Mig-31 with 2xR-40, 4xR-33

Dear all,

I just found from airliners.net few pics with Mig-31 that armed with 4xR-33, 2xR-40 missiles:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia---Ai...7309256ed84352b

I thought the Mig-31 can only carries 3 x R-33 if it arms 2xR-40.

Any thoughts on this? Is it just for demonstration purpose only?

Great pictures!

Why would the Mig-31 be limited to only 3 R-33's if carrying 2 R-40's? The 2 R-40's are mounted on the wing pylon and don't interfere with the belly mounted R-33's.

Cheers,

John

Great pictures!

Why would the Mig-31 be limited to only 3 R-33's if carrying 2 R-40's? The 2 R-40's are mounted on the wing pylon and don't interfere with the belly mounted R-33's.

Cheers,

John

It can only carry 3xR-33..an additional pod taken up the space of 1xR-33 is required for guiding the R-40s

It can only carry 3xR-33..an additional pod taken up the space of 1xR-33 is required for guiding the R-40s

This sounds odd. One would think that the required electronics would have been adopted from the Mig-25 and therefore not need an external pod. I also did an extensive web search and every picture I've come up with that shows the R-40 with R-33's shows a complete compliment of 4 R-33's. There's also no mention of the R-33's being limited to 3 when the R-40 is carried.

Do you have a picture of a Mig-31 with the pod when armed with R-33's and R-40's?

Cheers,

John

From Yefim Gordon's 'MiG-25 Foxbat MiG-31 Foxhound' - published by Aerofax......

"Alternative weapons fits are :- three R-33 missiles in fuselage bays and two R-40TD (R-40T) missiles on underwing pylons (the fourth R-33 is replaced by an APP-46TD control system pod for the R-40s)"

Ken

It can only carry 3xR-33

The MiG-31 can physically *carry* four in combination with the two R-40s, but without the APP-46 pod it can't guide the latter.

Still, it makes a good photo op.

Cheers,

Andre

i got 404s and no pics :)

ill try yandex and rambler - since no mig-31 books have pics

** going form the link the mig-31 only used the R-40TD - which wouldent need a pod to function ( being optical). seems to be that the pod is optional for doing radio corrections for the R-40TD or is a possible for the R-40R?

Edited by Raymond

That pod is probably some kind of oneway datalink and can cooperate with both IR and semiactive version of R-40 (better intercept trajectory). But because MiG-31 carries R-33 missiles, R-40R is not needed and only IR version is used

Im pretty sure this pod is a myth; only mentioned by a single source that ive found, and all the operational mig-31 pics with r-40s have 4 R-33s as well

I guess what bugs me is the R-40 was considered in the design from the beginning - why would they not include the necessicary electronics internally (as on early mig-27s), instead sacrificing a missile slot for an external pod, dossnt seem very soviet to me :o

stronger evidence lies with the fact that the R-40 is a lock on before launch weapon, and dossnt utalise a datalink, making a pod uneccessary

the aircrafts IRST provides initial information (as on the earlier mig-25); its hard to imagine the later developed missile/aircraft having a more backwards capacity that its predecessors! B)

with the lack of photos, references, or reason - im putting it down to a yeffim error :D

Edited by Raymond

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewto...532.html#185532

If in short, APP-46 was used on aircrafts produced till 15 production batch(changes were incorporated in 1982 or 1983), early built a/cs were upgraded to carry r-40s without pod, and that thing wasn't used for guidance, it's some kind of launch preparing device. I'm not sure, but I think it was somehow used for cooling r-40t guidance head...

Edited by kfmut

:o !!

awesome Kfmut!, theres the elusive bugger!

in order to be for cooling, wouldent their need to be interal piping to the pylon from that r-33 pylon? definatly sounds plausible - the pod dossnt look particularly sophistcated! :D