Revell B-17G

I'm a bit surprised they didn't do like Academy, and mold the right fuselage half solid, allowing you to cut out the staggered or unstaggered waist gun opening as necessary. Jennings..can you tell us if an overhead window is provided to enclose the radio room? The top turret does appear a bit tall, but then again it's a test shot..a bit of careful parts prep and it should look fine.

Oh, I take it back about the turbosuperchargers. The center part is missing in the bombay closuep pic. I looked more closely at the full underside view, and the ones on the right wing are complete.

Once again, from the test shots she looks spectacular..certainly the best Fort in 1/72 by a mile. Should be a real cash cow for Revell.

SN

Edited by Steve N

The reason there was no option for staggered waist windows is that to do it *accurately* it would have required a new RH fuselage half. Any other method would have been a compromise. The panel lines on the real B-17G with staggered windows are completely different on the RH side. This is probably a point that could be (and very likely will be) argued from now to eternity. But the bottom, bottom, bottom line is, Revell chose to do it one of two ways. Had they done it the other way, somebody would have griped. Adding an additional RH fuselage half was not possible, so there it is.

Not sure what you mean about the radio compartment hatch. There are actually three of them catering for the different variations.

If you look at the way the kit is broken down, with the various inserts and options, you can make a pretty easy educated guess about other variants. That's all I can say for the moment.

J

Sigh ...

Even as a WWII era modeller, I have only built 4 B-17s, Airfix old one x2 (a fire bomber based upon one I was able to tour inside and out at the Alamogordo NM airport around 1974, and a YB-40 conversion) and Hasegawax2, one as 'Knockout Dropper' and one as 'Nine O Nine'.

Since then I have started, but never finished, an Academy B-17C as a Fortress I, and stockpiled several Academy/Airfix against future construction, now those appear to be quickly headed for obsolecence

On the manned gun radio room window, the window popped in and slid back, leaving open airstream flowing by the gun on the ring mount. That's what you're seeing in those shots, the ring mount and the clear part is pulled inward (like a van side door, only swings in instead of outside the fuselage).

All I can say is WOW!! :D

After almost a year of waiting I can finally put my almost started Academy B-17 somewhere there the dust will take over.

Jennings: How does the rear fuselage interior looks like? full interior, ribs and spars or nothing?

/Tobias

I just hope it doesn't cost $100 like Hasegawa would charge.

The comparable RoG 1/72nd Lancaster kits have a very reasonable MSRP just under €20 - I'd wager the B-17G would be in that ballpark.

Cheers,

Andre

Jennings: How does the rear fuselage interior looks like? full interior, ribs and spars or nothing?

Fuselages don't have spars. Wings have spars. The fuselage has full ribs & stringers all the way back to the aft end of the waist compartment. That's as far as you can realistically see them inside the model. There is much more interior detail all the way from the nose to the tail compared to the 1/48 kits. This is the first B-17 kit that has the shroud over the tail wheel well. Other kits have just had an open hole that's not correct.

J

Fuselages don't have spars. Wings have spars. The fuselage has full ribs & stringers all the way back to the aft end of the waist compartment. That's as far as you can realistically see them inside the model. There is much more interior detail all the way from the nose to the tail compared to the 1/48 kits. This is the first B-17 kit that has the shroud over the tail wheel well. Other kits have just had an open hole that's not correct.

J

Ok, I blame the friday afternoon for my mistake with spars and stringers. :whistle:

Thanks for the info. That sounds like it will be a real goodie on the desk. :thumbsup:

Tobias

Normally I dont like the look of 72nd scale kits because they look all cartoony and out of scale on some things, such as the antenna on this ones nose. But this look's pretty damn good, I agree, scale this one up! The engines look awesome!! Sometimes I wish I wasnt a strictly 48th scale builder.

Normally I dont like the look of 72nd scale kits because they look all cartoony and out of scale on some things, such as the antenna on this ones nose. But this look's pretty damn good, I agree, scale this one up! The engines look awesome!! Sometimes I wish I wasnt a strictly 48th scale builder.

You can't have a 1/48th B-17 in your work desk :D

On the manned gun radio room window, the window popped in and slid back, leaving open airstream flowing by the gun on the ring mount. That's what you're seeing in those shots, the ring mount and the clear part is pulled inward (like a van side door, only swings in instead of outside the fuselage).

The later Gs were sealed up.

This is the first B-17 kit that has the shroud over the tail wheel well. Other kits have just had an open hole that's not correct.

J

I've been using old ball turret parts on the Monovell 1/48 kits for that-just to have something there.

Ken

If the kit is done right it will be the same proportionally as a larger scale kit. I think a lot of people dismiss 1/72 out of hand, I heard one person make a comment once that they won't even look at anything in 1/72. Why the hell not? A nice model is a nice model, period.

The top turret looks like it is too high to me.

I thougt it was just me, it certainly does not look right. Also, no navigators astrodome either. As for the radio operators position, late model G's had the gun deleted, but since this one has the unstaggered waist positions then it would be installed as a closed position.

Could solve the problem of the staggered/unstaggered waist positions by making an insert like they did with the cheek gun positions?

Edited by afspret

You have to remember this is only a test shot. Yes some things don't look like they will jive and stop being so picky. It will look better after they iron out the wrinkles. There is no model anywhere that is 100% perfect. Yes I will buy some of them and I know it will be a good kit you get your true modeling skills out to make it the way you want it to make it right. I wish everybody who ever buys this kit I wish them the very best. I know I am looking forward to it. ;)

You have to remember this is only a test shot. Yes some things don't look like they will jive and stop being so picky. It will look better after they iron out the wrinkles. There is no model anywhere that is 100% perfect. Yes I will buy some of them and I know it will be a good kit you get your true modeling skills out to make it the way you want it to make it right. I wish everybody who ever buys this kit I wish them the very best. I know I am looking forward to it. ;)

Tamiya 1/32nd Spitfire :rofl:

I think there were differant turret types. Look at B-25s, IIRC later 'J's had what were called 'High Hat' turrets that had more headroom than the earlier ones that say the C/D had

There were. It was changed during G production.

Ken

Also, no navigators astrodome either.

Yes there is.

Could solve the problem of the staggered/unstaggered waist positions by making an insert like they did with the cheek gun positions?

Please read back through this thread. Both of these have been covered here.

J

Edited by Jennings
The comparable RoG 1/72nd Lancaster kits have a very reasonable MSRP just under €20 - I'd wager the B-17G would be in that ballpark.

Cheers,

Andre

I got their "new" Ju290A7 for 19.99. I expect the B17G to be less than 30.