FAA Pilots flying for 242 Sqn RAF in the Battle of Britain

I am building a series of models of aeroplanes flown by Royal Navy Aces. I have Stan Orrs Hellcat Mk I almost complete. William Atkinsons Hellcat MkII complete. Rawling Seafire III build (not yet finished) all in 1/48. Bill Bruens Sea Hurricane in US navy markings, Stan Orrs Fulmar complete in 1/72...

I am currently researching aces Sub Lieutenants R (Dicky) J Cork and R (Jimmy) E Gardner who both flew Hurricanes in 242 Squadron RAF commanded Douglas Bader during the Battle of Britain. Both pilots became aces serving with the RAF.

What I am looking for in particular are the serial number and markings for Jimmy Gardner's Hurricane. The particular aircraft being the one with the "England expects" flag signal running down from the cockpit on the left side of the aeroplane. I would also like to know the same information for Dicky Corks Hurricane. I haven't really decided which Hurricane I am going to build yet but just fancy the "England expects" artwork down the side...

Can anyone help me? There must be RAF experts out there who can help me with the artwork..

Thanks in advance...

Grey Beema..

I can tell you where to look for advice. The FAA Museum has Cork's logbook. Whilst with the RAF, he recorded his aircraft with the code letter, then a slash, then the 4 numbers of the serial. This I remember from when I was chasing his later aircraft. The Museum will be able to provide you with this information, perhaps a photocopy of the relevant pages. This may not identify one particular aircraft, but has to go partway. It has to be one that he flew regularly. I will only warn you that he was not always precise in recording which aircraft he flew - I was told that serial errors are common.

I don't know anything about Gardner, but again the FAAM might.

Well, it went a bit deeper than that. However, it is clear there were no Sea Hurricane Mk.Is in service with cannon, and definitely none on Indomitable at that time. There were only test examples - one or two I don't recall. This is one of those myths.

Cork flew most if not all of 880's SHs, but the most common serial recorded in his logbook wasn't even a Sea Hurricane - it was an RAF Hurricane Mk.1 lost in North Africa. However, if you transpose two of the numbers then lo and behold! you have a Sea Hurricane which is recorded with 880 Sq.

The individual letter has been discovered, and will be published in the next "Stuart Lloyd" book on FAA camouflage and markings. Hopefully.

• 1 year later...