1/32 Trumpeter Bf 109F-4 Review

I'm no hater, but regardless of what that reviewer wrote the kit has some serious issues.

What's with the weird rudder?

The spinner looks off too.

I'm not a huge 109 fan but I always wanted a F-4 and it looks like Hasegawa will get my money.

There are some aircraft that Trumpeter cannot seem to get right such as Mustangs, 109s and Spitfires.

Too bad because they did a great job on some others.

Im not a "hater" - what ever that is.. Im a modeler, and this kit ISN"T good news!

If you are interested in building a 109F - this isn't even an average model, it's horrible! If you just want to assemble an overpriced low quality kit - then this is good news!

Huge problems - shape of major components is very obviously incorrect. I can get into details if you like - but overall it's got a lot of issues. Some are nitpicky that don't really matter overall or would be obscure enough that they wouldn't really detract from a nice build. But there are really big honking issues that cannot be so easily excused!

Also - the parts are actually more of a G-2 series (including the canopy and cockpit). You would be just a good to get a hasegawa early G (G2/G4) and put 109F decals on it - that's essentially what this kit is. I bet you can get the hasegawa kit at half the price! The big difference is that the hasegawa kit is much nicer and has more less correct shapes!

Check out that rudder - Hu? I mean that's so off it's not even close!

More importantly, Hasegawa is about to release an acccurate 109F in 1/32 scale - and from what I have seen so far, it's the one a "modeler" will be interested in.

The issue he has with the kits wells isn't really an issue, there were plenty of 109F's with square wells (mostly the early ones - they were planning on installing an aux gear door cover - gave up, installed the round well, then went back to the square well.. Oddly the aux door never showed up until the 109K - and often it was removed).

This kit is probably the worst trumpter kit I have yet to see! The 109E was pretty bad, but this one is over the top! The ONLY way I would buy this kit would be if I need to get some engine bearer arms for a opened up 109 G14/ K/ G10 - it appears to have the correct bearer arms for the DB 605D. But that's the only thing I see that's even remotely useful in there.

(Edited because review was changed to make it more of a review - nicely done)

:woo::tumble:

Edited by FrankC

i am by no way a model expert, nor am i a large scale modeler,i prefer 1/72,but i dable in the odd 1/48 and 1/32,but i do know a hell of alot about 109s, and that one does look rather odd, as pointed out it is more of a G-2 then an F4, and whats more, what on earth is up with all those injector marks on the inside cowling, i havnt seen that in a long time, really suprised by that, if im honest if you want a nice scale F series 109 it would seem you would be better of sticking with hasaagawa, or scaling donw and going for the F2 in 1/48 with Zvezda. my lowly 2 cents

Save your money for the Hasegawa kit- it may have a few small issues, all kits do, but it would have to be carved from soap with a flint rock to be worse than this thing.

And if you don't believe me, simply wait for a writeup from a qualified reviewer who actually does know the subject and is willing to apply a critical eye to the kit.

Lynn

Certainly appears to have some serious flaws, I'll avoid the "fatally flawed" term though, that may be trademarked.... :doh:

Too bad though, if they could have delivered a reasonably accurate kit in the mid $40's they might have had a contender. I won't condemn Trumpeter as a whole because several of their efforts have been quite good, but this one makes you wonder what exactly they were thinking. It's not like there's not a ton of information on this plane available.