$25 to get into a US air show!

I was planning on going to the Pease/Portsmouth, NH air show this weekend. I checked the website and discovered it's going to cost $25/head to get in. :crying2: I'm not going.

On this side of the ocean that is incredible. I know there are shows here and there that cost more. I attend shows that may have a parking fee. But $25/person at the gate? And, then there are "sold out" passes to get into the static display early...$50, and additional costs to sit on the show line.

Blue Angels and the Brazilian AF team are there plus a long list of flying and non-flying military a/c.

Is this out of line? Or have I led a sheltered life in Down East Maine?

No flames, please.

Rick

Jet fuel isn't cheap and money doesn't grow in tree's. I think that is very reasonable considering what this airshow offers. I just paid $100.00 a car-load at the Abottsford Airshow.

I saw the Thunderbirds at Maguire AFB and it didn't cost me a thing and all the displays were free. A privately sponsered airshow on private property can charge what the market will bare but I still believe that the Military should not participate. Granted its a nice recruiting tool. The price doesn't matter any military display team should be open to the public at no charge and should pick venues that are free. Exception if event is charity and admission is a donation for a good cause ie.. disabled vets or survivors.

TC

Why shouldn't the military participate? Warbirds and modern stuff is a treat.

I paid the carload price at Abbottsford this year.

And the Cold Lake airshow is not free, except for the water-front version.

The Canadian military no longer sponsors airshows from what I know. They brought in an umbrella group in the late nineties and the number of airshows dropped substantiallly. And from what I remember they always charged admission although not in the values you see at Abottsford. I seem to recall never getting enough tickets for my entire family to attend despite being based on the base in question which was holding the airshow.

The only air shows I was able to get into at no cost were the ones I was on duty for. Outside of those I don't think I've ever found a free air show. And $25 is about what it costs me to get into a movie now a days so I really don't think it's a big deal.

Airshow committees have to pay for the fuel of the visiting aircraft, plus the lodging for their crews. Maybe even the food for the crews, but I'm not sure how that works.

When a show is on a military base, those costs come out of that base's budget, so they don't have to charge admission to cover their costs.

Jake

Correct, they pay the fuel, lodging, rental cars, and per diem for meals.

I remember the good old days when the beer companies gave us and endless supply of free beer in Canada. I was drunk the whole weekend.

The only air shows I was able to get into at no cost were the ones I was on duty for. Outside of those I don't think I've ever found a free air show. And $25 is about what it costs me to get into a movie now a days so I really don't think it's a big deal.

I have attended US airshows which were free on US military installations. But Canadian airshows on military bases have always charged a small nominal fee.

To be honest, I've been to quite a few airshows over the years and personally I'm bored to tears by them these days. I guess walking around and sweating my rear end off and dealing with obnoxious people that goto them is a big turn off.

you're not giving in, its not a dod sponsored airshow. its a private one that has incorporated military acts...thats all there is to it. not the first time (even in the area, air fair 92 at westfield cost money) and sure as hell isn't going to be the last time.

thunder over michigan cost money too, and that was damn well worth it.

:woot.gif:, I'm presently sitting in a motel room in Esk, a small country town west of Brisbane. I'm here to attend the QVAG's Watts Bridge Festival of Flight, admission $5, parking in a huge field close to the aircraft parking area is free and the food and refreshments and even the dinner tomorrow night are reasonably priced. The only reason I'm sitting in my room is my car is having the water pump replaced at the local mechanical shop, it failed as I drove into town last night, fortunately in the last couple of hundred metres of a nine hundred odd kilometre trip, otherwise I'd be out looking at and photographing the local sights. Because Festival of Flight is billed as a fly-in and not an airshow the insurance premiums are way way cheaper, so they don't have to charge as much and the public can wander aorund freely on the aircraft parking and movement area, safety is your own responsibility.

:thumbsup:,

Ross.

I don't know what the big deal is. I spent $60 for two tickets to the Abbotsford airshow. $25 is a bargain.

I honestly don't know what the big deal is here either. The California International Airshow in Salinas, CA is currently charging $20 per person ($15 for early on-line orders) for general admission, plus another $15 for parking. Again, these are general admission prices which means tripping over everyone else and not having the greatest seats either. For my wife and I, this is an annual event we look forward to each year and don't mind paying for the nice box seats along the tarmac. These run $35 per person ($30 for early on-line orders) and provide a wonderful view of the entire airshow without the usual obstructions of others in your way if you're trying to take pictures or use the camcorder. Frankly I don't think it's a big deal to pay $25 per person in the least.

Greg

I hate it and it will drive families away from the shows - families that these shows will come to depend on in the future - but in the end, we might end up with the choice of paying $25 to go to an airshow, or having that $25 with no show to go to. That's simple reality.

The way budgets and sponsorships are today, few civilian airshows in North America are much further than one rainy weekend from bankruptcy. Think of all the great shows of the past that no longer exist, including some of the 'free' military ones that fell to the budget axe.

Mike

And, Barnes is a civilian field with MA ANG resident. Same for Pease/Portsmouth, with NH ANG resident. Barnes is $5. Pease is $10 parking +$25 per person+++.

I've been reading all the comments since I started this topic. Seems like it's (unscientifically) about 50-50 on whether it's worth the $$$$.

$25 a seat for a professional sports team or a well-known music act is, indeed, worth the money. But these are well known folks with a long history. Pease is new.

Re Abbotsford: This is an established air show with a proven record of great displays on the ground and in the air. I'd pay $30 for Abbotsford. And RIAT at Fairford is real expensive and the participants are incredible in number and good participation is almost guaranteed. I've paid the price for RIAT, too.

There hasn't been a public open house at Pease in at least 12 years. Given the unpredictability of military participation (i.e. what's invited and advertised vs. what actually shows up) and a new show...not for me.

Not mad anymore, but not happy about it either.

Rick in Maine

I was spoiled by growing up in Southern California in the 70s and 80s where there were 5 to 6 great shows a year, all free ...

The first show I ever went to that charged admission was Air/Space: America 88 in San Diego ... And it was about the worst run show I had been to ... Military Bases have the best trained people to handle the crowds and traffic ...

Gregg

Re Abbotsford: This is an established air show with a proven record of great displays on the ground and in the air. I'd pay $30 for Abbotsford.

I was OK paying the value I paid for my entire family (5 people in total) at the Abottsford show. In fact, they actually knocked it down to $85.00 for me.

We are airplane buffs, I am actually surprised someone is complaining about paying $25.00 to see planes. And how often do those two teams perform together? Once every ten years and not in the same location or even same country?

I truly don't get it.

:D, Think of anyone going to the Australian International Airshow at Avalon then. $15 for parking, then a minimum of I think $30 admission, (can't really say for sure because I booked my seat in the stands weeks ahead last year and that cost me $150 per day for 3 days for a seat in an open stand set up between the runway and taxiway. Never again). In future I'll just turn up on the day if I go again. I spent about 2 hours there over the whole 3 days, the weather was absolutely lousy. And if you want to wander around the statics, and take pics some rubber necker will see you lining up the shot then deliberately go and stand in front of you and jibber crap to his mate/kid/significant other about fantastic or lousy the aircraft you're trying to take a pic of is. If you've worked on or flown the aircraft you know they're jibbering crap trying to impress everyone nearby. I would just look at these clowns, shake my head and ask them if they "would mind moving so I could get my shot, I don't want to stand there all day waiting, oh and by the way Sir, you don't know Jack S**t about this aeroplane." Then when you return to your seat there is another goose who doesn't even have tickets to the stands sitting in your seat. So much for security. When you show this goose your ticket they become (often alcohol fuelled) beligerent and so you have to call security to get them out of your seat.

:bandhead2:,

Ross.

A little perspective ...

A one day Disneyland ticket costs $76.00 for adults and $68.00 for children ! :D

Back in the 80s, we would get Annual Passes to Disneyland and they cost $65.00 for the WHOLE Year ! (Disneyland is open year round) And Parking was free with them then, now you have to pay for parking too ... :bandhead2:

Gregg

All airshows I have been to ( and that's a lot) I have found all to be of excellent value. There is so much to see and do for the whole family. I take my own food to generally cut the cost down.

Have you thought who pays to put on an airshow as I beleive it depends whether it is held on an airbase or private airfield etc..

For a military base show the host has to pay for Fuel & accomodation for visiting aircrew, probably high liability insurance as well.

Try going out for a beer and a movie and see how much that costs

I for one would happily pay more to go to a good airshow.

Just my thoughts

Andrew

That was my point, look how much it costs to go to Disneyland for a day ...

Gregg

Sorry that was a rhetorical "you" for everyone trying to use your perspective quote Gregg...I think it's bed time LOL :bandhead2:

Edited by wakko807
For a military base show the host has to pay for Fuel & accomodation for visiting aircrew, probably high liability insurance as well.

Try going out for a beer and a movie and see how much that costs

I for one would happily pay more to go to a good airshow.

Just my thoughts

Andrew

So you mean the Host AKA People who they are asking Money from again?

Your beer and movie is like me needing to pay to watch my kid play school sports when I already payed to do so.

I was planning on going to the Pease/Portsmouth, NH air show this weekend. I checked the website and discovered it's going to cost $25/head to get in. :) I'm not going.

On this side of the ocean that is incredible. I know there are shows here and there that cost more. I attend shows that may have a parking fee. But $25/person at the gate? And, then there are "sold out" passes to get into the static display early...$50, and additional costs to sit on the show line.

Blue Angels and the Brazilian AF team are there plus a long list of flying and non-flying military a/c.

Is this out of line? Or have I led a sheltered life in Down East Maine?

No flames, please.

Rick

I just paid $23 a ticket for the Duluth Air show, I didn't really think much about it, seems like a fair price. The worst part was that I bought tickets before hand - and then lost them, and had to repurchase. That will probably be the most expensive air show I'll go to.

Brian

Ross has it right.

I just go, watch the show, get some fun pics with my son, and enjoy the show rather than try to milk awesome photos out of it. Better than dropping $ on some movie you will forget in a month.

DSC03034.jpg

A little perspective ...

A one day Disneyland ticket costs $76.00 for adults and $68.00 for children ! :coolio:

Back in the 80s, we would get Annual Passes to Disneyland and they cost $65.00 for the WHOLE Year ! (Disneyland is open year round) And Parking was free with them then, now you have to pay for parking too ... :thumbsup:

Gregg

and that's why we don't do Disney anymore either.