My first Hornet (Hasegawa 1/48)

Being more of a prop guy, I don't do an awful lot of jets but I still cannot believe it took me this long to do a CF-18. Anyhoo, I hope you like the photos. All comments and critiques/suggestions for improvement are more than welcome.

CF-18016.jpg

CF-18012.jpg

CF-18010.jpg

CF-18002.jpg

CF-18014.jpg

This kit was a lot of fun to build, and while it is no show winner, I like the way it came out. Hope you do too.

Thanks for looking.

:thumbsup:

Mr Cheslo,

The outside photography is excellent and shows of fthe GORGEOUS Hornet magnificently...

Your first Hornet is a credit to you Sir... :salute:

HOLMES :worship::worship:

Thanks Holmes, you are too kind. :salute:

Turned out very nice Jamie. :worship: Couple things for next time, and both are fixable on this one.

Your tail and nose number are for a two seater, single seat hornets all have a 7xx number. Your nav lights are backwards colour wise. Red goes port /left. Green or Blue goes starboard/ right.

But, its still looking mighty fine,assembly, paint-job, stains, gun port and search light all bang on. :worship:

Gentlemen, thank you for the kind words. :worship: Shawn, thanks for the heads- up on my screwing up the nav lights. Those are easy to fix. Not too certain how I am going to switch the tail and nose numbers though.....They are decals. I should have paid closer attention to the call-outs on the instruction sheet. Oh well....

Thanks again guys!

Nice work Jamie. I've recently been dabbling in jets myself, and I have to say that between this, and your activity on the Prowler GB, I'm ever more tempted to try my hand at something in the pointy, gray and boring category.

You somehow manage to make them interesting. Good work

Hey Jamie....ya done good...great in fact, so good I'm thunkin' about doing a Canadian Hornet...super cool paint scheme for a dull grey jet :rolleyes: .

Thanks for the compliment. I agree, the CF-18 can be a very colourful alternative to the standard schemes. Have you checked out some of the crazy commemorative schemes the CAF has put on their display Hornets from time to time? Now those are different! B)

Nice work Jamie. I've recently been dabbling in jets myself, and I have to say that between this, and your activity on the Prowler GB, I'm ever more tempted to try my hand at something in the pointy, gray and boring category.

You somehow manage to make them interesting. Good work

Sometimes it is fun to play on the dark side, isn't it? B) Seriously, Ralph, you should pick up that Kinetic Prowler. It is one good looking kit. I am just about to crack that one open now that the Hornet is just about done. Why not join the GB?

:rolleyes:

Jamie,

Real nice build, The decals were they Arrow Graphics or the Kit supplied??? What paint did you use.....

You can Paint out the '9' and replace with a '7'....

It would look like a spot repaint.......But If you are like me I would just leave it..... and build more.

:jaw-dropping:

Emil

Jamie,

Real nice build, The decals were they Arrow Graphics or the Kit supplied??? What paint did you use.....

You can Paint out the '9' and replace with a '7'....

It would look like a spot repaint.......But If you are like me I would just leave it..... and build more.

:(

Emil

Thanks, Emil. The decals are actually kit supplied, and they were excellent going on. Not typical Hasegawa. I wonder if they contracted out to someone for this version. I have already changed up the nav. lights, they were easy to fix. Good suggestion on changing up the numbers on the nose, but I think I am going to move on at this point. Anyone looking in my display case would never know the difference anyway. Just you guys and myself! ;) Oh yeah, as for the paints, they were all Tamiya airbrushed with my Badger 150. Medium Grey for the undersides, and Intermediate Blue for the top side. Also some Tamiya grey primer in the spray can to add some variation in the shades. :thumbsup:

Edited by Jamie Cheslo
All comments and critiques/suggestions for improvement are more than welcome.

This kit was a lot of fun to build, and while it is no show winner, I like the way it came out. Hope you do too.

Thanks for looking.

:cheers:

Hi Jamie, very nice CF-18. Since you asked and you're likely to build another one of these bugs, I offer the following critiques that are easily accomplished next time. Again, I only offer these comments as constructive ones.

• The formation lights are way too yellow. The real deal is a very faded yellow- almost beige, so decals are often the wrong color (if that's what you used)
  • The front windscreen should be puttied in before painting. I know that many like to add this part at the end, but it always leaves a big gap.

Cheers,

Chuck

Hi Jamie, very nice CF-18. Since you asked and you're likely to build another one of these bugs, I offer the following critiques that are easily accomplished next time. Again, I only offer these comments as constructive ones.

• The formation lights are way too yellow. The real deal is a very faded yellow- almost beige, so decals are often the wrong color (if that's what you used)
  • The front windscreen should be puttied in before painting. I know that many like to add this part at the end, but it always leaves a big gap.

Cheers,

Chuck

Chuck; yes you are right on both parts. The "slime lights"??? are way too bright. They are the kit decals. I think I know how to tone them down, though. I have some weathering powders that are sand coloured. I'll give that a shot. As for the canopy, yep. just easier to paint them separately from the airframe then put them on after. Next Hornet I will challenge myself a little more and putty the windscreen in first. Thanks for the input. Without the suggestions from people who are more experienced we cannot move forward in our skills. :D

Hey Jamie.. good job.

Don't worry too much about mistakes. If this is one of your first jets then it's a good job. I've been building them a long time and still make silly mistakes. I have one of my navigation lights green when it fact (I find out after the build is done) they should be blue (I'd never heard of blue nav lights!)

Research is your friend. When I was working on my 1:32 Hornet, I spent as much time pouring over photos and books as I did building the thing. Before cutting plastic, applying glue, or painting parts, check and double check your references. That would more than likely prevent things like using a 9xx series tail number on a single seater.

One other 'gotcha' with CF-18's is the main landing gear. Canadian hornets have different shock styles than their USN counterparts. No kit that I'm aware of in any scale offers the correct Canadian style shocks so this needs to be corrected by the builder.

That all said, I do like the symmetrical era markings on Canadian aircraft. The two roundels on the upper wings, the Armed Forces/Forces Armées beside the fuselage roundel, and the big bold CANADA just look so much better than the Canada Post letter head and the little block under the tail. The symmetrical era markings just have a more "military" presence about them (which knowing our government, is probably why it was changed).

good job again.

David

Edited by RiderFan
Don't worry too much about mistakes. If this is one of your first jets then it's a good job. I've been building them a long time and still make silly mistakes. I have one of my navigation lights green when it fact (I find out after the build is done) they should be blue (I'd never heard of blue nav lights!)

David,

The Blue NAV light cover is not limited to Military and remember it is not always blue you gotta check your refs. The Blue cover has a Yellow bulb behind it, Usually Green or Clear covers have a Clear or Green bulb respectively. (when the light is turned on green is emitted)

:salute:

Emil

David, Ian. Thanks for the good words, guys. You are right about the research, David. All in all, I really enjoyed building it, and I do like the way it looks in my display case. I am pretty proud of it! Cheers, guys!

:cheers: