1/48th Tamiya Lancaster, Mark I, RAF Squadron 101

Hi guys,

After about 6 months of work, I’ve finally finished a Lancaster build for my uncle, who was a Bomb-Aimer on a Lancaster in the early part of 1945. He along with his crew flew 29 “Ops†without being shot down or captured, which is quite a feat, especially for RAF Squadron 101 in which he flew. Squadron 101 had more sorties over Germany than any other squadron and suffered more casualties than any other squadron. This squadron alone lost 145 Lancasters and had 1,176 killed in action. The mortality rate of Bomber Command overall was a staggering 55%.

I documented this build in the “In Progress†forum, where I tried to demonstrate many changes to the Tamiya kit as well as salt weathering, which I love to do to create a realistic weathered look. You can find this build thread here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=205003

Most of the modern photographs of Lancasters that you see today are of restored birds with new and altered paint jobs, so I purchased many Lancaster books to see what the war time details and weathering patterns were. I think that I got most build and weathering details right, but in hindsight there are many things I would have done differently. Maybe next time!

The parts used are the latest Tamiya 61105 kit, a couple of Eduard photo-etch detail kits and Belcher Bits engines. I used MM enamel and Alclad paints exclusively.

Now for a few pics, but first I’ll post a pic of my uncle (far right) and his flight crew….

Collage2.jpg

I spent quite a bit of time researching what the code letters and serial number was for my uncle’s Lancaster and, with the help of the Lancaster-Archive Forum and my uncle’s log book, found out that it was SR-V2 and ME419 respectively. My uncle requested that some nose art he had taken a picture of during the war be included, so I altered the code to “SR-V†to match this art which was made from scratch.

Decal14.jpg

Unfortunately I found out the hard way that home made decals of light lettering on a dark background do not work very well, so I changed the lettering to white to make sure it would be legible. Since no build is perfect, I wasn’t going to worry about some minor details as long as I still captured the “spirit†of my uncle’s Lanc.

Here, in all her war weary glory, is “Virgin Vickieâ€. You can view all 34 pics here:

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh66/ch...20Pics/?start=0

FinalPlaque.jpg

FinalPlaque3.jpg

Final38.jpg

Final4.jpg

Final8.jpg

Final12.jpg

Final15.jpg

Note the "Window Chute", just ahead of the bomb bay doors near the bottom. "Window" was aluminum foil thrown out to disrupt German radar, so I guess it was the first chaff dispenser! My uncle recalls throwing it out of the bomb-aimer position, so I had to include it...

Final18.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

Hi Chuck,

Your Uncles' Lanc turned out beautifully. :wub:

I think you've achieved a suitably war weary look and the little detail enhancements along the way certainly add to the overall spectacle of the build.

Superb! :(

The photos with the black back ground look very professional. If however you should ever experiment with different coloured (white, light grey or light blue for example) back drops I'd love to see those results too.

Congrats on getting to the finish line in such style. I look forward eagerly to your next endeavour.

:cheers:

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh66/ch...20Pics/?start=0

FinalPlaque.jpg

FinalPlaque3.jpg

chuck540z3...

I LOVE these two photos of yours { THESE stand out to ME} ...Taken SO beautifully and what a wonderful way to show your appreciation and admiration for your

Uncle Will by building this AMAZING LANCASTER.I quite like the Plaque too...NICE! :blink: :jaw-dropping:

I think you should BE VERY PROUD that you have managed to capture the beauty as well its detailing...

JUST AWESOME and STUNNING Build... :jaw-dropping:

I loved reading the History and the background of the sorties that your Uncle,Flying Officer WILLARD SAWYER,Bomb Aimer was involved in...UNBELIEVABLE!

It has been a good thread to follow...

thanks again to your Uncle Will and Squadron 101 for their Services... :jaw-dropping:

Edited by HOLMES

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments and I can tell you that my uncle is thrilled. So much so, in fact, he wants me to bring the model to his next Canadian Aviation Historical Society meeting and give a talk about Lancs and building one. Yikes! :o

The photos with the black back ground look very professional. If however you should ever experiment with different coloured (white, light grey or light blue for example) back drops I'd love to see those results too.

B)

Thanks Guy. On the photography front, I'm still learning every day about that too. The reason for the black was partly to invoke the theme of a night bomber, which of course the Lanc was almost exclusively. I'm getting better at white balancing to make sure the colors come out correct, but I still have a way to go, as evidenced by the various shades of green which are really the same color. I really should build a photography booth, but with most of my builds being about 2 feet long, it would be huge and I really don't want to store something I use maybe twice a year.

I did, however, get a little creative last night night and took a shot of what the Lanc might have looked like from below to a crew member at night with ground lights. They turned out pretty good as follows....

Final32.jpg

Final33.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3
I LOVE these two photos of yours { THESE stand out to ME} ...Taken SO beautifully and what a wonderful way to show your appreciation and admiration for your

Uncle Will by building this AMAZING LANCASTER.I quite like the Plaque too...NICE! :D :o

I think you should BE VERY PROUD that you have managed to capture the beauty as well its detailing...

JUST AWESOME and STUNNING Build... :wub:

I loved reading the History and the background of the sorties that your Uncle,Flying Officer WILLARD SAWYER,Bobmb Aimer was involved in...UNBELIEVABLE!

It has been a good thread to follow...

thanks again to your Uncle Will and Squadron 101 for their Services...[/size][/font] :salute:

Well thank you sir. As usual, you are the most supportive dude out there for everyone. On behalf of "everyone", we really appreciate it!

Masterpiece!!!

The wearthering is just spot on and it's one of the most impressed model work I've ever seen.

You should take some pics outdoor and I'm sure it'll look like the real plane.

Congratulations!

Cheers,

Yufei

Chuck i can make you jealous as you have made me jealous in looking at your beautiful Lanc'...

I was at the old RAF Ludford Magna bomber base last week not alot to see but knowing

what went off and touching the old runways/peritrack is another feeling i get a sence of loss

and love of waiting 'ground crews' to hear of returning merlins and those that didn't return. :)

ian.