BK-117 Rescue helicopter

I work as a crewman for the charity that runs the local fixed wing air ambulance and rescue helicopter so I decided to have a go at replicating the BK-117. It was the first time I've done any scratch building but seems to have turned out alright. It started out as the revell medicopter kit but I painted our local colour scheme. It's almost finished but need some decals made. Any comments and ideas for improvement would be much appreciated.

Cheers

westpacrescuehelicopter013.jpg

westpacrescuehelicopter010.jpg

080.jpg

070.jpg

073.jpg

Edited by dean

thanks guys, Its taken awhile but i'm pleased with how it's coming along. I might try another one once I get better at the scratch building. Thanks for the link, His model was the one that inspired me to give it a go and I've contacted him regarding decals and he's looking into it for me. His detailing and workmanship is unbelievable! My next model will be an RVHP 1:72 metroliner and convert it into the lifeflight fixed wing air ambulance that I work on. Makes it much easier reference wise having access to the actual aircraft.

Cheers

Dean

Hi Dean

Great to see you post your beautiful BK here!

How did the decals from your girlfriends dad look? I am looking into your decals and should hopefully have some news in the next day or 2. Like I said in an email, I would be really proud to have that in my cabinet, and your build has definately lit a fire on getting mine finished!

Beautiful work mate, looking forward to seeing her finished. At least then I will know what to look forward to!

By the way, what red did you use, I really like the shade. I got the colours from the guys who paint the real machines but havent looked into it too much just yet....but that red looks great. It amazes me how each Westpac BK is different, even though at first glance they all look the same.

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Dean

Great to see you post your beautiful BK here!

How did the decals from your girlfriends dad look? I am looking into your decals and should hopefully have some news in the next day or 2. Like I said in an email, I would be really proud to have that in my cabinet, and your build has definately lit a fire on getting mine finished!

Beautiful work mate, looking forward to seeing her finished. At least then I will know what to look forward to!

By the way, what red did you use, I really like the shade. I got the colours from the guys who paint the real machines but havent looked into it too much just yet....but that red looks great. It amazes me how each Westpac BK is different, even though at first glance they all look the same.

Cheers

Anthony

Hi anthony,

Yeah I finally figured out how to put photos up. I've done a bit more on it since these ones were taken so i'll put more up when I get a chance. The decals turned out really well but I could only use 2 of them since he couldn't print white. some of the lettering was done in black instead of white so not only was it not accurate but you wouldn't see them against the darkish red background. I have a USB flash drive with the wellington sponsers logos on it if that'll help your mate.

For the paint I actually used a can of red touch up paint from supercheap that I had laying around. haha. doesn't seem to be quite as bright as the real one but still looks ok.

I noticed the details once I started too, there is alot of small differences between them once you start to look. Our BK doesnt have any windows in the clamshell doors so that saved me alot of hassle.

Your one looks to be coming along nicely, How long til it'll be ready for paint?

Cheers

Dean

I thought that the 2 first pictures were your model :D . I was like "Man ! That that looks so real !" LOL

Your model is cool, and scratchbuilding an helicopter must be kind of tough. Good work :coolio:

Hi,

I wish it was my model. haha. I wouldn't be suprised at all if Anthony from NZ's Westpac BK will look that good when he's finished. I used the Revell medicopter BK-117 kit and just scratchbuilt the winch, oxygen cylinder, some interior details and added various aerials and antennas. Thought I'd start off simple since it was my 1st time. I never thought I'd have the patience to sit down and build something from scratch when it's easier to just follow the instructions but it was really rewarding, especially since it turned out ok. haha.

Cheers

Dean

Hey Dean..........absolutely beautiful! Those doors look fantastic fitted, as does the interior.

You will want to put a glosscoat or future on before you decal it. I have some of the genuine article if you would like me to sling some up to you?

That really does look very cool, I am trying not to get jelous seeing your build so far along!

very inspiring indeed

Cheers

Anthony

Hey Dean..........absolutely beautiful! Those doors look fantastic fitted, as does the interior.

You will want to put a glosscoat or future on before you decal it. I have some of the genuine article if you would like me to sling some up to you?

That really does look very cool, I am trying not to get jelous seeing your build so far along!

very inspiring indeed

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks anthony, that'd be great if you've got some spare. A few tips on application wouldn't go astray either, haha.

You've got nothing to be jelous about, I'm the one that's embarrased putting mine on here after seeing how perfect yours is. I am looking forward to finishing it though and hoping our new kitten doesn't take an interest in it.

Thanks

Dean

Thanks Anthony,

It's getting there. I'm thinking about starting a collection of NZ rescue helicopters once I've finished this one. Since they're mostly Bk's, squirrels and one augusta 119 koala it shouldn't be too difficult.

Decals are sorted, I've sent all the details up so will hear back in the next couple of weeks. I couldn't have finished it without both of your help. I'll post some pics as soon as I put them on.

Cheers

Dean

• 2 months later...

Wow, wow, wow..........awesome Dean!!!!

Thanks for the photo's to my home email, but seeing the larger version is very inspiring. Well done mate, that looks amazing!

I am away on business but seeing your lovely BK really makes me want to get home and work on my one.

Wonderful, and the decals Pete did look fantastic too.

Cheers

Anthony.....off for another look

Absolutely spectacular Dean!

I keep going back to your build photos and admiring your work, when I realised I hadnt commented on the final product!

What more can I say except......WOW!

I hope you dont mind that I posted a link to the NZ Aviation website in the modelling section

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?actio...mp;thread=12402

Cheers for the inspiration

Anthony

Edited by Anthony in NZ