C-5 Galaxy - Worlds Largest Aircraft (1968) Lockheed First Flight

A very interesting documentary concerning the C-5 Galaxy, posted by Airboyd on Youtube.

"RELATES STORY OF AN AVIATION MILESTONE, THE C-5 GALAXY. TELLS MANY PROBLEMS INVOLVED IN ITS CONSTRUCTION AND WHY IT WAS MANUFACTURED. DEPICTS UNIQUE FEATURES OF THE AIRCRAFT AND EXPLAINS ITS CAPABILITIES AND SUBSYSTEMS. PREDICTS REVOLUTIONARY IMPACT ON MILITARY AND CIVILIAN TRANSPORTATION. PICTURES ROLL-OUT CEREMONIES AND MAIDEN FLIGHT FROM DOBBINS AFB, GEORGIA."

Enjoy!

Jamal

Hey Guys,

For sure a great aircraft, but also on that first flight, a great Pilot. Mr. Leo Sullivan, flew that first flight, the C-130 first flight, and the P-3 first flight. He has two other great distinctions. Gave my father his Lockheed check ride in the C-130 when he retired from the Marine Corp and went to work there and was the owner of Leo Sullivan's Spin In Tavaern at the end of the runway on highway 41 in Marietta, Ga. A great place! Mr. Sullivan has been a guest of mom and dad's at my home several times when I was going up in Marietta, truly a great guy and an icon in avaition. RIP Leo!

Chuck

F.R.E.D. on final!

I learned to hate C-5's when I was in the A.F. Security Police. Had to guard em in all sorts of weather. Watching them land was like watching an apartment building with wings touch down. The nose wheel system was touchy as well. We'd watch FRED taxi out to take of only to come back because of nose wheel problems.

When I first joined, 1982, the A.F. was in the midst of converting all their C-5A's into C-5B's so once in a while we'd see a FRED with a grey and white fuselage and new green camo wings!

Not all -5A were converted to B models. The C-5A that appeared a Oshkosh this year was one of two like it. In that it had no upper rear deck passenger compartment. This and another aircraft had them removed to facilitate the hauling of booster rockets for NASA (and the AF). It was strange to see the cave even taller than it normally is.

P1520236ec4.jpg

Being a former AF SP myself, C-5s were considered to be either a class A or class B resource, depending on mission, so that is why they required armed protection. I too had to hump an Albert or two in my day. Spent most of my time associated with them either loading or unloading them when they came visiting the places and bases I was at. Back in the early '90s when Yellowstone National Park was burning, we turned 8 of them in a day, unloading all the equipment and personnel brought in to fight the fire...not bad for a SAC base with minimal equipment!

Last year a C-5M made its first appearance at AirVenture. Too quiet! One of my former AF buddies is one of the program managers for the C-5 program...its a rush to see which retires first, him or the C-5. I think he'll retire first, but it won't be long after he does the C-5 will follow. They are starting to send them to AMARG and the fleet is hard pressed to keep parts available to keep them flying. The program ended such a long time ago that spares are easily found. Another great aircraft that needs a replacement on the production line NOW, not after its too late.

Last year a C-5M made its first appearance at AirVenture. Too quiet!

Wasn't that amazing? The C-5M is very impressive. Plus, the father of the pilot of the plane at Airventure last year is an employee of mine so I was a little extra impressed! :jaw-dropping:

:jaw-dropping:

Mike

Not all -5A were converted to B models. The C-5A that appeared a Oshkosh this year was one of two like it. In that it had no upper rear deck passenger compartment. This and another aircraft had them removed to facilitate the hauling of booster rockets for NASA (and the AF). It was strange to see the cave even taller than it normally is.

Wouldn't that be one of the two C-5C models?

Wouldn't that be one of the two C-5C models?

One of the C-5Ms (90024) made it over here to the 'Stan back in early May. I had to do a double take when I noticed the engine nacelles looked different.

Can't comment on the change in sound. It left after my shift was over.

Ish

What a great film. It's quite amazing seeing the Dobbins/Lockheed facilities as they were back then and noting what has changed, and also the things that haven't. It's an interesting parallel for me, as while Fred was there taking to the skies for the first time, I was undergoing final-assembly myself just a few miles south of there and had my "first flight" about a month later. Now, after 42 years I am again in the area attempting to upgrade myself just as Fred goes through the same. Pretty cool.

:thumbsup: