Tamiya 1/32 F-4C Phantom

I almost got dizzy with so much stenciling! You must be a very patient man. I'm sure wouldnt be able to do what you just did!!!! :thumbsup::worship:

Congratulations, your Phantom is looking fantastic! Please keep up with the good work and your in progress pictures!

FAB

• 2 weeks later...

Part 24

Masked and painted drop tank noses:

IMG_0198.jpg

.....and after the masking is removed - I'm quite pleased with the result:

IMG_0199.jpg

Now masking the airframe ready for the matt top coat:

IMG_0204.jpg

and again, after the matt coat has dried:

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

The liquid mask pulled the decals off when it was removed - AARGH! (Luckily I had that 'spare' full set from Isradecal!)

IMG_0207.jpg

We're getting there.................

More soon

Edited by gaz262

Part 25

I painted the radome in that rubberised, almost black finish

IMG_0211.jpg

I thought the windshield could do with a trial fit:

IMG_0212.jpg

(note the stubborn tin of Dark Gull Gray being persuaded to stay closed behind the kit!)

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

The canopy centre trial fit:

IMG_0213.jpg

The liquid mask pulled off some of the metallic finish on the intake lip - Grrrrrrr!

IMG_0214.jpg

"Lookit them thar barms man"! Thanks Sean dude!

IMG_0210.jpg

That's all for now - More soon.

Let me know what you think.

Gaz

Edited by gaz262

Wow, this is a pretty fantastic build! You've done a really great job on your F-4C so far.

BUT...

Since it looks so great, I feel I should tell you that you have the wrong seats in there! Early F-4s had MB Mk.H5 seats (up till about 1971), and they are quite different from the Mk.7s you've used. Unfortunately, the only 1/32 Mk.H5s that I know of were produced by Cutting Edge, so they would be difficult to find these days. It might be worth keeping your eyes open for a pair of those seats. There's a review here on ARC at...

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/mete...ec32004/00.shtm

Congratulations on a great looking Phantom!

Part 26

The bombs after some paint - M117s provided by pigsty (thanks again Sean!) over on Britmodeller - they originate from the Trumpy F-105 kit and are far more accurate than the offerings on the A-7E sprues!

IMG_0215.jpg

I decided at the last minute to make something that looked like the photo pod under the port wing pylon in the pic in Part 1 - It was originally a BLU-?? from an Aifix Harrier I think:

IMG_0217.jpg

A bit of sanding and Voila!

IMG_0219.jpg

After painting in 36320 and chrome silver for the nose area - ignore the yellow mess at the front of the bombs - that's been tidied up now!

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

Gaz

Edited by gaz262

Part 27

Work progresses on the canopy frames area after the Verlinden etched metal bits were applied but before the dry-brushing.

IMG_0216.jpg

....and after the dry-brushing - it brings out the details nicely when done with a Hu64 light grey - but don't be too heavy handed!

IMG_0220.jpg

Just a short update this time - more to follow soon.

- The end of the tunnel is now in sight!

Let me know what you think please guys.....

Gaz

Edited by gaz262
Wow, this is a pretty fantastic build! You've done a really great job on your F-4C so far.

BUT...

Since it looks so great, I feel I should tell you that you have the wrong seats in there! Early F-4s had MB Mk.H5 seats (up till about 1971), and they are quite different from the Mk.7s you've used. Unfortunately, the only 1/32 Mk.H5s that I know of were produced by Cutting Edge, so they would be difficult to find these days. It might be worth keeping your eyes open for a pair of those seats. There's a review here on ARC at...

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/mete...ec32004/00.shtm

Congratulations on a great looking Phantom!

Thanks for the info Richard, those Mk.H5 seats seem to have been cast in unobtainium as they are now rarer than rocking-horse droppings! You cannot get them!

The Mk.7s look ok to me for now and will be loosely installed just in case an early resin set of seats materialises....

Thanks for the comments man.

Cheers

Gaz

Part 28

The kits windscreen dry-fitted - All the little additions added around the internal framework! :lol:

IMG_0224.jpg

And from a different angle......

IMG_0228.jpg

The small instrument cluster in the centre of the mid-canopy piece is not accurate for my 'C' bird so it will have to come off to make way for the middle rear-view mirror.....

IMG_0223.jpg

In the meantime - the bare-metal probe was added and painted just aft of the radome...

IMG_0227.jpg

,,,,,and you'll notice....I got me some white stencils! :worship:

IMG_0226.jpg

Next, it's canopy time!

Gaz

Edited by gaz262

Part 29

Masking the clear canopy parts ready for painting......

IMG_0230.jpg

and afterwards......canopy bits laid together before gluing............the front canopy has a warp factor 3 problem - Clamps required here.....Grrrrrrr!

IMG_0233.jpg

Then again with the flash off..............

IMG_0232.jpg

Three of the AIM-7 Sparrows to which I added a thin black line behind the grey seeker head.......

IMG_0234.jpg

Next time - It's a question of the weather........weathering time!!!

(......and I can finally get around to adding the underwing things and finishing this big mutha!) :P

:worship: :lol:

Thanks for looking guys, more soon.

Gaz

Edited by gaz262

Part 33

Some other shots to give it some atmosphere before taking off to the Display Case.....

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

.........................................And that's it!

Some outdoor pics to come up in the Display Case when I can find some dry daylight outside!

Thanks for looking and I hope it's given some inspiration to you Phantom lovers out there.....

Cheers

Gaz

• 2 years later...

Here's my in-progress build on the BIG Tamiya Phantom - I really like the way this turned out - tell me whut y'all think guys?

Currently building the loooong Hasegawa F-104G (for Germany!) Starfighter - Now that's a good kit too! I'll try to post some pics when it comes to fruition.

Cheers

Gaz