Hi there, ALF! :wub:

Whut brand does it read on the Gold Leaf Adhesive Size bottle? Old World whut...? It wouldn't hurt to use some surgical latex gloves on yer project, y'know. Aside from protectin' hazardous substances goin' thru yer skin, it will also protect the foil already glued to the fuselage of yer build to get oily finger print marks. I use a size of latex gloves a tad smaller than the size of my hand so that the fit feels almost as though I weren't usin' anythin.' As for the breathin;' I got into the habit of wearin' a respirator every time I deal with substances I ain't familiar with or that smell too strong. One ne'er knows whut they are goin' to find out in future 'bout a substance which vapours were thought to be safe to breathe...

Take good care of yer health, bru.

Unc²

Unc squared...

Thanks for the tips on self-protection. Maybe I will practise 'safe modeling' - although even if the latex is really tight, it's just not the same as bare skin... :doh:

The bottle says "Old World Art". I found more info here:

http://www.rexart.com/owa_gold_leafing.html

Thx for looking and caring!

ALF

Maybe I will practise 'safe modeling' - although even if the latex is really tight, it's just not the same as bare skin...

LOL verry funny

the bird looks great your making nice progress

Cheers

Neo

LOL verry funny

the bird looks great your making nice progress

Cheers

Neo

Merci Jael

I'm happier as the foiling goes on - I'm making fewer mistakes, and the easier surfaces around the centre of the fuselage make for an easier time.

ALF

The foiling of the fuselage is almost complete. I realized that I managed to knock out one of the front seat canopy rails, after I saw it next to my tweezers when pulling off some scrap foil. I have since glued it back in.

P1080717.jpg

Next steps will be to foil the exterior portions of the gear doors, and in parallel paint the silver insides of the gear wells, doors, and the struts themselves. I'll use Tamiya acrylic silver for those parts.

ALF

Nice work Alf, your work ethic is an inspiration as are your builds. I wish I could pump them out as fast as you.

I love the 104, I was also lucky enough to get a ride in one!

Fast work is easy Scoob... just compromise on quality!

Ditto on the love for the aircraft type. It's a shame that the newer generations will rarely if ever get to see them fly. Soon, you'll have to hide the fact that you rode in one - it will become the equivalent of admitting you've seen black and white TV or used rabbit ears for reception because you had to!

ALF

That is finishing up very nicely, Bub. It should be completed by the time I get back. I look forward to it.

Speaking of black and white TV and rabbit ears...

8 track tapes...typewriters...rotary dial phones...one speed bikes with coaster brakes...math without pocket calculators...hockey with wooden sticks...typewriters...candy bar, pop and a bag of chips for 25 cents...

Those were the days...all within the last 40 years too!

That is finishing up very nicely, Bub. It should be completed by the time I get back. I look forward to it.

Speaking of black and white TV and rabbit ears...

8 track tapes...typewriters...rotary dial phones...one speed bikes with coaster brakes...math without pocket calculators...hockey with wooden sticks...typewriters...candy bar, pop and a bag of chips for 25 cents...

Those were the days...all within the last 40 years too!

You nailed it Mike. Where does the time go?

Enjoy your trip with SWMBO - and have a brew or two for me. Looking forward to hearing from you after your return.

ALF

Just got back from a day trip to Quebec City with the family. Last night and tonight I made a bit of progress.

Remember this wrinkle just below the front cockpit? I decided to get rid of it.

P1080717.jpg

First step was to cut along the panel lines, and peel off the foil.

P1080718.jpg

I then applied a new piece, and trimmed again along the panel lines. Voila! Not as ugly as before...

P1080719.jpg

Embolded by the success of that, I then went to the back and repaired a few minor problems here and there. I am pleased by how my technique improved as I went along. Foiling is not as scary as it used to be.

P1080720.jpg

Here are the wheels, ready to be glued. I like to use flat black first, then silver dry-brushing. In this case I also added some silver pen to make the metal look more prominent.

P1080723.jpg

It's now sitting up on its legs. Undercarriage is painted (brushed Tamiya acrylic chrome silver). Cockpit painted (rails). I think I will use some very light dabs of silver pen to do some scuffing on the top side rails, especially where the pilots climb in. I have also used my silver pen to do the canopy rails. Things are coming together!

P1080722.jpg

Now it's time to relax and get to bed. Hopefully will get some decalling done tomorrow. By the way, I'm finding that it's a whole lot easier to assemble the undercarriage without the wings installed. I might even wait to get the doors glued in place before putting the wings on.

ALF

More landing gear and finishing progress.

Got the gear installed.

P1080724.jpg

It's hard to get the angle right for the main gear doors that go above the main gear struts. Here is an excellent drawing:

P1080725.jpg

I've installed those doors here.

P1080727.jpg

Finally, some shots of the paint and NMF look, almost at the point where Future and decalling will happen.

P1080726.jpg

P1080728.jpg

Here is the AOA probe attached.

P1080729.jpg

ALF

Looking great, but I'm not sure about that behind the rear cockpit colour.........

DSC_0707.jpg

Could be as this was THE last CF Starfighter, but I think its almost black. Was the earlier colour more grey?

I will say this, I am REALLY considering trying your method, REALLY like the way its coming :woot.gif:

Looking great, but I'm not sure about that behind the rear cockpit colour.........

Could be as this was THE last CF Starfighter, but I think its almost black. Was the earlier colour more grey?

I will say this, I am REALLY considering trying your method, REALLY like the way its coming :lol:

Phantom

I really wasn't sure what colour to do the rear deck. I've done it in grey, green, and dark grey. Now that you mention it, I think you're right about the dark grey tending toward dusty black. When I looked at pics of earlier aircraft, I seem to have seen more of a lighter grey, but the pictures were unclear with lots of reflections on the rear canopy glass, and hard to tell. The more recent pics I've seen of silver aircraft in Cold Lake (red tails, NMF) show dark grey, as do the variegated camo aircraft in Europe.

Looks like I made a boo-boo... oh well. Maybe this will be the excuse I need to procure a big 1/32 single-seater, so I can do it up in kitchen foil, and finally get it right. The only thing I have to find is reasonably-priced decals for a NMF in 1/32 for the CF-104. When I have made as many Starfighters as you have Phantoms, I might just get most of the details right!

Thanks for the comments - looking forward to seeing your version. With kitchen foil, I find that practice makes perfect.

ALF

Decalling well underway...

P1080731.jpg

I like the way the foil is looking under the decals.

P1080732.jpg

Now it's starting to look like the beautiful silver machines we all loved...

P1080738.jpg

I cut some strips of Tamiya tape to make the canopy inner seals or whatever they are. This is an easy way to make it look OK. These strips were present on this aircraft, the F-4, the Voodoo, and others - I always use this method.

P1080742.jpg

I did the transparencies silver colour with a silver pen. Not a perfect job, but a whole lot easier than masking and painting for me.

P1080740.jpg

The glass pieces are almost done. I had a bit of a hard time getting the front one to fit, so I had to chop it down somewhat. I also debated closing or opening the canopies - finally I decided to leave them open, even though I haven't done any of the mirrors or piping inside them. This is one area where this kit is not as nice as its Hasegawa 1/32 brother (canopy details).

P1080743.jpg

A couple empty pill bottles serve nicely as braces until the glue dries.

P1080744.jpg

ALF

DONE!!!!!

I chose the clean configuration (no tip tanks or other stores) because I think it looks really cool. The epitome of missile with a man in it look. My father told me he flew a clean dual when on course to do his Mach 2 run. It had barely enough fuel to get to Mach 2 then zoom back home and land. He said that it wanted to accelerate way beyond Mach 2; it was only the big SLOW light that stopped him. That light came on when the intakes overheated, telling the pilot to slow down. When it came on, he raised the nose and zoomed higher to kill the speed. Being already well above 40,000 feet and climbing while accelerating beyond Mach 2, raising the nose got them very high in a hurry. He said that as he went through 65,000 feet he got scared the engine would flame out (and cause his blood to boil without a pressure suit), so he rolled upside down and pulled down. I think he went through 80,000 feet before it started heading back down.

Talk about impressive performance for something designed in the 50s!!

P1080750.jpg

P1080751.jpg

P1080753.jpg

P1080757.jpg

P1080760.jpg

P1080770.jpg

P1080767.jpg

ALF

Alf,

Great job on the Starfighter. And this is a good thread for those looking to attempt the foil method. Once again I'm impressed with your prolific abilities on the builds. Keep it up buddy.

That last story about your Dad there is amazing. Those numbers are staggering. I can only imagine that the 'pucker factor' was registering off the scale on that flight!! :cheers:

Wow, that looks nice Dan. Great job. Im gonna have to try the kitchen foil some day.

Thanks Charlie

This is the second time I try this method. It is a scary prospect at first, but after some practice it becomes less daunting. It's worth a try!

ALF

Great job, Dan! I still think this is one of the sharpest looking schemes around.

Soooo....what's next?

Cheers,

Sean

Sean

Thanks dude! Next up - the 1/32 T-33 from Czech Models in the Trainers GB. Another aluminum foil job (this was a warm-up for that).

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

ALF,

Outstanding result, my friend. That is very realistic. I'm impressed. You should achieve better results on your T-33 if this was the practice run for that build.

Keep at it buddy.

Mike

ALF,

Outstanding result, my friend. That is very realistic. I'm impressed. You should achieve better results on your T-33 if this was the practice run for that build.

Keep at it buddy.

Mike

Thanks Mike! I was wondering when you would come out of your jet-lagged and Guinness-induced torpor and weigh in... :lol:

I have learned a lot about foiling from this, and I think the T-bird will look pretty good. That was half the reason for the timing of this one. BTW, I changed my mind about entering the T-33 in the Trainers GB. There's only a couple weeks left, and absolutely no way I could do a proper job in that time. I have changed aim points - now the T-33 will be going into the "On Canadian Wings" GB.

In the meantime, I have slipped somewhat toward the dark side. I am starting an F-4E (1/48 Hasegawa) in the Not My Nation GB as a time killer until December when I can do the T-33. The Phantom is a relatively simple build, colour scheme will be easy, and I love the way the kit is going together so nicely. Will post progress very soon.

Nice to have you back, and hope to see you in the Cdn Wings GB as well!

ALF