Airbrush Recommendations

I know this is risky, everyone has their favorite, but I'm really interested in some recommendations for a new airbrush. I have been using an old Sears (Badger 150) for about 25 years. It's been great but it just seems like it's wearing out. I've replaced many major components but I'd like to move into the 21st century. I'm hoping that I'll get enough input from the experts here to spot some trend on what would be at least one good option. There are so many manufacturers and options out there that it makes me dizzy.

Here's what I would like:

A good all-around airbrush that will do a reasonable job from fine lines to at least medium coverage.

I don't want to spend a fortune. I feel like I CAN afford just about anything out there but I don't necessarily WANT to spend a lot. I'll pay a sizable cost if I feel like it's worth it.

I like double-action but that's also all I've been exposed to.

I like the detachable cup on the airbrush I have. It keeps me from wasting too much paint and it's relatively easy to clean.

I have, over the years, built mostly aircraft (1/48 and larger) and armor models (1/35). I find that now that I have more money to spend I like the big 1/32 aircraft. I use primarily enamels though I use some acrylics in specific instances.

I appreaciate any and all input and I'm sorry if this is (no doubt) a rehash of a regular topic. I have been debating this for a year or so and have gotten nowhere. I usually go to Iwata's web site, see all the options, my eyes glaze over and I go have a beer. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to humor me with some advice.

My personal opinion: The Badger Patriot is a great all around airbrush. You won't find an airbrush that's easier to clean and take care of and Badger's support is the best. If you want to stay with siphon fed, the Anthem is very good. The Anthem has a wide range of spray and would be good for larger models. If you need more detail capability, it will accept the Patriot needle and tip. There is more info on both on my website.

Don

I don't want to spend a fortune. I feel like I CAN afford just about anything out there but I don't necessarily WANT to spend a lot. I'll pay a sizable cost if I feel like it's worth it.

I like double-action but that's also all I've been exposed to.

I like the detachable cup on the airbrush I have. It keeps me from wasting too much paint and it's relatively easy to clean.

Try to find the airbrushes that you are considering locally and hold them in your hand. Since you have airbrushed over 20 years, your hand will tell you which fits the best. I will also look for a shiny finish inside and out. A good plating means easy cleaning. The same applies to a shiny needle. I will make sure that spares are reasonably priced and available locally.

The Harder & Steenbeck Infinity 2-in-1 will meet all your requirements including the detachable cup.

The Iwata Eclipse HP-CS is cheaper and my personal go to modeling airbrush. It does not have detachable cup.

If you like the quick release type trigger of your old Badger, consider Badger Patriot with fine needle 105F. It releases paint quickly by a bare touch of the trigger and someone prefer it for large scale models. It still have a larger nozzle than the two others even with the fine needle. The finish is a little more industrial. It has enough fine detail capability for all modeling tasks.

All of these have a center-centering nozzle design and are reasonably easy to dis-assemble and clean.

I have, over the years, built mostly aircraft (1/48 and larger) and armor models (1/35). I find that now that I have more money to spend I like the big 1/32 aircraft. I use primarily enamels though I use some acrylics in specific instances.

I appreaciate any and all input and I'm sorry if this is (no doubt) a rehash of a regular topic. I have been debating this for a year or so and have gotten nowhere. I usually go to Iwata's web site, see all the options, my eyes glaze over and I go have a beer. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to humor me with some advice.

If you decide on the Iwata CS. It comes with a 0.35 nozzle for all round and fine detail works. You can added all the parts to change it to 0.5 mm nozzle for larger area spray for less than $20.

I have the Iwata CS, Badger 105F but not the H&S Infinity. I have a H&S Revolution Silverline Solo which shares the same parts as the Infinity.

There can be only one: H&S Infinity. Go for the two in one with two color cups and needles. I recently got one and boy my airbrushing has improved 50% and I've been spraying for 25 years or more!I can actually spray so much better with this brush. It really is an amazing instrument and only takes about half the time your Badger takes to clean.

I am going to buy another just for clear coats as they are that good.I could never spray Future before without problems but with this brush it is no problem.

To me it feels very similar to a Badger to hold and use.

HTH

There can be only one: H&S Infinity. Go for the two in one with two color cups and needles. I recently got one and boy my airbrushing has improved 50% and I've been spraying for 25 years or more!I can actually spray so much better with this brush. It really is an amazing instrument and only takes about half the time your Badger takes to clean.

I am going to buy another just for clear coats as they are that good.I could never spray Future before without problems but with this brush it is no problem.

To me it feels very similar to a Badger to hold and use.

HTH

Just curious. Which airbrush were you using before the H&S?

Don

You'll be happier in the long run if you pony up for two.

I use a Paasche H for general spraying. Cheap, simple, easy to use and clean, and pretty much bulletproof.

For fine line work, The H & S Infinity is as about the best you can buy.

Edited by DutyCat

Thanks for the input. I see a lot of you like H&S Infinity. What is the dial on the nozzle for: "adjustable quick-fix end piece with dial"?

I assume each tip is a set size and has a corresponding needle.

What about availability of parts? If I chose to try this one should I just order a set of spares up front, or accessories?

I think I can keep the old Badger around for general painting. It still works fine for that and the paint cup is plenty big. Looks like the H&S would be good for getting down to better detail painting.

Thanks for the input. I see a lot of you like H&S Infinity. What is the dial on the nozzle for: "adjustable quick-fix end piece with dial"?

I assume each tip is a set size and has a corresponding needle.

What about availability of parts? If I chose to try this one should I just order a set of spares up front, or accessories?

I think I can keep the old Badger around for general painting. It still works fine for that and the paint cup is plenty big. Looks like the H&S would be good for getting down to better detail painting.

The dial on the end piece is to adjust the spray pattern.

For the Infinity and Silverline airbrushes there are several combinations of needle/nozzle and tips you can get. They are .15mm, .20mm, .40mm and .60mm.

Parts can be purchased from http://precisiongermanairbrush.com/

If you live in the United States, they seem to have the best prices on parts for the H&S airbrushes, because they are the distributor.

I gotten parts orders in three days, no need to stock up on spares. Just order what you think you will need from the start.

Edited by terryt