WWII Books from the 80's

As a kid in the 80's, I couldn't wait for the allowance to walk the few miles into town, stop at the library for a few books, head over to the news stand for candy, then off to the dime store for a model (usually Revell or Mongram) and a book, usually a $4-5 novel from Bantam (I would devour one of these over a weekend if they had them in stock). I would read 2-3 war novels a week ... usually the Bantam series. As I remember them, they were white background and included stories from all corners of WWII. When I went to college, my mom traded them all in for credit at the used book store...she read romance novels for about 8 years off my stash.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else remembers these and if they're still around. I've tried google and didn't see any...I'll try again as soon as I log off. I'd love to get my hands on a few of them...

Cheers!

p

Yep, I read them too...nice be able to walk out of a bookstore with a decent paperback for just $5. Some in the series were quite good, (they were reprints of earlier texts) and have been again reprinted.

War as I Knew It, by Patton was one. Another was/is Stuka Pilot by Rudel.

A History of the Luftwaffe was pretty good too, and Company Commander by MacDonald is a classic. All of these, among others, are still on my shelves.

:wierdo:

Mike

Those books were a godsend for broke history buffs, I've got a box full from the 70's. Amazon.com is bursting at the seams with them. If you do a search for Bantam War you will get hundreds of hits. You'll probably be able to find your favorites for pocket change + $3.99 shipping of course.

Still have a pile of Bantam Book paperbacks on my shelves that are older than that.

Wing Leader by J.E.Johnson was the first book I ever bought with my own money in 1968 ( I was 10) and I still have that copy. I've read it many times and still find it to be one of the finest air combat autobiographies ever written. It's the book that got me started building my library (which now includes four versions of Wing Leader, one a signed first edition). Even though it's only a mass market paperback and a bit beat up now, that copy of Wing Leader has a place of honour on my shelves.

The cover artwork on some of those were great too...if somewhat imaginative.

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by anotherP51nut