Operation Iraqi Freedom closes.

The move itself was a political decision, not made by anybody with anything in mind BUT political favor, has a horrific military implication, etc etc... Might as well post a comment about the Pope and say "Please, no religious discussions here"...

That in mind,

I stand by my comments on my previous post. I wasn't brining up politics, just simple military strategy, tactics, basic warfare, etc.

"imperialism requires a certain dotty élan. Without it, it’s no fun. You’re just a guy holed up in a Third World dump occasionally venturing out in the full RoboCop to pretend to implement some half-***ed multilateral “nation-building†strategy that NATO defence ministers all agreed to at some black-tie banquet in Brussels and then promptly forgot about."

-Mark Steyn, Canadian hate criminal

:thumbsup:

Thanks to all the boys and girls who put everything on the line for their country, the Iraqi people and each other. One hell of a job. When everything blows over and time passes you will look back at these days with pride and feel that you really did something great. To all who were lost, we thankyou, we miss you and we will NEVER forget you.

And a personal thank you goes out to my brother Timmy who served three tours in Iraq and a total 32 months in country fighting the good fight. Welcome back bro, God bless you and I love you.

I know they will have C-130s because everyone does!!

Actually, they've had Herks for some time now. Just this year the unit was turned completely over to them. No US advisors anymore.

BTW, this should be my last rotation over here as I retire in a year. We'll see.

Mark

015-1.jpg

To all who served (including my Brother).

We give thanks for those that returned safe and sound to families and loved ones.

We give thanks to those who returned injured.

We give thanks to those who did not return.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them.

Julien

Folks, this war is not over. Not when there are 56,000 armed US troops left in Iraq - which is about twice as many as we have in Korea, and is more than we had in Vietnam at the time of the 1972 Easter Offensive.

It's over when it's over - when all of our sons, brothers, fathers, and friends (and yes, these days, even daughters and sisters) are home. Until then, saying that it's over is just (surprise!) more BS out of politicians and the five-sided wind tunnel on the Potomac.

That's not politics. It's just the truth.

First I thank all that serve. I have a cousin in an MP unit over in Iraq right now.

Second, historically speaking, we will probably have some sort of military presence there for decades to come. Look at how we still hold bases in Germany, Italy, Japan, South Korea, and Cuba.

Flyingfortress, that was definitely uncalled for.

And I agree, that leaving 56000 men and women behind is not what I would call "leaving" but another try to lie to the public ( with the help of the media who sucks it up )

Please remind me who said that the war was over?

Good question. Makes one wonder what the difference between "combat operations" being over and the "war" being over might be. Or how exactly you can unilaterally "end combat operations" with a war still going on.

Which brings us to another good question: How exactly are "combat operations over" if 56,000 armed soldiers are there, still getting killed in combat?

One would almost think this whole "end of combat operations" thing was a bunch of typical Washington press-release-friendly BS doublespeak.

(P.S. I should say that I have tremendous respect for soldiers who fight on the front lines of a war. For the politicians, brass hats, defense contractors, or media blowhards - of any political stripe - bravely holding down Washington from the back seats of Combat Limos; maybe not so much).

Edited by Antonov

Does just mentioning that something is political make this a "political thread"?

I don't think any of the last posts have been particularly heated, in fact political names and parties have yet to even be mentioned.

All people have pointed out is that the idea of it being "over" seems to be a bit of camouflage that is dangerous to really believe. Lets remember all our servicemen "over there" even if it happens to be in Iraq where the war is Mission Accomplished (again!) I don't think that's political. Just like mentioning that we have troops in South Korea where there is no official peace and Americans are still in danger.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Lets remember that just because we come here to build models, talk models, get away from the real world, whatever the term of the day is, does not mean that we can't have an adult conversation about something happening in the real world. Nobody here is getting worked up about the politics behind the troops being called back, or redeployed to another theater. Folks are just pointing out the obvious, and discussing the ramifications of it.

We're grown ups, having a grown up conversation about a grownup topic. If somebody starts spouting political ideology, or using this as a forum to make personal attacks against somebody they disagree with (as happens frequently at some other sites) then their thread can be deleted, and the conversation can carry on. There is no need to panic people.

Edited by RKic
(P.S. I should say that I have tremendous respect for soldiers who fight on the front lines of a war. For the politicians, brass hats, defense contractors, or media blowhards - of any political stripe - bravely holding down Washington from the back seats of Combat Limos; maybe not so much).

Just FYI...since you've elected to put "defense contractors" on your hit list there. Many defense contractors and DoD civilians spend time with our troops in the field and often find themselves in harm's way as well.