this game... I traded the 360 for a second PS3. Maybe it is better than that... but between feeling betrayed for abandoning the Playstation and the thinly veiled copy of AC5, I was very disappointed.

Maybe my standards for games are just getting too high. I waited years for Final Fantasy XIII to come out, I loved the FF series. They built up the game sooooo much, then it was just average :( There is no passion, no angst, it just seems so forced. Maybe it is time for the game industry to start remaking old games (like the Hollywood is remaking alot of old movies). Imagine FFVII in bleeding edge quality graphics? It would be the best selling game in history. How about the original Top Gun game? Tom Cruise creeps me out now, but wouldnt it be great! ****** about the F-14 being retired, he goes on one last mission to take out a T-50 prototype stoled by Iran with the help of some luscious Russian fighter chick (who kicks his *** earlier in the game with a SU-33 during a friendly US/Russia naval war game). The first generation of gamers are now adults with alot more money to spend... look at MW2! It out sold alot of big box office movies, and you get more for your money from it.

[/rant]

Edited by Oroka

I hope that they don't ruin it by leaving strangereal, except for 6 I played all of them. Joint assault is to be released in September and it will be the first which is set in the real world.

Now without Yuktobania and Osea we have to await what Russia and the US will do in Assault Horizon.

According to the trailer, music is still Ace Combat-like because the music of Ace Combat was and still is a highlight.

Edited by Zeeman

I'm more of a realistic simulator fan (FSX). I have played some of the AC games, but like Lock n' Load said - they're a bit too arcadey - I suppose that's the point though.

The games are usually very visually stunning though, and the story lines are pretty interesting. I like all that "what-if" stuff. But they aren't realistic at all. :( Maybe these will be different.

Don't forget, H.A.W.X. 2 comes out next month ...

>>> Trailer <<<

I was disappointed in the first one, this one looks a little better but ... I'll wait for the price drop ...

Gregg

Downloaded the demo for hawx2 and was still disappointed like with the first game. Still the same weak over arcadey gameplay in which a lot of stuff they try to assist you, holding your hands and stuff but it's more bothersome rather than helpful. The assistance mode (that 3rd person view with super maneuverability) still sucks. I consider it their gameplay solution to a problem that wasn't there in the first place, and hinders more than helping.

Let's see, one of my biggest gripes with hawx was the cockpit view, it was a mash-up of fictitious instruments & displays and your cockpit glass projector and game display HUD was turned off ***!?. Now they somewhat corrected it, most instruments still don't work, but you sitll retain a somewhat simplified display HUD. The assist mode still doesn't have anything to help you aim.

The first mission pits you against some separatist russians that stole some TU-160 bombers, your usual shot them down stuff. The second part of the mission you have to shoot down some Su-24 and 34 which constantly use flares to make you lose your lock or missile miss. Now after the mission comes the bad part.

Ace Combat's mid-air refueling is simplified but gets the job done. They added refueling to hawx 2, but their mix of realism and holding your hands assistance again, messes up the whole experience. Once you take course towards the tanker you press a button to start refueling sequence. Now it turns into a sort of forced 3rd person, on rails a approach. You still need to manouver/accelerate or slow down to fine tune you approach, but the frigging 3rd person messes my aim. They also limit your speed to 250kts and it's hilarous how you turn on your afterburners and yet you won't go past a crawling speed of 280 kts... so much realism for you.

The second mission you have a night bombing. Now many fanboys in other forums mention how realistic and detailed are the aircrafts in HAWX2. That's a joke! You take off from a super carrier in an F-35, it should be a C model but looks more a mash-up of X-35A and F-35A. External appearance looks like an X-35A with some F-35A lumps and bumps added, not a C with bigger wings and stabs. Another messed up visual detail were the landing gear shock absorbers which were depicted extended as if there was no weight on the gears. Another clue that it wasn't a C, was no twin wheel NLG. The interior had the glass HUD of an X-35 and the big touchscreen of an F-35. The whole mission is carried out in night vision. Now when you approach the first target group of ships, you press a button to enter the precision bombing mode. Npw your plane is flying on rails, and you just move/zoom your targeting camera and aim for the targets and shoot. And I mean shoot the bombs, because they launch like missiles towards the target. I see but of course the icon of your bombs look more like an AIM-9 sidewinder than a bomb lol. BTW if you leave the precision bombing mode by mistake you can't enter it again... After the bombing, you pass through the city avoiding some AA fire and then bomb an airfield with some planes before they take-off.

Once everything is done, you return to the carrier. Once again, I can't describe it but their mix of simplistic and unhelpful displays, holding your hands assistance and attempt at being more realistic than the previous game messes up the whole landing experience.

I am still eagerly awaiting for AC:AH. The Ace Combat series is still my favorite because over the years they have retained that thin balance of arcade gameplay yet retain some traces of realism into the various elements that makes if enjoyable and not frustrating, everything supported by a good story. AC:AH trailer makes the new game seem like the bastard child of MW2 and HAWX but I reserve my comments till we have a finished game. Also not to be grouped with the arcade flight game fanboy base, I also have and enjoy LO:MAC and FSX! but if I want to feel like a movie hero and shoot planes down I come back to AC.

No use in lying to myself, I'll probably get both. Do you guys remember Aero Elite Combat Acedemy for PS2? Best console sim ever!

Yup, I do, I do ... I still have mine in fact ... I like doing the Scramble missions ...

It's also fun to do airshow demos in Free Flight mode from take off to landing and then watch the show afterwards ...

Gregg