Commercially viable 1/32 Tamiya jet?

As we see the market dominated by Trumpeter issuing all these wonderful kits, tackling subjects we thought would not be touched (e.g. Super Sabre, Crusader, Corsair, etc.) I wondered...

What would the competition, more in particular Tamiya, be able to bring on the market as a commercially viable new jet in 1/32 scale?

The usual suspect at this point is of course the two seat F-16, but let's think out of the box...I'll throw in some:

1. F-14 new tool

2. Upscaled Skyray

3. A-6 Intruder...

Intruder and Mirage from Trumpeter are on the way too.

Seems impossible for Tamiya to keep up with Trumpeter. There's still a huge difference in quality for Tamiya. Prices are a tad higher too.

I don't see Tamiya releasing more then 1 or 2 1/32 kits each year. But when they do, the results are amazing.

So what do we want ? Top quality or 80% quality and more choices ?

As we see the market dominated by Trumpeter issuing all these wonderful kits, tackling subjects we thought would not be touched (e.g. Super Sabre, Crusader, Corsair, etc.) I wondered...

What would the competition, more in particular Tamiya, be able to bring on the market as a commercially viable new jet in 1/32 scale?

The usual suspect at this point is of course the two seat F-16, but let's think out of the box...I'll throw in some:

1. F-14 new tool

2. Upscaled Skyray

3. A-6 Intruder...

How's about a 1/32 P-51D?

I will tell you now that the next kit from Tamiya will be a P-51D Mustang in 32 scale. Their jets are basically dead as far as new developement goes. You will see a ME-109 and FW-190 in 32 scale also from Tamiya. Besides a new F-14 from Tamiya would be in nearly in the $300 market with the same detail as the Spit or Zero.People complain about Trumpy's pricing. I wonder how many would shell out this type of cash.

If it's from Tamiya, I will guess F-104 when it's a jet plane.

- even people who aren't aviation enthusiasts may have heard of this plane

- it's cool looking

- it has been used by the JASDF

This proposition seems reasonable.

Are these really commercially viable propositions ? Objectively ?

Lauren,obviously,the C-5 was a joke,the Magister can be a good candidate but not commercially viable,but a nice plane indeed.I can®t talk objectively,I®m not a market consultant,I®ll talk attending to my modeller wishes,as almost all friends do.

Have to say that I®m sure if Tamiya releases one of those kits,I®ll buy one without opening the box:

-Sepecat Jaguar,any version.

-Mirage F-1,any version.

-Tornado,any version.

-Saab Viggen,why not?

-Fiat Gr.91,even twin seater.

-F-16 twin seater

Are those viable?,you®ll have thousand of different suggs.Meanwhile,I®ll keep on asking for 1/48 T-45 Goshawk and C-2 greyhound...the Prowler was already heard!

I.Martin :whistle:

Lauren,obviously,the C-5 was a joke,the Magister can be a good candidate but not commercially viable,but a nice plane indeed.I can®t talk objectively,I®m not a market consultant,I®ll talk attending to my modeller wishes,as almost all friends do.

Have to say that I®m sure if Tamiya releases one of those kits,I®ll buy one without opening the box:

-Sepecat Jaguar,any version.

-Mirage F-1,any version.

-Tornado,any version.

-Saab Viggen,why not?

-Fiat Gr.91,even twin seater.

-F-16 twin seater

Are those viable?,you®ll have thousand of different suggs.Meanwhile,I®ll keep on asking for 1/48 T-45 Goshawk and C-2 greyhound...the Prowler was already heard!

I.Martin :)

Well I'm not a marketing consultant either but a tech support engineer in a company that make a weird telephone system :) I just try to put aside my own interests, guess what others would like and what would be economically reasonable for manufacturers to produce. Your Viggen proposition could work I think (big coolness factor, was in the Area 88 anime I believe).

Well I'm not a marketing consultant either but a tech support engineer in a company that make a weird telephone system :) I just try to put aside my own interests, guess what others would like and what would be economically reasonable for manufacturers to produce. Your Viggen proposition could work I think (big coolness factor, was in the Area 88 anime I believe).

Then,as you say,our opinions are in vain.Finally they will do a large market research and release what they find convenient and economically profitable.As always.Our choice will be to buy it or not.

And no,I®ve not seen Area 88,always tought that it®s a really beautifull plane with a paint scheme only for real ones.And touched this one too

museoaire2010042.jpg

This poor plane has suffered the inclemency of the weather and his original colour is almost gone.

I.Martin

Being realistic, there seems to be a trend in what Tamiya has produced--at all scales. They don't seem to do jets from other countries besides the U.S. They covered the modern usual suspects, mostly (F-14, F-15, F-16) and it would have been more expected (in the absence of Trumpy) to see other modern U.S. jets. They also like Japanese made WWII and other old stuff, along with the more popular Allied WWII stuff. I remember going to Tamiya Con in the years when that still existed, and they would have a paper for people to list their desired kit, and the most common ones that I would see were 32nd scale AV-8B and 32nd scale Hornet. And they did WHAT with those lists?

Besides a new F-14 from Tamiya would be in nearly in the $300 market with the same detail as the Spit or Zero.People complain about Trumpy's pricing. I wonder how many would shell out this type of cash.

Most people complain about Trumpeter prices because of what they become when the kits get to the U.S. and some other countries and/or they complain about the price being comparable to Tamiya--or even a lot more--while the quality/accuracy is nowhere near that of Tamiya. If they were making Tamiya quality, the prices would almost make sense, and the prices in China would make even more sense.

People swore the next 1/32 kit from Tamiya was going to be a P-51, up until they announced the Spitfire..... :tumble:

That said, I believe the next kit from Tamiya will likely be a prop, since I agree that there are probably very few jet kits that Tamiya would consider commercially viable. Aside from their F-14 long ago, their selection of jets are jets that are extremely popular and have been flown by lots of countries, so they are ripe for multiple purchases from people wanting to do different markings and different versions, with the appropriate aftermarket. There are few jets that have the same appeal, except possibly the F-104 or the Mirage, although the latter seems like a long shot since so far they have only done US jets in the big scale. I don't think anything like the Jaguar, Viggen, F-101, F-102, etc. are on their radar. Although some people may like them, I don't think they have close to the worldwide appeal of the F-4/F-15/F-16. They are probably happy to leave those kits for Trumpeter.

If they release anything new in jets, I think it would likely be a F-104, but more likely they might finally push out the two-seat F-16 or a slatted wing F-4. But with Tamiya, you never really know. They march to their own drummer.

F-86....if done right from the 'A' thru the F-40 with maybe Canadair and Aussie CAC variants.

One thing with it, JASDF useage (think how many Godzilla downed), no available A or E on the market with the 60th anniversary of the Korean war coming up (or already here)

I put the exact thing down here at the Columbus Nats for a 48th Sabre....fits here as well.

Also may not be as exceedingly expensive as a later subject.

Matt

If the focus would be the japanese market: A Mitsubishi F-2 will be the target, but not so interesting outside.

If the worldwide market will be interesting: A Mirage III/V/50 will be a good shot. (It seems Trumpeter 1/32 Mirage will be the 2000).

I feel that all best sellers was already produced, the kit makers are matching the point that they will need to dare to leave the boring point...