F-16N aggressve Marine

A good friend of mine gave me this kit a little while back with the sole purpose of building this Bird. After hemming and hawing over the actual paint scheme, i'm finally going to give it a go.

So....I picked up the Aires cockpit set and two bobs Old school adversary decal sheet. sitting down to build this set I look over the Aires instructions and start looking over the kit and something doesn't look right. So I pull out A Hasegawa F-16 A kit and look at the fuselage and realize that Aires has re-pooped pits and called it good. No worries...I can hack it right? So here goes.

pict00078574485.jpg

o.k................:facepalm: After Last nights work, I may be thinking this build has bad JUJU already! All the cutting doesn't bug me(I've come to expect that with using aftermarket sets.

I love Aires resin sets, They are packed full of detail and relatively easy to install. However, I do wish the instructions they provide would be accurate:mad:(as stated before the Instructions where copied from a Hase set) and that they took a little more care in packing. As you will see in the next set on images.

Semper Fi

Dan

Cuts ready to be made! Don't mess this up Dan!!!:)

pict0001wz.jpg

Cockpit dry fit after cuts......Whew:thumbs-up: Not Too bad if I do say so myself. a little filler later.

pict0002x.jpg

This is what I mean......The rail was busted off and need some reconstructive surgery(not my strong suit). turned out o.k.

pict0003px.jpg

Then the rail on the Seat was busted and hangin' by a thread and fell off to nowhere!!! So Had to order another!

pict0004fg.jpg

Nice start! I cannot understand why do you what to order a new seat because of this small problem. It is easily corrected by a stretched plastic sprue. Or wire. You corrected the rail - I am sure you can do the seat too.

Nice start! I cannot understand why do you what to order a new seat because of this small problem. It is easily corrected by a stretched plastic sprue. Or wire. You corrected the rail - I am sure you can do the seat too.

Well to be safe I ordered another(I have a second kit ). If I don't like the finished product after the repair I'll have a back-up.

Semper Fi

Dan

I don't know, Mark and Dan doing F-16s, surely this is a sign of the pending 2012 festivities!?! :lol:

Nice start. I have pics of the splinter TopGun F-16 at Palm Springs, but it's not the same A/C.

Looking forward to following your work.

mason

Wow - you have a good friend there, giving you a kit that costs $lots! Nice kit though. Gary Wickham in Australia (ScaleSpot.com) built this kit and it turned out very nice. I remember following his step by step build on his website. Looking forward to seeing how your build progresses, Dan. Good luck with it - I'm sure you'll have fun along the way!

Cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

well....perhaps it's time to add an update. The cockpit is finished and ready for placement in fuselage. The test fitting showed alot of sanding was indeed needed to get the fit just right. The QB seat arrived and looks awesome! Finished painting that sucker and waiting for the future to dry to add a wash then some post shading and chips/wear. I broke down and purchased Sean Hulls exhaust and boy am I glad I did! That thing is friggin' sweet! I'm off this weekend to meet Mark(rampage55) in Watsonville to take in another airshow. So this is it for a few days. When I get back I'll button up this puppy and get to work on the legs!

Semper Fi

Dan

pict00027945079.jpg

pict00057959545.jpg

pict00047952760.jpg

Edited by marine4 ever
A Hasegawa F-16 A kit and look at the fuselage and realize that Aires has re-pooped pits and called it good. No worries...I can hack it right? So here goes.

pict00078574485.jpg

That's not the only thing....the canopy for the Hasegawa "A" Viper fits the Tamiya CJ perfectly, I've had to make a few mods to the canopy rail nothing major. Hasegawa doesn't have one like Tami does. you just paint what's supposed to be the framing around the glass outside and off ya go (IMHO).

Edited by Angels49
  • 1 month later...

It's been awhile since I posted anything on this thread, so here's an update as to where I am with this gal. I stepped away from modeling for a little so I can pursue my other hobby a bit(photography) and just started back at it a few weeks ago. The bird is buttoned up and ready to go. So I did a little pre-shading and dusted her with a top coat of Tac grey. Looking at the paint scheme I decided to take the images provided in the decals and increase the image size to reflect the actual kit to use as a masking template. this seemed to be the easiest solution to this complex pattern. It seems to be working quite well. I have sent all my cameras in to the shop for cleaning, calibrating and a tune-up as I was pretty rough on them in my last few trips. As soon as I get them back I will post images of my progress.

Semper fi

Dan

• 1 month later...

O.k. just so no one thinks I've given up on this bad boy! Here's where I am at the moment. Done with the initial Splinter scheme. I'll go over and do some fine detailing with lighter and darker pigments to give the paint and aged weathered look. I like it so far though.

Semper Fi

Dan

dsc04333n.jpg

dsc04334b.jpg

dsc043350.jpg

dsc04336z.jpg

dsc043370.jpg

dsc04338f.jpg

Wow. That's a seriously goodlooking F16. Love your paintwork.

Thanks hunter, it took about 4-5 hours to mask and paint.

that's awesome!

I have to build one myself one of these days!!!

/Kristian

Thanks Kristian

It's a fun but tedious build. a paint scheme not for the faint of heart. I would do it again, knowing some good shortcuts helped.

Semper Fi

Dan

Dan,

How much did you increase the image size to make the masking templates? Did you photocopy the image and increase it by xx%?

It looks great so far.

I used my scanner/copy printer and increased the size by approx 220% I can't remember the exact number but I believe that's about right. I did this in B/W 'cause this was merely a template. after the light base was applied I cut out the light portions of the template. transferred this to the tape and cut this out and placed in position.

Try the 220% then measure against the kit and adjust as necessary. Like I said i cannot remember the exact number.

Semper Fi

Dan

Nice work on a complex paint job Dan.

One small thing you might want to check - the jet never had the wing leading edge beer can antennae.

You are quite right craig. Not sure how I missed that, but it's an easy enough fix. Thanks for the heads up.

Semper Fi

Dan